Topics

Word add-on: remove from community add-ons website?

Hi all,

For those who may not know: we actually do have a Microsoft Word add-on that included various functionality prior to NVDA acquiring them, such as track changes and others. Given that this add-on hasn’t graduated from development status and not maintained since 2013, I propose removing this add-on from community add-ons website (both the website and add-on files database). If this is accepted, Word add-on will go dark shortly after NVDA 2019.3 stable version is released.

I'm not opposed to this. I"m not a developer of any add-ons. I can't imagine why it would be needed anymore.

On 11/27/2019 4:39 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi all,

For those who may not know: we actually do have a Microsoft Word add-on that included various functionality prior to NVDA acquiring them, such as track changes and others. Given that this add-on hasn’t graduated from development status and not maintained since 2013, I propose removing this add-on from community add-ons website (both the website and add-on files database). If this is accepted, Word add-on will go dark shortly after NVDA 2019.3 stable version is released.

Seconded, although I'm not sure of the value of waiting even that long.

Luke

On Wed, 27 Nov 2019, Joseph Lee wrote:

For those who may not know: we actually do have a Microsoft Word add-on that included various functionality prior to NVDA acquiring them, such as track
changes and others. Given that this add-on hasn’t graduated from development status and not maintained since 2013, I propose removing this add-on from
community add-ons website (both the website and add-on files database). If this is accepted, Word add-on will go dark shortly after NVDA 2019.3 stable
version is released.

Hi,
At least to let someone who needs to download this add-on a few days to do
so before removing it completely.

Seconded, although I'm not sure of the value of waiting even that long.

Luke

On Wed, 27 Nov 2019, Joseph Lee wrote:

For those who may not know: we actually do have a Microsoft Word
add-on that included various functionality prior to NVDA acquiring
them, such as track changes and others. Given that this add-on hasn?t
graduated from development status and not maintained since 2013, I propose
removing this add-on from community add-ons website (both the website and
add-on files database). If this is accepted, Word add-on will go dark
shortly after NVDA 2019.3 stable version is released.

Brian's Mail list account

I did not even know one was out there, unless it can make an older version of word work better than the current code does, it does seem a little pointless. As I've said I do still use an old version of word at times and find the getting stuck at page breaks and its tendency to take an age to exit a little annoying. The only other funny for older Word versions is the need to use print view rather than normal view to be able to make it work.
I guess I'm a dinosaur, but there are times when one needs to make sure a doc file is working in an old editor for that person who needs it. grin.
If the add on does not help with any of this stuff, then I see no point in it being there.
Brian

bglists@...
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

At least to let someone who needs to download this add-on a few days to do
so before removing it completely.

Seconded, although I'm not sure of the value of waiting even that long.

Luke

On Wed, 27 Nov 2019, Joseph Lee wrote:

For those who may not know: we actually do have a Microsoft Word
add-on that included various functionality prior to NVDA acquiring
them, such as track changes and others. Given that this add-on hasn?t
graduated from development status and not maintained since 2013, I propose
removing this add-on from community add-ons website (both the website and
add-on files database). If this is accepted, Word add-on will go dark
shortly after NVDA 2019.3 stable version is released.

derek riemer

I'd just delete it.

--
Derek Riemer
•    Accessibility enthusiast.

Should we put it in legacy section for now or outright remove it?

> At least to let someone who needs to download this add-on a few days to do
> so before removing it completely.
> Cheers,
> Joseph

Improving the world one byte at a time!        ⠠⠊⠍⠏⠗⠕⠧⠬ ⠸⠺ ⠐⠕ ⠃⠽⠞⠑ ⠁⠞ ⠐⠞⠖
•    Accessibility enthusiast.
•    Open source enthusiast.
•    Skier.

derek riemer

What benefit, besides confusing our users, would we gain from leaving it around?

On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 1:07 PM Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Hi,

Should we put it in legacy section for now or outright remove it?

> At least to let someone who needs to download this add-on a few days to do
> so before removing it completely.
> Cheers,
> Joseph

Nothing – adds more confusion. I’ll send out a community wide announcement in the next ten minutes or so (thanks for keeping my reality in check).