Topics

TeamSpeak add-on update, and NVDA 2019.3 anomaly

Doug Lee

I tried to update the TeamSpeak NVDA add-on I maintain to support NVDA 2019.3; but as indicated in the following Twitter announcement, I ran into a problem which I will better detail below.

The announcement:

Status of NVDA #nvda3 Python 3 add-on for TeamSpeak:
NVDA 2019.3 beta, even with add-ons disabled, does not work at all on my machine while TeamSpeak 3.3.2.0 is in focus. Even NVDA+n does not work there.
Work on this add-on is suspended pending resolution of this oddity.

Details:

Once TeamSpeak takes focus:
* NVDA+t says nothing.
* Tab and Shift+Tab say nothing.
* NVDA+n says nothing.
* Alt+Tab works to get focus out of TeamSpeak, after which things in NVDA return to normal.
* This applies even if I start NVDA 2019.3 with add-ons disabled.
* This does not occur at all in NVDA 2019.2.
* No log entries appear during all of the above odd behavior.

I suspect keyboard handler issues in NVDA 2019.3 itself, but that's a guess. I'm writing here to find out if anyone else has encountered something like this under the beta NVDA version.

I should mention that TeamSpeak 3.3.2.0 is written against Qt 5.12.3, which uses UIA rather than MSAA as was done in older Qt versions.

--
Doug Lee dgl@... http://www.dlee.org
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds

Hi,
Is it somehow set to go to sleep mode in there? I doubt that's the case
unless something in 2019.3 did change something.

Level Access doug.lee@...
http://www.LevelAccess.com
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new
discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' ('I found it!') but rather 'hmm....
that's funny...'" -- Isaac Asimov

Brian's Mail list account

Could there be an existing app module that simply does not work in the new version of the program since its been written with a different package using different accessibility methods?

I'm remembering the mess the new revo uninstaller has become.
Brian

bglists@...
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

Quentin Christensen

Doug, how did you go with updating your TeamSpeak add-on?  We had someone enquire about TeamSpeak support.  I found your add-on at  https://www.dlee.org/teamspeak/NVDA/ although I think that's still the Python 2.x version (NVDA 2019.2.1 and earlier?)

Regards

Quentin.

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 12:07 AM Doug Lee <nvda@...> wrote:
[...]

Training and Support Manager

Doug Lee

Just threading this closure properly even though I already mentioned this elsewhere on this list:

The problem I discussed in this thread that otherwise ended in January, where NVDA 2019.3.x refused to speak or process keystrokes even though older Python 2.7 NVDA versions had no such issue, turned out to apply only to my
portable NVDA installation. A standard upgrade of my Desktop installation from 2019.2 to 2019.3 resulted in an NVDA that worked fine with TeamSpeak. No idea why my portable version won't work with TS, but I'm making sure that
this bizarre fact is reported with proper context here in case it indicates a larger issue with portable installs.

On Sun, Jan 12, 2020 at 07:27:28PM -0000, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Time is the friend of one who is true, and the enemy of one who isn't.
(02/05/2010)