Topics

Weather_Plus add-on update

Abdel

Hi,

Adriano fixed his Weather_Plus add-on to avoid the bug reported recently and Zvonimir and Rémy made a correction to the documentation.

As Zvonimir gave me administrator access to his personal repo, I can create a Pull Request to the github.com/nvdaaddons/Weather_Plus repo.

Do I have to do this for these documentation changes to be sent to the translation system?

Could you tell me the new procedure to follow for submitting add-on updates?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Abdel.

Abdel

Hi,

As the documentation update was added in the Weather_Plus.mdwn file, it will be directly proposed for translation.

The question is what to do to receive updates from the SRT repo in Zvonimir's repo.

Thanks in advance for your explanations.

Kind regards,
Abdel.

Le 11/01/2020 à 09:03, Abdel a écrit :
Hi,

Adriano fixed his Weather_Plus add-on to avoid the bug reported recently and Zvonimir and Rémy made a correction to the documentation.

As Zvonimir gave me administrator access to his personal repo, I can create a Pull Request to the github.com/nvdaaddons/Weather_Plus repo.

Do I have to do this for these documentation changes to be sent to the translation system?

Could you tell me the new procedure to follow for submitting add-on updates?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Abdel.

Abdel

Sorry, I just read Reef's very clear explanation on this.

I will therefore propose a Pull Request.

Thanks Reef.

Kind regards,
Abdel.

Le 11/01/2020 à 10:35, Abdel a écrit :
[...]

Cyrille

Hello

Which explanation?
Does it belong to the "Proposed add-on workflow" thread? Or another one that I have missed?
I am reading a bit quickly the lot of e-mail that we have received recently about add-on workflow modifications. And I may have missed some information or mixed the current modifications (Mesar's githug migration) and the proposed new workflow (not yet applicable).

Thanks in advance and sorry for disturbing.
Cheers,

Cyrille

[...]

Hi Cyrille,

I was talking about addon-store-submission/README.md

You are right, it is not yet applicable and does not explain how the personal repos of authors/collaborators can receive updates from the SRT repo.

Mesar has apparently not yet explained how this procedure could be done.

Thanks.

Kind regards,
Abdel.

Le 11/01/2020 à 15:42, Cyrille via Groups.Io a écrit :
[...]

Noelia Ruiz

Hi, In the document sent by Reef, it is not explicitly explained if add-ons will use the repos forked in the organization created by Joseph. I suppose this will be used in addition to personal repos since it is explained that pull requests could be merged, and this cannot be done in personal repos unless we are collaborators of that personal repo. Also, apparently addonFiles repo would not be used like now. I think that if NVDA 2019.-3 is released before the new infrastructure is used, Mesar or Reef could clarify how to proceed in the meantime.
Personally, the 8 addons maintained by me could simply be declared stable though the dev subfix is used in their name, and can be installed when NVDA 2019.-3 is released. Moreover, hope we dont need to work with a separate readme in Assembla and this can be automated. Thanks

Enviado desde mi iPhone

[...]

At the moment I envision the change will come later in 2020, as people are planning things.

[...]

They have to instruct us about how to proceed. We dont know, just can suppose things.

Enviado desde mi iPhone

[...]

Following a request made by Adriano, the author of this add-on, I have just created a Pull Request on the github.com/nvdaaddons/weather_plus repo for version 7.4.

This version includes a bug fix and an update of the documentation made by Zvonimir and Rémy.

https://github.com/nvdaaddons/weather_plus/pull/1

Could someone merge it into the stable branch?

Will it then be able to receive translations from the SRT repos?

Le 11/01/2020 à 19:51, Noelia Ruiz a écrit :
[...]

Could someone answer me please?

The author would like to release version 7.4 today, but he is waiting for the L10N updates to be added.

Could I have administrator access on github.com/nvdaaddons/weather_plus as well as on the repos of which I am the author / collaborator.

These repos are:

  • clock;
  • DayOfTheWeek;
  • mp3DirectCut;
  • SayCurrentKeyboardLanguage.

Thanks in addvance.

Kind regards,
Abdel.

Le 16/01/2020 à 12:17, Abdel a écrit :

[...]

Given the ongoing discussions about add-on workflow, especially after Reef added additional materials, I’m really hesitant to proceed with the new workflow due to possible confusion. Therefore, I advise following the old model for now until we get a concrete word as to how to proceed with this i.e. let us know the new release URL so add-on files repo can be updated.

[...]

OK thanks Joseph,

We can generate the new URL but the problem is that the updated version will no contain L10N updates.

When will these L10N updates be added?

Cheers,
Abdel.

Le 17/01/2020 à 08:20, Joseph Lee a écrit :

[...]

I believe if nvdaaddons version of WeatherPlus repo’s stable branch is merged into yours, it can be made available. The problem though is the other direction: moving latest work to translators. I’m really hesitant to send latest code to nvdaaddons version of the repo unless it is needed (at least I have prepared for a possibility of a pull request by using a dedicated maintenance branch for future releases).

As much as we do need to move forward with pull requests and making the release workflow better, sometimes one will need to act on something soon. Therefore I advise at least sending whatever you have (from master branch, not stable branch) to nvdaaddons version’s master branch so a merge can take place from nvdaaddons version by someone else. This is exactly the model used until recently, and until we get a clearer picture as to how to proceed with add-on releases going forward, I advise following the old workflow.

The above complexity, coupled with giving add-on authors more autonomy, is the reason why I strongly urge letting translations commit bot send materials to personal repos directly rather than centralizing add-on repos under one organization for sake of translations. To reiterate Derek’s point of view (which I’m in agreement with), it is better to let authors decide the direction of individual add-ons with blessings from the community; the community should set basic rules and should serve as an “author of last resort” to ensure continuity. After thinking about add-on workflow proposal, I am in favor of giving authors more autonomy (I’ll reserve some thoughts for a separate discussion).

[...]

OK Joseph,

Thanks for all these points with which I also agree.

The new Weather_Plus PR on the master branch is available here:

https://github.com/nvdaaddons/weather_plus/pull/2

Kind regards,
Abdel.

Le 17/01/2020 à 09:48, Joseph Lee a écrit :

[...]

Rémy Ruiz

Hy everybody,

@Jose Manuel:

FYI:

Next week I will update the new documentation in Spanish for Weather_Plus with the latest changes. Thank you.

Cheers.

Rémy

[...]

Hi Adriano and all,

Noelia has reviewed your Weather_Plus add-on, you can view her comment on the PR page here:

https://github.com/nvdaaddons/weather_plus/pull/2

If you agree with the proposed corrections in the __init__.py module, we can add it.

Noelia suggests that you add a space in an import sentence on line 14 as follows.

import os, sys, winsound, config, globalVars, ssl, json

She also suggests that you add comments for the translators, they are usually used before each text to be translated.

As for documentation, she noticed that certain words following a dot, do not begin with a capital letter.

There are also quite a few words with "check box" in 2 words, while "checkbox" can only be written in one word.

If you allow me, I could make these corrections for you in the Weather_Plus repo, as well as in the Weather_Plus.mdwn file.

Thanks.

Kind regards,
Abdel.

Le 17/01/2020 à 20:53, Rémy Ruiz a écrit :

[...]

Hi Abdel and everybody,

I think Adriano will agree with the proposed corrections  by Noelia in the documentation. Thanks in advance. If you see something wrong you can modify structured at the least is beneficial for everyone.

Note: It used a semicolon and began with an uppercase letter, to separate some descriptions.

Thank you for correcting these anomalies in the documentation if you want.

It should be taken as a template Mp3DirectCut documentation because it contains many descriptions and is well prepared.

Cheers.

Rémy

Le 24/01/2020 à 22:11, Abdel a écrit :

[...]

Hi, also I found doble spaces, languages that maybe or not
capitalized, and imo it shouldn't be needed to comment things like
"fix two bugs" or "added x translation" (just examples, not quoting
textually, just remembering.
This readme seems extremely difficult to review on GitHub since this
is long and has many thongs to be fixed. Maybe better to make
replacements locally.

<https://github.com/nvaccess/addon-store-submission/blob/master/README.md#add-on-store-proposal>