task manager addon

Dark Count

Hello.

Has anybody come across an addon for task manager?

Thanks,

D C

René Linke

Hi,

On 08/09/2021 at 18:08, Dark Count wrote:
Has anybody come across an addon for task manager?
Why do you would need an add-on for that? It is fully accessible with NVDA 2021.1, at least in Windows 10 and Windows 11.

René

Doug Lee

"Fully accessible" is a bit subjective here perhaps. :-)

You can indeed navigate the Processes grid's first column just fine with Up and Down arrows; but checking
other columns seems to require object navigation, which makes skimming down, say, the CPU column very
inconvenient. This problem applies to other tabs as well, though I did not test all of them. These
difficulties are not unique to NVDA and are the result of the Task Manager's unusual UIA structure for some of
these grids.

On Wed, Sep 08, 2021 at 07:40:32PM +0200, René Linke wrote:
Hi,

On 08/09/2021 at 18:08, Dark Count wrote:
Has anybody come across an addon for task manager?
Why do you would need an add-on for that? It is fully accessible with NVDA
2021.1, at least in Windows 10 and Windows 11.

René

"It's not easy to be crafty and winsome at the same time, and few accomplish
it after the age of six." --John W. Gardner and Francesca Gardner Reese

James Scholes

You can use standard table navigation commands (Ctrl+Alt+Arrows) on the "Details" tab, which also lets you choose which columns are included. It also seems to be a bit snappier than the terrible grid on the "Processes" one, which on my machine takes multiple seconds to load. Horrible.

I do agree, though, that the Task Manager is far from being "fully accessible". For example, the "Performance" tab is somewhat useless unless you use object nav or screen review, and tabbing through the focusable controls seems to cause NVDA to stutter in some cases. It really is a terrible app compared with what it used to be.

On 08/09/2021 at 12:53 pm, Doug Lee wrote:
"Fully accessible" is a bit subjective here perhaps. :-)

You can indeed navigate the Processes grid's first column just fine with Up and Down arrows; but checking
other columns seems to require object navigation, which makes skimming down, say, the CPU column very
inconvenient. This problem applies to other tabs as well, though I did not test all of them. These
difficulties are not unique to NVDA and are the result of the Task Manager's unusual UIA structure for some of
these grids.

On Wed, Sep 08, 2021 at 07:40:32PM +0200, René Linke wrote:
Hi,

On 08/09/2021 at 18:08, Dark Count wrote:
Has anybody come across an addon for task manager?
Why do you would need an add-on for that? It is fully accessible with NVDA
2021.1, at least in Windows 10 and Windows 11.

René

Lubos Pintes

I can remember that NVDA has quite big problem with task manager when all processed were displayed. It slagged badly. Is this already resolved?

I cannot test, I am using an old task manager from windows 7 for this reason.

Dňa 8. 9. 2021 o 19:40 René Linke napísal(a):

Hi,

On 08/09/2021 at 18:08, Dark Count wrote:
Has anybody come across an addon for task manager?
Why do you would need an add-on for that? It is fully accessible with NVDA 2021.1, at least in Windows 10 and Windows 11.

René

Quentin Christensen

Just a reminder please, that issues like these really need to be raised with Microsoft, as well as against NVDA.  I'm sure most of you have, and it's absolutely fine to ask for improvements in NVDA, but where NVDA does not work as well as it should with ANY piece of software, 95% of the time, the best place to fix the issue, is with the software rather than NVDA.

With performance in task manager, even sighted people will tell you it's less than ideal.  The fact that it runs in the same memory space as the programs you invariably open it to try to fix is a huge barrier to its effectiveness.  I have seen numerous cases of "Task manger - not responding", which is basically it becoming the very thing it is there to fix...

If anyone is aware of any current issues with task manager which aren't already recorded, please do write them up at: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

René Linke

Hi,

In the Task manage you mostly need the list of processes, the grid you don't need to use it unless you want to find out which process is about to kill the CPU but in that case you won't have never ever a chance because the CPU is totally out of order to process any other things from, such as keyboard inputs, though.

René

Am 08.09.2021 um 20:15 schrieb James Scholes:

[...]

Brian's Mail list account

Yes why do they have to change things that worked before. Grrr.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk

On Wed, Sep 8, 2021 at 06:54 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
I have seen numerous cases of "Task manger - not responding", which is basically it becoming the very thing it is there to fix...
-
Amen to that!!  I know many technicians (all sighted, in this case) who long ago started using Process Monitor rather than Task Manager for this, and other, reasons.

It is, at the very least, partially accessible from my brief playing with it with NVDA.  And since it's menu driven, even if you can't get to the buttons (which may not be buttons or may require object navigation) all of the same controls are available through the menu.   It's free and comes from Microsoft's own support pages, so it might be worth playing with if you have frequent need to use Task Manager.

Is it progress if a cannibal uses knife and fork?

             ~ Stanislaw J. Lec

Robert Hänggi

I'm not sure. We had a look at processMonitor some two years ago and
the accessibility of the tables and lists was very bad.
Someone wanted to write an add-on for it but the elements were not
exposed in a sensible way (e.g. window messages).
It might be the time for a new attempt though.
Robert

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon ) rather
than Task Manager for this, and other, reasons.

