Starting my work on controlUsageAssistant

Noelia Ruiz

Hi Joseph and all:
Since this add-on was created by Joseph, not me, I may require extra
help and need to be even more carefully to understand code and improve
functionality:

I created a first PR (after doing basic tasks to start maintenance
adding GitHub workflows, that is, yaml files to perform automated
tests, releases, lint, etc). The intention of this PR is to improve
support for objects in browse mode. Please feel free to review and
provide feedback if needed:

https://github.com/nvdaes/controlUsageAssistant/pull/1

Thanks

Hi,
The pull request code is working, and I guess we can replace virtual buffers import with browse mode module.
This reminds me: looks like it'll be a writing day for me - I'll write add-on internals document for Control Usage Assistant today, hopefully to be published by midnight Pacific time.

Since this add-on was created by Joseph, not me, I may require extra help and need to be even more carefully to understand code and improve
functionality:

I created a first PR (after doing basic tasks to start maintenance adding GitHub workflows, that is, yaml files to perform automated tests, releases, lint, etc). The intention of this PR is to improve support for objects in browse mode. Please feel free to review and provide feedback if needed:

https://github.com/nvdaes/controlUsageAssistant/pull/1

Thanks

Noelia Ruiz

I"ll read the internals. I"ve replaced virtualBuffers with browsemode. Cheers

Enviado desde mi iPhone

El 4 ene 2022, a las 18:55, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com> escribió:

[...]

Make sure to test with focus mode as well.

Since this add-on was created by Joseph, not me, I may require extra
help and need to be even more carefully to understand code and improve
functionality:

I created a first PR (after doing basic tasks to start maintenance adding GitHub workflows, that is, yaml files to perform automated tests, releases, lint, etc). The intention of this PR is to improve support for objects in browse mode. Please feel free to review and provide feedback if needed:

https://github.com/nvdaes/controlUsageAssistant/pull/1

Thanks

Noelia Ruiz

I"ll test all again. Also, I"m thinking about providing some settings for trainers. For example, to make some messages not browseable, since I see that pressing escape to close the window in menus also closes the menu. Also, I"m wonder if focusEntered can be used to provide messages automatically, if desired, just for some controls like lists or treeview, menus etc, not items contained in them. Not sure, I"m just thinking, and in readonly edit boxes, we may use a different message, not type here. This add-on is really good.
Enviado desde mi iPhone

El 4 ene 2022, a las 19:23, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com> escribió:

Hi,
Make sure to test with focus mode as well.

Since this add-on was created by Joseph, not me, I may require extra
help and need to be even more carefully to understand code and improve
functionality:

I created a first PR (after doing basic tasks to start maintenance adding GitHub workflows, that is, yaml files to perform automated tests, releases, lint, etc). The intention of this PR is to improve support for objects in browse mode. Please feel free to review and provide feedback if needed:

https://github.com/nvdaes/controlUsageAssistant/pull/1

Thanks

Hi,
This is more towards a long-term thing: I advise applying the same standard as NVDA itself as the add-on is really meant to serve as a proof of concept of the following NVDA issue:

The add-on may require some tweaks, but as far as basic mechanism is concerned, the add-on provides a useful solution. In order to fully bring issue 2699 to life, NVDA objects and app modules must introduce a way to let NVDA retrieve help messages. I will mention this when I write Control Usage Assistant add-on internals article.

Since this add-on was created by Joseph, not me, I may require extra
help and need to be even more carefully to understand code and
improve
functionality:

I created a first PR (after doing basic tasks to start maintenance adding GitHub workflows, that is, yaml files to perform automated tests, releases, lint, etc). The intention of this PR is to improve support for objects in browse mode. Please feel free to review and provide feedback if needed:

https://github.com/nvdaes/controlUsageAssistant/pull/1

Thanks

Noelia Ruiz

Hi, I've seen the mentioned issue, and there bhavyashah references
this other one about tutor mode:

I don't use JAWS lot of years ago. But I remember tutor mode,
automatic messages, in addition to JAWS+f1 or JAWS+w keys, and I think
that for Control Usage Assistant we may join these two approaches,
making them configurable, since sometimes using NVDA+h and then Escape
closes elements like menus.
I'll try to make a development version just for testing and compare,
in case I find a way to do it.

[...]

Rowen Cary

Hello,

The voiceOver in Mac OS will have some very friendly screen reader operation prompts. These prompts are like tool tips. For the object browsing of NVDA, can this feature be introduced to tell users what to do in a certain situation. For example, "Use NVDA+Num2" to Navigate to an object.

Grateful

Noelia Ruiz

Hello:

I don't know where to introduce this, since object navgation is a
global feature, that is, available regardless of the focused object. I
think this is better acheved consulting the user guide, where other
global features like configuration profiles, NVDA text review commands
etc are presented.
At least for now this add-on provides info based on the focused
object, mostly intended to give feedback about the main keyboard tasks
based on roles or other object properties/methods.
My last change in PR 2 is to suppress automatic notifications in
browse mode, and when a menu item is focused after a popup menu, since
it produced messages not very accurate. In browse mode, the automatic
tip was provided after activating links, and in the case of popup
menus, automatic messages were redundant.
Thanks for your feedback!

Hello,

The voiceOver in Mac OS will have some very friendly screen reader operation
prompts. These prompts are like tool tips. For the object browsing of NVDA,
can this feature be introduced to tell users what to do in a certain
situation. For example, "Use NVDA+Num2" to Navigate to an object.

Grateful

Hi,

I think that’s more towards Tip of the Day add-on (not maintained these days).