Toolbars explorer and latest alpha

Brian's Mail list account

Farcically it just gives an error bleep when you try to open it.

as indeed does my email program, but that is probably another issue. It looks to me like the system thinks its running Python 3.8, but according to the recent discussion this has now been returned to 3.7, so one assumes toolbars explorer should be still working. Here is the log of everything from alt tabbing to the mail folder to the end of the toolbars explorer error when I boot in the stable version again. Obviously I was running the alpha as a portable version.

Input: kb(desktop):alt+tab
IO - speech.speak (10:23:07.901) - MainThread (5604):
Speaking [LangChangeCommand ('en_GB'), '3 nvda add-ons list - Outlook Express - Brians lists account BGlists', 'icon', '1 of 2', CancellableSpeech (still valid)]
ERROR - RPC process 956 (msimn.exe) (10:23:08.436) - Dummy-2 (5416):
Thread 5624, build\x86\remote\COMProxyRegistration.cpp, unregisterCOMProxy, 209:
Error unregistering class object from ISimpleDOM.dll, code -2147220997

ERROR - RPC process 956 (msimn.exe) (10:23:08.442) - Dummy-2 (5416):
Thread 5624, build\x86\remote\COMProxyRegistration.cpp, unregisterCOMProxy, 209:
Error unregistering class object from IAccessible2Proxy.dll, code -2147220997

IO - speech.speak (10:23:08.468) - MainThread (5604):
Speaking [LangChangeCommand ('en_GB'), '3 nvda add-ons list - Outlook Express - Brians lists account BGlists', CancellableSpeech (still valid)]
IO - speech.speak (10:23:08.497) - MainThread (5604):
Speaking [LangChangeCommand ('en_GB'), 'Outlook Express Message List', 'list', CancellableSpeech (still valid)]
IO - speech.speak (10:23:08.504) - MainThread (5604):
Speaking [LangChangeCommand ('en_GB'), 'unread From: Andre Fisher; Subject: Re: [nvda-addons] reading all text in a Word.; Received: 23/04/2021 16:43', '12963 of 12963', CancellableSpeech (still valid)]
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (10:23:27.657) - winInputHook (5884):
Input: kb(desktop):alt+applications
DEBUGWARNING - Python warning (10:23:27.670) - MainThread (5604):
C:\nvda extra\userConfig\addons\toolbarsExplorer\globalPlugins\toolbarsExplorer\__init__.py:38: DeprecationWarning: time.clock has been deprecated in Python 3.3 and will be removed from Python 3.8: use time.perf_counter or time.process_time instead
start = time.clock()
DEBUGWARNING - Python warning (10:23:27.689) - MainThread (5604):
C:\nvda extra\userConfig\addons\toolbarsExplorer\globalPlugins\toolbarsExplorer\__init__.py:42: DeprecationWarning: time.clock has been deprecated in Python 3.3 and will be removed from Python 3.8: use time.perf_counter or time.process_time instead
end = time.clock()
ERROR - scriptHandler.executeScript (10:23:27.710) - MainThread (5604):
error executing script: <bound method GlobalPlugin.script_startExploration of <globalPlugins.toolbarsExplorer.GlobalPlugin object at 0x04AC04D0>> with gesture 'alt+applications'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "scriptHandler.pyc", line 208, in executeScript
File "C:\nvda extra\userConfig\addons\toolbarsExplorer\globalPlugins\toolbarsExplorer\__init__.py", line 314, in script_startExploration
speech.speakObject(bar, reason=ct.REASON_FOCUS)
AttributeError: module 'controlTypes' has no attribute 'REASON_FOCUS'
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (10:23:31.833) - winInputHook (5884):
Input: kb(desktop):control+alt+r
IO - speech.speak (10:23:31.942) - MainThread (5604):
Speaking [LangChangeCommand ('en_GB'), 'reboot nvda with log', 'terminal', CancellableSpeech (still valid), '80 space', 'blank']
INFO - core.main (10:23:32.057) - MainThread (5604):
Exiting

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk

Alberto Buffolino

Brian's Mail list account via groups.io, il 24/04/2021 11.33, ha scritto:
Farcically it just gives an error bleep when you try to open it.
Alberto:
Hi Brian,
I updated the add-on a month ago, please try with new version:
https://github.com/ABuffEr/toolbarsExplorer
Alberto

Noelia Ruiz

Hi Alberto, in case this should be updated on the website, please
create a pull request in addonFiles or I can help you if you prefer.
I may review it and request to be merged by NV Access.

