Topics

Speech History 2020.2

James Scholes

Speech History 2020.2 is released, which is compatible with NVDA 2019.3.1 and later including the 2020.1 beta. In addition, the settings panel for the add-on now allows you to set the following options:

* the maximum number of stored history entries; and
* whether to trim whitespace from the start and/or end of copied text.

This will be pushed through Add-On Updater, or you can find it at:
https://github.com/jscholes/nvda-speech-history/releases/download/2020.2/speechHistory-2020.2.nvda-addon

Nikola Jovic

Awesome, thanks so much for fixing the addon.

On 4/16/20, James Scholes <james@...> wrote:
Speech History 2020.2 is released, which is compatible with NVDA
2019.3.1 and later including the 2020.1 beta. In addition, the settings
panel for the add-on now allows you to set the following options:

* the maximum number of stored history entries; and
* whether to trim whitespace from the start and/or end of copied text.

This will be pushed through Add-On Updater, or you can find it at:
https://github.com/jscholes/nvda-speech-history/releases/download/2020.2/speechHistory-2020.2.nvda-addon

Cyrille

Hi James

Thanks for this update and for having integrated the space trimming option. Very appreciated!

No more issue with character reading in 2020.1beta1.

Some additional notes, maybe for a future version?

1. Do you plan to be able to change the history number of entries at setting panel validation rather than when restarting NVDA. This would allow to set it to 1 temporarily to empty the history buffer. Another option would be a button in the setting panel to perform this task.

2. Do you plan to integrate documentation accessible from Add-on manager's help button?

3. Do you plan to make this add-on translatable? This would allow to have setting panel in NVDA's user language and to have translated documentation coming from the website? Of course, we will have to wait for translation framework to be able again to include new add-ons.

4. A little bug with no impact in real life: Setting Maximum number of history entries to 3000000000 (or probably more than 2^31) results in a value set to 1, rather than 5000.

For points 2. and 3., add-on template may help.

Cheers.

Cyrille

Le 16/04/2020 à 02:08, James Scholes a écrit :
Speech History 2020.2 is released, which is compatible with NVDA 2019.3.1 and later including the 2020.1 beta.  In addition, the settings panel for the add-on now allows you to set the following options:

* the maximum number of stored history entries; and
* whether to trim whitespace from the start and/or end of copied text.

This will be pushed through Add-On Updater, or you can find it at:
https://github.com/jscholes/nvda-speech-history/releases/download/2020.2/speechHistory-2020.2.nvda-addon

1. Do you plan to be able to change the history number of entries at
setting panel validation rather than when restarting NVDA.

Sure. It isn't in this version because it would require trimming the current history down to the new size, and I didn't have the time yesterday evening to look at that.

2. Do you plan to integrate documentation accessible from Add-on
manager's help button?

Maybe. I'm not sure how much help this add-on really needs, but it's an option.

3. Do you plan to make this add-on translatable?
Unless I'm missing any, all strings inside the add-on are already marked as translatable with the appropriate comments above them.

4. A little bug with no impact in real life: Setting Maximum number
of history entries to 3000000000 (or probably more than 2^31) results in a value set to 1, rather than 5000.

Huh. Not sure if that's a wx bug, or just something with Python in general. Will test.

On 16/04/2020 at 4:44 pm, Cyrille via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Would it be possible to implement, perhaps via a shortcut a way to
toggle the history buffer automatically going to the last item.
Sometimes, in case of very dynamic and quickly updating speech, it
isn't really possible to navigate the buffer because as soon as
something is spoken, you go back to the bottom. A temporary shortcut
to turn this auto scroll off and back on could be quite handy. Great
work though, definitely one of the most useful addons on my system.

On 4/17/20, James Scholes <james@...> wrote:
> 1. Do you plan to be able to change the history number of entries at
setting panel validation rather than when restarting NVDA.

Sure. It isn't in this version because it would require trimming the
current history down to the new size, and I didn't have the time
yesterday evening to look at that.

> 2. Do you plan to integrate documentation accessible from Add-on
manager's help button?

Maybe. I'm not sure how much help this add-on really needs, but it's an
option.

> 3. Do you plan to make this add-on translatable?

Unless I'm missing any, all strings inside the add-on are already marked
as translatable with the appropriate comments above them.

> 4. A little bug with no impact in real life: Setting Maximum number
of history entries to 3000000000 (or probably more than 2^31) results in
a value set to 1, rather than 5000.

Huh. Not sure if that's a wx bug, or just something with Python in
general. Will test.

On 16/04/2020 at 4:44 pm, Cyrille via groups.io wrote:
Hi James

Thanks for this update and for having integrated the space trimming
option. Very appreciated!

No more issue with character reading in 2020.1beta1.

Some additional notes, maybe for a future version?

