Where are settings for SentenceNav addon?

Martin J. Dürst

I'm using various addons and working on their code to find out how to implement some new functionality. I wanted to add some additional setting options to the SentenceNav addon. So as a first step, I wanted to check the current settings dialog for this addon, but I was unable to find it.

For another addon, DualVoice, the settings dialog appears in the main NVDA menu, between the Tools and the Help menu. One more addon I'm using, FocusHighlight, puts the settings in Preferences > Settings.
For the SentenceNav settings dialog, I also checked the entries in Tools, and the Add-ons Manager, and several other places, but was not able to find the settings dialog for SentenceNav.

If you know where the settings dialog for SentenceNav is, I'd appreciate your help.

(The rest of this mail is more technical, if you are just a user and not a developer, you can stop here.)

I also started to check the code of SentenceNav. There is clearly code that builds up the dialog structure (class SettingsDialog in sentenceNav.py, line 118 in my version of the file). Similar code is in the file dialogs.py of the DualVoice plugin. The code in focusHighlight.py looks quite a bit different, and the part that creates the settings dialog is more difficult to find because all of the plugin is about displaying things on screen.

I will continue to study the code of SentenceNav and DualVoice to see if I find any relevant differences.

If you know about some document explaining how to create setting dialogs and so on, I'd appreciate your help.

Regards, Martin.

Hi,
Settings dialog documentation: I though the add-on dev guide did document this - come to think of it, I don't think it was documented. If it isn't even documented in the add-on dev guide, please remind me to document this (I might use Add-on Updater to document settings panel).

[...]

Cyrille

Hello Martin

The setting window of SentenceNav can be opened by clicking the following menu item:
NVDA menu -> Preferences -> SentenceNav...

Is it what you are looking for? If not, please elaborate a bit more.

Cheers,

Cyrille

[...]

Rowen Cary

Hello, the new version of Sentence-Nav-2.12 has moved the settings dialog to the NVDA settings panel. You can press NVDA+N, p, s and then press the arrow to find him.

Martin J. Dürst

Hello Joseph,

There are some places in your excellent Add-on Dev Guide where settings are mentioned, so a developer definitely has something to start. But there is no section dealing with settings in particular.

Regards, Martin.

Hi,
.
--
Prof. Dr.sc. Martin J. Dürst
Department of Intelligent Information Technology

Martin J. Dürst

Many thanks for pointing out where the SentenceNav settings are. Sorry for not answering earlier. When I read your mail, I went back to check, and the settings were there, so I thought I didn't check well enough before I wrote my email.

However, a bit later, the settings were gone again. It turned out that the reason for that was a syntax error that got in while I worked on some additions to SentenceNav. Sometimes, it's difficult to realize that there is a syntax error somewhere.

Regards, Martin.

[...]

I will talk about settings panel and other goodies (an extension of dialogs, really) perhaps as part of add-on dev guide for NVDA 2022.1.

Hi,