Quick Notetaker, a new NVDA add-on, request for review

mohammad suliman

Hi all,

We are so excited and delighted to interduce our new NVDA add-on called Quick Notetaker. As the name suggests, this is a notetaker for NVDA to allow writing, editing, managing and viewing notes in different formats smoothly and easily. Here is a description for the add-on from the documentation:

The Quick Notetaker add-on is a wonderful tool which allows writing notes quickly and easily anytime and from any app the user is using. Whether the user is watching a video for example, or participating in a meeting on Zoom, teams or Google meet, they can easily and smoothly open the notetaker and take a note. In order to create a quick note, NVDA + Alt + n key combination can be used, a floating window appears at the top left corner of the screen, so the note can be typed there.

Every note that is being Created can optionally get the active window title, and as such, the note content can get the context in which this note was created by having the note title as the active window title the user was using. This behavior can be changed from the add-on settings, where the user can decide whether the active window title is captured when creating a new note.

The add-on is already translated fully to Hebrew (including the documentation), and partially to Arabic (the interfaces are fully translated but not the documentation). If someone wants to take over the translation to Arabic so they may translate the documentation and improve the existing translation once the add-on is approved they are more than welcome.

The add-on can be found on GitHub:

https://github.com/mohammad-suliman/quickNotetaker/

The direct link to download the add-on:

https://github.com/mohammad-suliman/quickNotetaker/releases/download/v1.0/quickNotetaker-1.0.nvda-addon

Reviewers, we are waiting for your two sense on this. Please let us know what we need to do to get our add-on on the website.

Any ideas, suggestions or anything else from anyone are welcome and much appreciated!

Thanks!

Mohammad and Eilana

Noelia Ruiz

Hello, I've added this to the pending reviews wiki page, which
contains 5 pending add-ons:

https://nvda-addons.groups.io/g/nvda-addons/wiki/27367

Kind regards

[...]

adilhusain shaikh

Thanks for such a wonderful add-on,

Here are some idea for the future version.

  1. Allow a quick note to be tagged (personal, educational ETC)
  2. Allow notes to be organised into subfolders.

Thanks again and keep up the good work.

😊👍👍

Sent from Mail for Windows

[...]

William

Can the addon allow user to define folder to be saved?

Also, what is the format of the note to be saved?

mohammad suliman 於 2/10/2021 0:51 寫道:

[...]

Eilana Benish

Hello everybody

the notes can be saved as Microsoft Word document along with the note which is saved in the notes manager list as a simple text.

anyone who writes mark down can view the note as HTML format

Also HTML code can be copied and paste in another program

This is a great addon especially for those who works with multiple programs at the same time

 just great

בתאריך שבת, 2 באוק׳ 2021 ב-3:10 מאת William <xsuper.sillyx@...>:

[...]

Rowen Cary

Hello,

I installed this add-on for the first time and it seems to have encountered an error. From the log, it may be because the default directory is missing on my computer. Can you take a look? Below is the log snippet:

Error initializing global plugin Traceback (most recent call last): File "globalPluginHandler.pyc", line 33, in initialize File "C:\Users\manch\AppData\Roaming\nvda\addons\quickNotetaker\globalPlugins\quickNotetaker__init__.py", line 31, in init os.mkdir(addonConfig.getValue("notesDocumentsPath")) FileNotFoundError: [WinError 3] 系统找不到指定的路径。: 'C:\Users\manch\documents\quickNotetaker'

Rowen Cary

In Line 13 of the addonConfig.py file, if the "documents" is moved to another directory by the user, this error may be caused. This is the case in my case, so I changed this line to: "notesDocumentsPath": f"string(default={os.path.normpath(os.path.expanduser('~/quickNotetaker'))})",

mohammad suliman

Thanks Noelia! Hope we will get our review soon.

On Fri, 1 Oct 2021 at 20:20, Noelia Ruiz <nrm1977@...> wrote:
Hello, I've added this to the pending reviews wiki page, which
contains 5 pending add-ons:

https://nvda-addons.groups.io/g/nvda-addons/wiki/27367

Kind regards

> Hi all,
>

> We are so excited and delighted to interduce our new NVDA add-on called
> Quick Notetaker. As the name suggests, this is a notetaker for NVDA to
> allow writing, editing, managing and viewing notes in different formats
> smoothly and easily. Here is a description for the add-on from the
> documentation:
>

> The Quick Notetaker add-on is a wonderful tool which allows writing notes
> quickly and easily anytime and from any app the user is using. Whether the
> user is watching a video for example, or participating in a meeting on
> Zoom, teams or Google meet, they can easily and smoothly open the notetaker
> and take a note. In order to create a quick note, NVDA + Alt + n key
> combination can be used, a floating window appears at the top left corner
> of the screen, so the note can be typed there.
>
> Every note that is being Created can optionally get the active window
> title, and as such, the note content can get the context in which this note
> was created by having the note title as the active window title the user
> was using. This behavior can be changed from the add-on settings, where the
> user can decide whether the active window title is captured when creating a
> new note.
>