1. Do you plan to be able to change the history number of entries at
setting panel validation rather than when restarting NVDA. This would
allow to set it to 1 temporarily to empty the history buffer. Another
option would be a button in the setting panel to perform this task.

2. Do you plan to integrate documentation accessible from Add-on
manager's help button?

3. Do you plan to make this add-on translatable? This would allow to
have setting panel in NVDA's user language and to have translated
documentation coming from the website? Of course, we will have to wait
for translation framework to be able again to include new add-ons.

4. A little bug with no impact in real life: Setting Maximum number of
history entries to 3000000000 (or probably more than 2^31) results in a
value set to 1, rather than 5000.

For points 2. and 3., add-on template may help.

Cheers.

Cyrille

Le 16/04/2020 à 02:08, James Scholes a écrit :
Speech History 2020.2 is released, which is compatible with NVDA
2019.3.1 and later including the 2020.1 beta.  In addition, the
settings panel for the add-on now allows you to set the following

* the maximum number of stored history entries; and
* whether to trim whitespace from the start and/or end of copied text.

This will be pushed through Add-On Updater, or you can find it at:
https://github.com/jscholes/nvda-speech-history/releases/download/2020.2/speechHistory-2020.2.nvda-addon

Thanks for these suggestions. I like the second idea, of having a command which suspends movement within the buffer, a bit like pressing NVDA+6 or NVDA+7. Let me think on this, because there will be cases where you enable the setting then forget about it, and the buffer item you were set on now no longer exists.

For history wrapping, I can certainly add it as an option, but the tone will still need to play to indicate that you've wrapped.

On 16/04/2020 at 7:14 pm, Nikola Jovic wrote:
> [...]

documentation coming from the website? Of course, we will have to wait
for translation framework to be able again to include new add-ons.

4. A little bug with no impact in real life: Setting Maximum number of
history entries to 3000000000 (or probably more than 2^31) results in a
value set to 1, rather than 5000.

For points 2. and 3., add-on template may help.

Cheers.

Cyrille

Le 16/04/2020 à 02:08, James Scholes a écrit :
Speech History 2020.2 is released, which is compatible with NVDA
2019.3.1 and later including the 2020.1 beta.  In addition, the
settings panel for the add-on now allows you to set the following

* the maximum number of stored history entries; and
* whether to trim whitespace from the start and/or end of copied text.

This will be pushed through Add-On Updater, or you can find it at:

Loh Boon Keat

Can you add the function that it will say the last text spoken text by NVDA and the word "coppied to clipboard"?

Example: NVDA  2 of 12 coppied to clipboard.

It will say like that when you press F12 to copy the text. Thanks.

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020, 9:39 AM James Scholes <james@...> wrote:
> [...]

>>> setting panel validation rather than when restarting NVDA. This would
>>> allow to set it to 1 temporarily to empty the history buffer. Another
>>> option would be a button in the setting panel to perform this task.
>>>
>>> 2. Do you plan to integrate documentation accessible from Add-on
>>> manager's help button?
>>>
>>> 3. Do you plan to make this add-on translatable? This would allow to
>>> have setting panel in NVDA's user language and to have translated
>>> documentation coming from the website? Of course, we will have to wait
>>> for translation framework to be able again to include new add-ons.
>>>
>>> 4. A little bug with no impact in real life: Setting Maximum number of
>>> history entries to 3000000000 (or probably more than 2^31) results in a
>>> value set to 1, rather than 5000.
>>>
>>> For points 2. and 3., add-on template may help.

James Scholes

I plan to add the option to have a message rather than a beep. But I don't know if it's appropriate to have the string repeated. It could be quite long.

<http://groups.io> wrote:
>>> Hi James
>>>

>>> Thanks for this update and for having integrated the space trimming
>>> option. Very appreciated!
>>>
>>> No more issue with character reading in 2020.1beta1.
>>>

>>> Some additional notes, maybe for a future version?
>>>
>>> 1. Do you plan to be able to change the history number of
entries at
>>> setting panel validation rather than when restarting NVDA. This
would
>>> allow to set it to 1 temporarily to empty the history buffer.
Another
>>> option would be a button in the setting panel to perform this task.
>>>
>>> 2. Do you plan to integrate documentation accessible from Add-on
>>> manager's help button?
>>>
>>> 3. Do you plan to make this add-on translatable? This would
allow to
>>> have setting panel in NVDA's user language and to have translated
>>> documentation coming from the website? Of course, we will have
to wait
>>> for translation framework to be able again to include new add-ons.
>>>
>>> 4. A little bug with no impact in real life: Setting Maximum
number of
>>> history entries to 3000000000 (or probably more than 2^31)
results in a
>>> value set to 1, rather than 5000.
>>>
>>> For points 2. and 3., add-on template may help.
>>>
>>> Cheers.
>>>
>>> Cyrille

https://github.com/jscholes/nvda-speech-history/releases/download/2020.2/speechHistory-2020.2.nvda-addon

Locutor Antonio Cezar

If make the change, please, I ask that this option is configurable for those who have a preference for sound, as is my case ... Thanks.

Por favor, assine nossa petição no link abaixo, compartilhe com todos os seus amigos, e colabore com a gente! Em favor do suporte para teclados Braille com digitação multitoque diretamente na tela de dispositivos Android para qualquer leitor de telas, principalmente para o Talkback!

https://secure.avaaz.org/po/petition/Google_Inc_Talkback_Development_Team_Google_Disability_Support_Team_PRECISAMOS_DO_BRAILLE_NO_ANDROID_TAMBEM/

    <http://groups.io> wrote:
     >>> Hi James
     >>>
     >>>
     >>> Thanks for this update and for having integrated the space trimming
     >>> option. Very appreciated!
     >>>
     >>> No more issue with character reading in 2020.1beta1.
     >>>
     >>>
     >>> Some additional notes, maybe for a future version?
     >>>
     >>> 1. Do you plan to be able to change the history number of
    entries at
     >>> setting panel validation rather than when restarting NVDA. This
    would
     >>> allow to set it to 1 temporarily to empty the history buffer.
    Another
     >>> option would be a button in the setting panel to perform this task.
     >>>
     >>> 2. Do you plan to integrate documentation accessible from Add-on
     >>> manager's help button?
     >>>
     >>> 3. Do you plan to make this add-on translatable? This would
    allow to
     >>> have setting panel in NVDA's user language and to have translated
     >>> documentation coming from the website? Of course, we will have
    to wait
     >>> for translation framework to be able again to include new add-ons.
     >>>
     >>> 4. A little bug with no impact in real life: Setting Maximum
    number of
     >>> history entries to 3000000000 (or probably more than 2^31)
    results in a
     >>> value set to 1, rather than 5000.
     >>>
     >>> For points 2. and 3., add-on template may help.
     >>>
     >>> Cheers.
     >>>
     >>> Cyrille

    https://github.com/jscholes/nvda-speech-history/releases/download/2020.2/speechHistory-2020.2.nvda-addon

James Scholes

If make the change, please, I ask that this option is configurable
for those who have a preference for sound, as is my case ... Thanks.

Of course.

<http://groups.io> wrote:
     >>> Hi James
     >>>
     >>>
     >>> Thanks for this update and for having integrated the space trimming
     >>> option. Very appreciated!
     >>>
     >>> No more issue with character reading in 2020.1beta1.
     >>>
     >>>
     >>> Some additional notes, maybe for a future version?
     >>>
     >>> 1. Do you plan to be able to change the history number of
    entries at
     >>> setting panel validation rather than when restarting NVDA. This
    would
     >>> allow to set it to 1 temporarily to empty the history buffer.
    Another
     >>> option would be a button in the setting panel to perform this task.
     >>>
     >>> 2. Do you plan to integrate documentation accessible from Add-on
     >>> manager's help button?
     >>>
     >>> 3. Do you plan to make this add-on translatable? This would
    allow to
     >>> have setting panel in NVDA's user language and to have translated
     >>> documentation coming from the website? Of course, we will have
    to wait
     >>> for translation framework to be able again to include new add-ons.
     >>>
     >>> 4. A little bug with no impact in real life: Setting Maximum
    number of
     >>> history entries to 3000000000 (or probably more than 2^31)
    results in a
     >>> value set to 1, rather than 5000.
     >>>
     >>> For points 2. and 3., add-on template may help.
     >>>
     >>> Cheers.
     >>>
     >>> Cyrille

https://github.com/jscholes/nvda-speech-history/releases/download/2020.2/speechHistory-2020.2.nvda-addon

Cyrille

Hi James,

Since this add-on is evolving and has a high potential of new features, I will add one suggestion.

The use case is that sometimes I want to copy not only one but 2 or more chunks that were recently spoken by NVDA.

A simple possibility to achieve this would be to write the whole history in a browseable window (e.g. using ui.browseablemessage).