Brian's Mail list account via groups.io, il 24/04/2021 11.33, ha scritto:
Farcically it just gives an error bleep when you try to open it.
Alberto:
Hi Brian,
I updated the add-on a month ago, please try with new version:
https://github.com/ABuffEr/toolbarsExplorer
Alberto

Noelia Ruiz

Hi again, to be clear:

- addonFiles repo is at

https://github.com/nvaccess/addonfiles

Now I've added as a collaborator with the triage role, that is, I can
review manifest and URL of updated add-ons, request changes or approve
pull requests sent to addonFiles before new versions are available on
the website and, once the pull request is approved, I have to request
a review from NV Access so they can merge it and the add-on is
available.

<nrm1977=gmail.com@groups.io>:

Hi Alberto, in case this should be updated on the website, please
create a pull request in addonFiles or I can help you if you prefer.
I may review it and request to be merged by NV Access.

Brian's Mail list account via groups.io, il 24/04/2021 11.33, ha scritto:
Farcically it just gives an error bleep when you try to open it.
Alberto:
Hi Brian,
I updated the add-on a month ago, please try with new version:
https://github.com/ABuffEr/toolbarsExplorer
Alberto

Brian's Mail list account

I have the version 1.4 here. On a quick scan of your linked page I see no download, only info about the github project etc. I find Github about as logical as random number generator personally, got a direct link? Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk

Brian's Mail list account via groups.io, il 25/04/2021 10.37, ha scritto:
I have the version 1.4 here. On a quick scan of your linked page I see no download, only info about the github project etc.
Alberto:
Hi,
- press 1 twice to jumpt to readme/info section;
- press i twice to jumpt to "• Download Development version";
- press enter on the link "Development version".
Alberto

Alberto Buffolino

Noelia Ruiz, il 24/04/2021 13.04, ha scritto:
Now I've added as a collaborator with the triage role, that is,
Alberto:
Hi Noelia,
I'm trying to understand the situation, various steps and automatic/automatable actions. So, correct if I'm wrong.
At the moment, I should:
1) release a new version of my add-on on Github, manually or via Github actions (tags-driven?);
2) (the first time) fork nvaccess/addonFiles repo;
3) modify get.php, adding or modifying the add-on key(s) and pointing it to releases/tag/{version}/*.nvda-addon package;
4) submit a PR to nvaccess/addonFiles, specifying:
- all manifest fields;
- my add-on repo URL;
- current releases/tag/{version} URL;
- latest changes from commits (included automatically?);
- SHA256 and name of updated package.
5) waiting for a review.
I imagine that a lot of these actions can be automated by Github actions, but I have difficulties to gain familiarity with those, even reading various .github/workflows/.yaml examples found in your repositories. Locally gh tool may be useful too, probably...
Anyway, thanks always for your support 😊
Alberto

Noelia Ruiz

Hi Alberto, you don't need to use GitHub Actions. I use it since I
like this a lot and for me is easier to maintain various add-ons, in
comparison whith the time when I uploaded and build releases manually.
There is not any template for making pull request in addonFiles repo.
I'm including these fields since I think it maibe easier for
reviewers.
Reef suggested, some time ago, a pull request sent by Joseph with
several fields too. But then my pull request were small with a link to
the release page and some other things, less detailed than Joseph pull
requests. But knowing what's reviewed, I follow the following steps:

1. Release an add-on, in my case, with GitHub Actions. But you can
follow a different procedure.
2. Download my own add-on to ensure it's installed properly and that
all is right.
3. Go to the add-on folder and copy the manifest file to the clipboard.
4. Create a branch of addonFiles with the following command, from cmd:

git checkout -b addonName-version, for example, git checkout -b
placeMarkers-15.3

5. Edit get.php updating links, personally, for now, stable add-on is
same that dev, so links are the same and I create just a pull request.
6. Close notepad++, my text editor, and run the following command of GitHub CLI:

gh pr create -w

Then GitHub CLI asks where the branch should be pusshed, for example,
in nvdaes (my GitHub account), or nvaccess. Of course I type nvdaes
and then enter.