> The add-on is already translated fully to Hebrew (including the
> documentation), and partially to Arabic (the interfaces are fully
> translated but not the documentation). If someone wants to take over the
> translation to Arabic so they may translate the documentation and improve
> the existing translation once the add-on is approved they are more than
> welcome.
>

> The add-on can be found on GitHub:
>
> https://github.com/mohammad-suliman/quickNotetaker/
>
> The direct link to download the add-on:
>
> https://github.com/mohammad-suliman/quickNotetaker/releases/download/v1.0/quickNotetaker-1.0.nvda-addon
>

> Reviewers, we are waiting for your two sense on this. Please let us know
> what we need to do to get our add-on on the website.
>

> Any ideas, suggestions or anything else from anyone are welcome and much
> appreciated!
>

> Thanks!
>
> Mohammad and Eilana

mohammad suliman

Thanks for the suggestions. I documented them so we will discuss them internally for future versions.

On Fri, 1 Oct 2021 at 22:54, adilhusain shaikh <adil.cavi@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for trying the add-on out and reporting this bug. I published an edited version which is supposed to correct this. If you want to try the fix and report your findings you are welcome to do so.

On Sat, 2 Oct 2021 at 08:30, Rowen Cary <manchen_0528@...> wrote:

In Line 13 of the addonConfig.py file, if the "documents" is moved to another directory by the user, this error may be caused. This is the case in my case, so I changed this line to: "notesDocumentsPath": f"string(default={os.path.normpath(os.path.expanduser('~/quickNotetaker'))})",

Rowen Cary

I tested the latest release and there seems to be no problem.

Akash Kakkar

would be good if the notes will get synced to some online service

On 02/10/2021, Rowen Cary <manchen_0528@outlook.com> wrote:
I tested the latest release and there seems to be no problem.

Christo de Klerk

Syncing between Windows devices would be a really useful feature. Up until now I have been using Sticky Notes which does sync, but QuickNotetaker has so much to offer that I would prefer to use that instead, but I really would need the syncing feature.

An excellent piece of work!

Kind regards

Christo

On 02/10/2021, Rowen Cary <manchen_0528@...> wrote:
I tested the latest release and there seems to be no problem.

Rowen Cary

I tried to translate it into Chinese, but I saw an error when generating the pot template, can you see it? It seems that the original encoding is not specified: xgettext: Non-ASCII string at addon\globalPlugins\quickNotetaker\helpers.py:134.

Rui Fontes

Check if the document is in UTF-8...

Rui Fontes

Às 01:47 de 05/10/2021, Rowen Cary escreveu:

I tried to translate it into Chinese, but I saw an error when generating the pot template, can you see it? It seems that the original encoding is not specified: xgettext: Non-ASCII string at addon\globalPlugins\quickNotetaker\helpers.py:134.

mohammad suliman

Hi Rowen,

Thanks for the heads up! In fact, I am not able to replicate the issue on my machine, not sure whether adding an encoding line to the python files of the add-on will correct the issue. I haven't bothered to add such lines because in Python 3 the default encoding is utf8. Maybe gettext needs those lines to be added to function correctly?
I am attaching the pot file that I have created in case you are still interested.

Thanks,
Mohammad

On Tue, 5 Oct 2021 at 13:55, Rui Fontes <rui.fontes@...> wrote:

Check if the document is in UTF-8...

Rui Fontes

Às 01:47 de 05/10/2021, Rowen Cary escreveu:

I tried to translate it into Chinese, but I saw an error when generating the pot template, can you see it? It seems that the original encoding is not specified: xgettext: Non-ASCII string at addon\globalPlugins\quickNotetaker\helpers.py:134.

mohammad suliman

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, we will definitely take them to consideration for next versions.

On Sat, 2 Oct 2021 at 20:13, Christo de Klerk <christodeklerk@...> wrote:
Syncing between Windows devices would be a really useful feature. Up until now I have been using Sticky Notes which does sync, but QuickNotetaker has so much to offer that I would prefer to use that instead, but I really would need the syncing feature.

An excellent piece of work!

Kind regards

Christo

On 2021/10/02 06:53pm, Akash Kakkar wrote:
would be good if the notes will get synced to some online service

On 02/10/2021, Rowen Cary <manchen_0528@...> wrote:
I tested the latest release and there seems to be no problem.

mohammad suliman

Thanks Akash. Can you please give an example of an online service where the notes can be synced with? And what is the use case you are aiming for?

On Sat, 2 Oct 2021 at 19:53, Akash Kakkar <akash.diverse@...> wrote:
would be good if the notes will get synced to some online service

On 02/10/2021, Rowen Cary <manchen_0528@...> wrote:
> I tested the latest release and there seems to be no problem.

Cyrille

Yes, even with Python 3, you need the encoding line in your file if this file contains non ascii character (even just in comments).
It's needed for gettext, not for Python of course.

Cyrille
[...]

Hello

The Windows Sticky Notes app synchronises across devices linked to the same MS account. So, when I add, edit or delete notes on, say, my desktop, they get automatically synced to my laptop so that I have them handy when I take the laptop somewhere else with me. This is a really handy feature.

Kind regards

Christo