Topics

Windows 10 App Essentials 20.10.2 released, a few notices about add-on development for the next few weeks #addonrelease

Hi all,

Windows 10 App Essentials 20.10.2 is now available. This version includes localization updates and fixes an issue in emoji panel where NVDA may announce first people emoji if this category is selected. It also comes with a fix for Cortana generation 2 (Version 2004 and later) where NVDA doesn’t announce text responses when using most recent Cortana version. As always, you can check for the add-on update via Add-on Updater or visiting community add-ons website.

A few things to note about upcoming Windows 10 App Essentials releases and development snapshots:

  • Version 20.10.2 is the last version to support NVDA 2020.1. Starting in November, NVDA 2020.2 or later will be required (this add-on supports current and immediate past releases, which are 2020.3 and 2020.2, respectively as of time of this post).
  • Starting next week (likely by October 25th snapshot), development snapshots will require NVDA 2020.3. Although the stable version won’t require 2020.3 until next year, I’m doing this early for dev channel subscribers in order to test add-on compatibility with vast internal changes introduced in NVDA 2020.3 that benefits this add-on.
  • Starting in late November (likely around Thanksgiving weekend in United States), development snapshots will not run on November 2019 Update (Version 1909) in preparation for invoking another support policy: Windows 10 App Essentials will be dropping support for Version 1909 in January 2021.
  • Likely in early December, development snapshot users will get an absolute alpha (pilot) build of this add-on i.e. an add-on development snapshot that will require upcoming NVDA 2020.4 which is in development. The content of this alpha build will depend on features the upcoming NVDA version will have around that time.

By the way, if you want to contribute to this add-on, feel free to post issues on GitHub and/or send pull requests. Anyone who are using Windows 10 (at least supported releases) are welcome to contribute, although for best experience, I recommend using latest stable release (Version 2004), or if you are helping out with an Insider Preview feature, use either beta or dev channel builds (speaking of dev channel Insider Preview builds, expect a series of builds this weekend and next week that will bring support for updated emoji panel design, which is way different than what we are used to, according to reports I’m hearing).