7. I wait some seconds and Firefox, my default browser, is open and
focus may be in the pull request title, usually right.
8. Press NVDA+space to go to browse mode or tab. the purpose is to
locate the pull request body.

9. I copy the manifest and proofread it with dashes before each item
to build a list. I also delete email addresses of authors to reduce
spam.
10. I go to the release page of my addon and copy the cnangelog and
sha256, since it's easy for me, due to the fact that GitHub Actions
reflect this info in my add-on releases.

Feel free to request more help ☺

And fix me if I made any mistake while typing or reproducing steps.

[...]

Ah, of course, after closing notepad++ I do: git add .
git commit -m "Update placeMarkers to 15.3", for example.

About changelog, I update it to customize the exact changes included
in releases when I push tags. I use a changelog.md file and update it
before creating a tag.
I use an action which allows to use a file for the release description.

And another action to create automatic prereleases once a week, so the
latest translations are included there.

<nrm1977=gmail.com@groups.io>:

[...]

There are no headers at level 1

Brian
bglists@blueyonder.co.uk

Brian's Mail list account via groups.io, il 25/04/2021 10.37, ha scritto:
I have the version 1.4 here. On a quick scan of your linked page I see no download, only info about the github project etc.
Alberto:
Hi,
- press 1 twice to jumpt to readme/info section;
- press i twice to jumpt to "• Download Development version";
- press enter on the link "Development version".
Alberto

Brian's Mail list account

Right, it was due to my Firefox, so I used the old version of Waterfox then the headings worked. Cannot work out what is going on there.
Could be I need to reinstall Firefox then.
For the record the last version of Waterfox that seems to work with nvda is.7, anything later in the classic branch crashes without warning and locks nvda as well sometimes. Firefox is a new oddity.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk

Brian's Mail list account via groups.io, il 25/04/2021 10.37, ha scritto:
I have the version 1.4 here. On a quick scan of your linked page I see no download, only info about the github project etc.
Alberto:
Hi,
- press 1 twice to jumpt to readme/info section;
- press i twice to jumpt to "• Download Development version";
- press enter on the link "Development version".
Alberto

To be honest a lot of stuff doesn't work right with newer versions of things.

The last known good version of waterfox is waterfox classic 2020.08.

There is a later version of both g3 and classic but all of them have issues with crashing and the like which sucks.

08 is accessible and works fine and I still use it with a few things on edge chromium but really thats about it.

It sounds like waterfox is  no longer staying true to where it was going though.

Firefox may in the end be my next push forward.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alberto Buffolino" <a.buffolino@gmail.com>
Brian's Mail list account via groups.io, il 25/04/2021 10.37, ha scritto:
I have the version 1.4 here. On a quick scan of your linked page I see no download, only info about the github project etc.
Alberto:
Hi,
- press 1 twice to jumpt to readme/info section;
- press i twice to jumpt to "• Download Development version";
- press enter on the link "Development version".
Alberto

Brian's Mail list account

Yes maybe but how do you export all your waterfox links and passwords to firefox?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk

Brian's Mail list account via groups.io, il 25/04/2021 10.37, ha scritto:
I have the version 1.4 here. On a quick scan of your linked page I see no download, only info about the github project etc.
Alberto:
Hi,
- press 1 twice to jumpt to readme/info section;
- press i twice to jumpt to "• Download Development version";
- press enter on the link "Development version".
Alberto

Brian's Mail list account

Yes Waterfox was purchased, was it not, and now the co ordination of the contributors seems to be less solid resulting in regressions and bugs creeping in.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk