Topics

Suggestion, maybe a feature to Speech History

Cleverson Casarin Uliana

Hello dear, I need NVDA to copy its last speech to clipboard as soon as it is spoken, or to pipe it to a file, or both things. The intent is for the respective speech text to be captured in real time by another application. Is it possible to for example add such a feature to Speech History as a toggle?

Thanks,
Cleverson

James Scholes

Sorry, I won't be adding this, or accepting any pull requests that do.

1. If the aim is for another application to consume the speech in realtime, that's not really historical so doesn't fit with the intended usage of the add-on.

2. If the aim is to store a log for future use, that has security implications that I'm not entirely happy with and don't want to introduce into the add-on.

3. I believe that writing each and every string to the clipboard and/or a file would have a potential performance hit, particularly on slower hardware or mechanical hard drives.

If you want another application to consume NVDA's speech output in realtime, the speech viewer is a standard Win32 control. You can read the value from it and monitor it for changes, and enable the speech viewer to show on startup. It would be slightly more work, but would have much better performance and would make it completely obvious that speech was being captured. Or you can fork the add-on and do this yourself, but I want to state upfront that any add-on which externally captures NVDA's speech probably shouldn't pass review here if posted.