It is, at the very least, partially accessible from my brief playing with it
with NVDA.  And since it's menu driven, even if you can't get to the buttons
(which may not be buttons or may require object navigation) all of the same
controls are available through the menu.   It's free and comes from
Microsoft's own support pages, so it might be worth playing with if you have
frequent need to use Task Manager.

*Is it progress if a cannibal uses knife and fork?*

~ Stanislaw J. Lec

Doug Lee

The elements are exposed well enough but not in an ordinary structure. Rather than having a simple grid with rows and
cells, we have one grid in which the rows are treeItems. The treeItems always contain the grid cells (two
levels farther down) but also may contain more subrows when the user expands a task to include subtasks. There
are a few technical anomalies as well, such as the TreeItems supporting the Grid pattern even though the grid
items belong, as they should, to the main grid.

On Fri, Sep 10, 2021 at 06:03:52PM +0200, Robert Hänggi wrote:
[...]

%
"While they were saying among themselves it cannot be done, it was
done." --Helen Keller
%
"No person is your friend who demands your silence or denies your
right to grow." --Alice Walker
%
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's
character, give him power." -Abraham Lincoln
%
"A mailing list is a crude but effective cross between a
chain letter and a shouting match." -Andrew Kantor
%
A mailing list is like a car where brakes and accelerator are the same pedal:
The effect of putting your foot down is a bit hard to predict! (04/04/2012)
%
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds
new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' ('I found it!') but rather 'hmm....
that's funny...'" -- Isaac Asimov
%
"It is not the mountain in the distance which makes you want to stop
walking; but the grain of sand in your shoe." --Anon
%
"Innovation is hard to schedule." -- Dan Fylstra
%
"There are no guarantees. From a standpoint of fear, none are
strong enough. From a standpoint of love, none are necessary."
- from Emmanuel's Book II
%
"Our chief want in life is somebody who will make us do what
we can. {Ralph Waldo Emerson}
%
"Sometimes I think my learning curve is a circle." -- David Andrews
%
"I before E, except after C, or when sounded like A, as in neighbor
and weigh, except for when weird foreign concierges seize neither
leisure nor science from the height of society."
%
"Determine that the thing can and shall be done, and then...find
the way." - Abraham Lincoln
%
"The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them
to choose from." -- Andrew Tanenbaum
%
"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both
incisive and probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by
dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper." --Rod Serling
%
"All these years, the people said, 'He's acting like a kid.'
He did not know he could not fly, so he did."
--Guy Clark, "The Cape" (Dublin Blues)
%
"If you refuse to be made straight when you are green,
you will not be made straight when you are dry." {African}
%
There is more freedom in knowing how to handle pain than in knowing
how to avoid it. (4/29/01)
%
The very smart may feel they have nothing to learn from anyone;
The very wise will find something to learn from everyone. (7/14/01)
%
In laughter, love is found; but in tears, it is forged. (12/09/01)
%
Snowmen fall from heaven, unassembled.
--anon
%
Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid that itwill never begin.
-- Grace Hansen
%
No one alive is beyond hope; every second of life is a chance.
(08/29/02)
%
"The most exhausting thing in life is being insincere."
- Anne Morrow Lindbergh {American Author}
%
"Believe, when you are most unhappy, that there is something for you
to do in the world. So long as you can sweeten another's pain, life is
not in vain." --Helen Keller
%
"You must let me try, for a true soldier does not admit defeat before
the battle."
--Helen Keller (in a letter to the president of Radcliffe College)
%
"Pray devoutly, but hammer stoutly."
--Sir William G. Benham
%
"Is your cucumber bitter? Throw it away. Are there briars in your
path? Turn aside. That is enough. Do not go on to say, `Why were
things of this sort ever brought into the world?'"
--Marcus Aurelius
%
"The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit
of it. You have to catch up with it yourself." --Benjamin Franklin
%
"Characters live to be noticed. People with character notice how
they live." -- Nancy Moser
%
"Never does the human soul appear so strong as when it foregoes
revenge, and dares forgive an injury." --E. H. Chapin
%
"There's no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he
doesn't mind who gets the credit." Ronald Reagan?
%
"The best executive is the one who has sense enough to pick good men to do
what he wants done, and self-restraint enough to keep from meddling with
them while they do it."--Theodore Roosevelt
%
Freedom is not the ability to have what we want. Freedom is merely the
ability to seek it. To be free defines what we can do, not what we can get.
(03/28/05)
%
"I am a leader by default, only because nature does not allow a vacuum."
Bishop Desmond Tutu
%
"When there is no enemy within, the enemies outside cannot hurt you."
--African Proverb
%
"I forgot, because I wanted to forget, except I don't remember
forgetting." --Sarah Alawami
%
"I honestly believe it is better to know nothing than to know what ain't so."
- Josh Billings, 1818-1885 (in "Solemn Thoughts")
%
"When your best-laid plans have turned to dust, vacuum!"
- Whoopi Goldberg
%
What is most worth paying for, you buy with the life you live.
(11/10/07)
%
Reality is not what we see. Reality is what is, whether we see it or not.
(03/01/09)
%
In healthy competition, the best battles are not for status, but for excellence;
and the battles are not between me and you,
but between you and you, and between me and me. (08/15/2009)
%
Time is the friend of one who is true, and the enemy of one who isn't.
(02/05/2010)
%
"Maturity is knowing that the world owes you nothing. Freedom is knowing you owe it the same. Character is how
you respond to the knowing." --Jack Kincaid
%