Cheers,

Cyrille

    <http://groups.io> wrote:
     >>> Hi James
     >>>
     >>>
     >>> Thanks for this update and for having integrated the space trimming
     >>> option. Very appreciated!
     >>>
     >>> No more issue with character reading in 2020.1beta1.
     >>>
     >>>
     >>> Some additional notes, maybe for a future version?
     >>>
     >>> 1. Do you plan to be able to change the history number of
    entries at
     >>> setting panel validation rather than when restarting NVDA. This
    would
     >>> allow to set it to 1 temporarily to empty the history buffer.
    Another
     >>> option would be a button in the setting panel to perform this task.
     >>>
     >>> 2. Do you plan to integrate documentation accessible from Add-on
     >>> manager's help button?
     >>>
     >>> 3. Do you plan to make this add-on translatable? This would
    allow to
     >>> have setting panel in NVDA's user language and to have translated
     >>> documentation coming from the website? Of course, we will have
    to wait
     >>> for translation framework to be able again to include new add-ons.
     >>>
     >>> 4. A little bug with no impact in real life: Setting Maximum
    number of
     >>> history entries to 3000000000 (or probably more than 2^31)
    results in a
     >>> value set to 1, rather than 5000.
     >>>
     >>> For points 2. and 3., add-on template may help.
     >>>
     >>> Cheers.
     >>>
     >>> Cyrille

https://github.com/jscholes/nvda-speech-history/releases/download/2020.2/speechHistory-2020.2.nvda-addon

Jason Bratcher

Kinda like on the Blazie Engineering Braille N Speak Cursor Tracking turned off.
I.E., reading in one part of a file while rwiting in the other.

--
Jason Bratcher

Jason Bratcher

I see what he's hinting at.
Say like in GoldWave with the [ and ] keys for selecting audio;
However here, say, NVDA+[ to indicate the beginning of a multi-string block to copy,

use the buffer commands to then move forward to the last item you want to end the block at,
now an NVDA+] selects, then copies this whole thing to your local clipboard.
To paste it somewhere, get into an edit window and do another addon command like say  NVDA+\.
Assuming no interveening speech got in the way, the block is now pasted, perhaps with a solid space or line break separating each string in that block.

I'm just a Florida boy but this addon really is slick.
NVDA's tearing the shark's teeth out without even so much as general anesthesia!
--
Jason Bratcher

James Scholes

I can see this working, but a part of me also thinks that if you regularly need to copy entire blocks of speech, the speech viewer works fine for that apart from needing to be explicitly opened first. I'll give it some thought. One thing:

To paste it somewhere, get into an edit window and do another addon
command like say  NVDA+\.

If the block was on your clipboard, you could just press Control-V.

On 20/04/2020 at 10:54 am, Jason Bratcher wrote:
I see what he's hinting at.
Say like in GoldWave with the [ and ] keys for selecting audio;
However here, say, NVDA+[ to indicate the beginning of a multi-string block to copy,
use the buffer commands to then move forward to the last item you want to end the block at,
now an NVDA+] selects, then copies this whole thing to your local clipboard.
To paste it somewhere, get into an edit window and do another addon command like say  NVDA+\.
Assuming no interveening speech got in the way, the block is now pasted, perhaps with a solid space or line break separating each string in that block.
I'm just a Florida boy but this addon really is slick.
NVDA's tearing the shark's teeth out without even so much as general anesthesia!

mohammad suliman

Hello James,

Thanks for the add-on, I've shared it with some group I am part of. Some user has reported a bug with the add-on, the bug is as follows:
After installing the latest version of the add-on (20.2) NVDA stopped to report keyboard language changes with alt + shift. The user has no concrete steps to reproduce the issue, it happens quite randomly. The user has also verified that the problem happens only after installing the add-on. He removed the add-on and the issue was gone, then he reinstalled the add-on, and the issue reappeared. The user doesn't know if this is a regression, AKA if the behavior is also present with 20.1
Do you think you can investigate this with that kind of info?

Thanks!
Mohammad

On Mon, 20 Apr 2020 at 19:02, James Scholes <james@...> wrote:
I can see this working, but a part of me also thinks that if you
regularly need to copy entire blocks of speech, the speech viewer works
fine for that apart from needing to be explicitly opened first.  I'll
give it some thought.  One thing:

 > To paste it somewhere, get into an edit window and do another addon
command like say  NVDA+\.

If the block was on your clipboard, you could just press Control-V.

On 20/04/2020 at 10:54 am, Jason Bratcher wrote:
> I see what he's hinting at.
> Say like in GoldWave with the [ and ] keys for selecting audio;
> However here, say, NVDA+[ to indicate the beginning of a multi-string
> block to copy,
>
> use the buffer commands to then move forward to the last item you want
> to end the block at,
> now an NVDA+] selects, then copies this whole thing to your local
> clipboard.
> To paste it somewhere, get into an edit window and do another addon
> command like say  NVDA+\.
> Assuming no interveening speech got in the way, the block is now pasted,
> perhaps with a solid space or line break separating each string in that
> block.
>
> I'm just a Florida boy but this addon really is slick.
> NVDA's tearing the shark's teeth out without even so much as general
> anesthesia!

James Scholes

Hi Mohammad,

Thanks for the report. Unfortunately, I can't reproduce it here. Pressing both Alt+Shift and Windows+Space cause the input language to be switched, and NVDA to announce the newly selected one. This applies regardless of whether I have automatic language switching enabled or not.

If you can, please get a debug log.