request to add-on svox pico

Michael Cesarz-Szymanski

Hello everyone,

Happy new year!

I just subscribed to this addon- group whitch was recommended to me by a
member of the NVDA-Homepage.

I am using NVDA for many years and appreciating it!

My question is this:

Once I discovered the Add-on svox pico. It is a synthesizer using
Spanish, german and english language. Unfortunately svox pico doesn't
work with NVDA 2021.3.1 anymore.

I appreciate this synthesizer as in my point of view it sounds more
natural as Espeak. I wonder if it is possible to make this work again
with NVDA.

I also read a discussion in the internet to make the svox pico running
with NVDA by default as well as ESpeak already does. I think this would
be great!

Unfortunately I have not mutch expirience with programming, so this is a
suggestion I put in the list here.

Thank you for reading my contribution.

Best regards

Michael

Brian's Mail list account

Yes there are fans of this voice. I note with interest that Samsung has this as their default voice in most of their TV sets, so it is one assumes still being supported by somebody. It thus probably only needs driver reworking.
Myself I found it a bit too breathy for my liking, but each to their own. I like Espeak Quincy for screenreader, but some of the more natural sounding voices for reading proper articles.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk

[...]

Héctor Javier Benítez Corredera

Hi, David from the Spanish community started porting to Python 3 last year.

He released a first version to be tested but he already warned that it could contain problems.

Well I leave his repository in case someone wants to tell him to continue with the project or contact him.

https://github.com/davidacm/PicoTTS-NVDA

I also leave the version he released in case someone wants to test it:

https://nvda.es/files/get.php?file=svoxpico-dev

Greetings

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Cesarz-Szymanski" <cesarz-m@gmx.de>
[...]

Chris

Michael Cesarz-Szymanski

Hello,

Thanks for the versions. I already tryed them, but neither version 2 nor version 3 works with NVDA 2021.3.1.

Version 2 says it is not even possible to open.

Version 3 installs but there remains this message indicating that nvda needs to be restarted. Furthermore I cannot find the svox Pico in the NVDA menu under settings and voices.

I tryed these two versions already in december. But I gave it another try just a few minutes ago.

best regards

Michael

Am 11.01.2022 um 10:58 schrieb Chris via groups.io:

Héctor Javier Benítez Corredera

Hi, check your addons and delete before installing.

Also go to the roaming / nvda / addons folder and check that you only have a svox-pico folder.

Actually in the above path I would delete any folder named svox-pico and restart NVDA and there install version 3.0.

To me in NVDA 2021.3.1 works without problems.

Regards

El 11/01/2022 a las 11:12, Michael Cesarz-Szymanski escribió:

Hello,

Thanks for the versions. I already tryed them, but neither version 2 nor version 3 works with NVDA 2021.3.1.

Version 2 says it is not even possible to open.

Version 3 installs but there remains this message indicating that nvda needs to be restarted. Furthermore I cannot find the svox Pico in the NVDA menu under settings and voices.

I tryed these two versions already in december. But I gave it another try just a few minutes ago.

best regards

Michael

Am 11.01.2022 um 10:58 schrieb Chris via groups.io:

Jacob Kruger

It worked fine for me here under NVDA 2021.3, and, you need to choose it from under NVDA synthesizer selection - NVDA + ctrl + S, but, it's not my choice of voice as such, so, not too sure it won't come up with issues later on during usage.

Jacob Kruger
Skype: BlindZA

On 2022-01-11 12:12 PM, Michael Cesarz-Szymanski wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for the versions. I already tryed them, but neither version 2 nor version 3 works with NVDA 2021.3.1.

Version 2 says it is not even possible to open.

Version 3 installs but there remains this message indicating that nvda needs to be restarted. Furthermore I cannot find the svox Pico in the NVDA menu under settings and voices.

I tryed these two versions already in december. But I gave it another try just a few minutes ago.

best regards

Michael

Am 11.01.2022 um 10:58 schrieb Chris via groups.io:

Michael Cesarz-Szymanski

Hello Hector,

yes, I removed the folder svox pico as you suggested and installed version 3 dev again.

It works! Thanks alot!

However, there seems to be no possibility to change the language of svox pico in the NVDA Menu. One has to choose the key kombination STRG+NVDA+arrow keys for the settings ring. Sorry I do not know if it is the right english term, as I use a german version of NVDA.

So again thanks for your help to all!

best regards

Michael

Am 11.01.2022 um 11:21 schrieb Héctor Javier Benítez Corredera:

[...]

It did have strange quirks like saying a ba cee rather than ay bee cee sometimes.

It was also a little muffled because I suspect it was made for reproduction tiny phone speakers, so it would need some correction to stop sounding as honky. but as I say, it was very quick.
Was it originally made for Android?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk

On 2022-01-11 12:12 PM, Michael Cesarz-Szymanski wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for the versions. I already tryed them, but neither version 2
nor version 3 works with NVDA 2021.3.1.

Version 2 says it is not even possible to open.

Version 3 installs but there remains this message indicating that nvda
needs to be restarted. Furthermore I cannot find the svox Pico in the
NVDA menu under settings and voices.

I tryed these two versions already in december. But I gave it another
try just a few minutes ago.

best regards

Michael

Am 11.01.2022 um 10:58 schrieb Chris via groups.io:

*https://nvda-addons.org/addon.php?id=211*

Brian's Mail list account

Right it seems to work OK if you take out the old inactive version manually first.However when I first ran it it said it was Spanish, so I had to set the language to UK English. It still sounds like its got a kind of frequency suck out in the mid presence range, though the very high hf is better.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk