Topics

Quick Dictionary with automatic switching of synthesizers for selected languages #addonrelease

Oleksandr Gryshchenko

Hi friends,
I added to the add-on the ability to manipulate the profiles of voice synthesizers and associate them with selected languages.
If you enable and configure this function, the received dictionary articles will be sounded by the voice synthesizers of your choice.
An example for the implementation of this possibility was the Switch Synth add-on. Thanks to its author Tyler Spivey for a great idea.

Also added the ability to download current list of available languages from the online dictionary.

Thanks to Cagri Dogan, a translation into Turkish has been added.
At the same time, updated translations and ReadMe documents in English and Ukrainian.

Friends, I'm very grateful to everyone who makes translations and leaves feedback and wishes about this project!

You can download the updated version by following the link below:
https://github.com/grisov/quickDictionary/releases/download/v1.2/quickDictionary-1.2.nvda-addon

p.s. I remember the request to add Arabic and Tamil.
Therefore, in the next version I plan to add the ability to use different online dictionaries and switch between them.

I wish everyone a good week!
Oleksandr

Hi,

Was this reviewed? If not, I think it should be reviewed ASAP by someone willing to do so.

[...]

Locutor Antonio Cezar

sailor preliminary assessment almost first trip:
1. Manifest.ini with all necessary references.
2. Documentation in English very well detailed.
3. The translation Add-On feature works very well.
4. The synthesizers exchange still requires adjustments for the following reasons:
4.1. I set up the profile with one voice, rate, pitch etc ... for the Eloquence synthesizer.
4.2. I set up the profile 3 with voice, tone, speed, etc ... for Eolquence synthesizer.
4.3. I associated the Portuguese language profile 1 and the English language profile 2.
4.4. I set the source language to English, which is the language that most need translation.
4.5. I set the Target language to Portuguese, which is my native language.
4.6. When I'm in a text in English, I change my default synthesizer for English with SwitchSynth Add-On.
4.7. Saved the configuration NVDA with NVDA + Control+C.
4.8. Select a word in the English text and translate and command NVDA+Y, followed by the letter D.
4.9. The QuickDictionary switches the voice for the profile 1 in Portuguese will speak when the translation, but does not automatically return to the English language that is currently configured by default in NVDA.

My eternal gratitude to you and to all who dedicate their time and expertise in the maintenance and development of Add-Ons for the community of our NVDA... Thanks.

Locutor Antonio Cezar

Em 11/10/2020 18:49, Joseph Lee escreveu:

[...]

Sorry: 4.3. I associated the Portuguese language profile 1 and the English language profile 3.

Locutor Antonio Cezar

Em 11/10/2020 19:51, Locutor Antonio Cezar via groups.io escreveu:

[...]

وفيق طاهر

Edited

Oleksandr Gryshchenko

Hi friends,
Thanks to Cagri Dogan and وفيق طاهر for translations into Turkish and Arabic!
I updated the release, so translations are already included:
https://github.com/grisov/quickDictionary/releases/tag/v1.2

Antonio, thank you for such a detailed analysis and a detailed description of your actions.
> 4.6. When I'm in a text in English, I change my default synthesizer for English with SwitchSynth Add-On.
> 4.8. Select a word in the English text and translate and command NVDA+Y, followed by the letter D.
> 4.9. The QuickDictionary switches the voice for the profile 1 in Portuguese will speak when the translation, but does not automatically return to the English language that is currently configured by default in NVDA.

The fact is that the add-on now remembers as the default synthesizer the one that was configured at the time of launching NVDA.
I will change this behavior so that the add-on will remember the synthesizer, which is installed just before the pronunciation of the dictionary article.

And one more point - switching to the default synthesizer occurs only at the end of all spoken text. If the speech is interrupted - switching will not happen.
Unfortunately, I still don't understand how to technically implement the forced switching of the synthesizer when interrupting speech.
I continue to study this issue, I hope I will be able to solve it in the near future.

Good luck to all!
Oleksandr

Locutor Antonio Cezar

Ok. Expecting the new version with the news implemmentatations... Thanks

Locutor Antonio Cezar

Em 13/10/2020 14:02, Oleksandr Gryshchenko escreveu:

Hi friends,
Thanks to Cagri Dogan and وفيق طاهر for translations into Turkish and Arabic!
I updated the release, so translations are already included:
https://github.com/grisov/quickDictionary/releases/tag/v1.2

Antonio, thank you for such a detailed analysis and a detailed description of your actions.
> 4.6. When I'm in a text in English, I change my default synthesizer for English with SwitchSynth Add-On.
> 4.8. Select a word in the English text and translate and command NVDA+Y, followed by the letter D.
> 4.9. The QuickDictionary switches the voice for the profile 1 in Portuguese will speak when the translation, but does not automatically return to the English language that is currently configured by default in NVDA.

The fact is that the add-on now remembers as the default synthesizer the one that was configured at the time of launching NVDA.
I will change this behavior so that the add-on will remember the synthesizer, which is installed just before the pronunciation of the dictionary article.

And one more point - switching to the default synthesizer occurs only at the end of all spoken text. If the speech is interrupted - switching will not happen.
Unfortunately, I still don't understand how to technically implement the forced switching of the synthesizer when interrupting speech.
I continue to study this issue, I hope I will be able to solve it in the near future.

Good luck to all!
Oleksandr

Oleksandr Gryshchenko

Hi friends,

If someone uses online dictionaries - I offer an updated version of Quick Dictionary add-on :)
Many significant changes have been made to this release.
The biggest change is that the add-on's capabilities can now be expanded by adding new online dictionaries and translation services.
Added dialog box for managing voice synthesizers profiles.
The full list of updates is listed below.

New dictionary service also supports Arabic, as it was previously requested here:
https://github.com/grisov/quickDictionary/issues/1

Changes in version 2.0:
* added the ability to connect other online dictionary services (now supported Lexicala and Yandex);
* added Lexicala service and its settings panel (supports 50 languages) - https://www.lexicala.com/
* added a dialog for choosing an online service from the list of available ones;
* added a command to get information about the selected service;
* added a dialog for working with profiles of voice synthesizers (supported operations Create/Change/Delete/Update/Save);
* implemented the procedure for switching to the previous voice synthesizer;
* implemented a parallel thread to monitor the state of the synthesizer ((improved switching of synthesizers when voicing a dictionary article));
* due to an increase in the number of functions in the add-on - help for commands is now displayed in a separate window;
* updated procedure for caching requests to online services;
* added add-on submenu to NVDA menu;
* updated ReadMe.

Please note that Lexicala Dictionaries only allows 300 free inquiries per day.
Therefore, if you plan to use this service - please register your own account.

You can download the updated version here:
https://github.com/grisov/quickDictionary/releases/download/v2.0/quickDictionary-2.0.nvda-addon

Have a nice week-end!
Oleksandr

Hi everyone,

Finally, a basic review:

  • License and copyright: pass
  • User experience: pass
  • Documentation: pass (with comments)
  • Security: pass (deeper reviews could be helpful)

Comments:

  • I think it would be best to separate instructions on building the add-on into its own document, as the readme file content will be used as basis for the add-on entry on community add-ons website.
  • Can we possibly do a deeper review (if requested) on online services?
  • Do you expect the add-on to be used in secure mode (logon screen adn so on)? If not, I think it would be best to let the add-on do nothing if NVDA is running in secure mode.

Let's register this add-on on community add-ons website by next year i.e. I'm giving this a green light, seeing that it opens up huge potential for many people. Thanks.

First, apologies for delay in performing basic review.

A suggestion: I think it would be helpful to add wiki-based sources such as Wiktionary provided that API’s to interact with them exists.

There are certain code fragments that could be improved (notably the global plugin constructor and script definitions), but these won’t be done unless the author requests deeper reviews from the community.

  • Security: pass (deeper reviews could be helpful)

Comments:

  • I think it would be best to separate instructions on building the add-on into its own document, as the readme file content will be used as basis for the add-on entry on community add-ons website.
  • Can we possibly do a deeper review (if requested) on online services?
  • Do you expect the add-on to be used in secure mode (logon screen adn so on)? If not, I think it would be best to let the add-on do nothing if NVDA is running in secure mode.

Let's register this add-on on community add-ons website by next year i.e. I'm giving this a green light, seeing that it opens up huge potential for many people. Thanks.

Oleksandr Gryshchenko

Hi friends,

Joseph, I am very grateful to you for the review!

> * I think it would be best to separate instructions on building the add-on into its own document, as the readme file content will be used  as basis for the add-on entry on community add-ons website.
I agree with you that the add-on help should be issued as a separate document because it has become quite voluminous. Tomorrow I will separate the help page from ReadMe.

> * Can we possibly do a deeper review (if requested) on online services?
Yes of course, I would like the community to conduct a more in-depth review of all my add-ons.

> * Do you expect the add-on to be used in secure mode (logon screen adn so on)? If not, I think it would be best to let the add-on do nothing if NVDA is running in secure mode.
Yes, tomorrow I will add this code to the add-on.

> A suggestion: I think it would be helpful to add wiki-based sources such as Wiktionary provided that API’s to interact with them exists.
Yes, this is a good resource - thanks for the advice!
As far as I know, there used to be a pretty messy API... But I hope that in a few years everything has changed.
I will learn how this can be done.

> There are certain code fragments that could be improved (notably the global plugin constructor and script definitions), but these won’t be done unless the author requests deeper reviews from the community.
I would be very grateful for any advice on improving the code.
I'm still learning to be a developer and would appreciate any recomendations.

@Paul
Thanks for the information.
There really was a error - I have already corrected it and will publish an updated release tomorrow.

Best wishes!
Oleksandr

Oleksandr Gryshchenko

Hi friends,
I hope the problems with Google groups are already resolved.

I updated the add-on to version 2.1.

Changes in this version:
* separated add-on help page from ReadMe;
* added a menu item that invokes the add-on's own help page;
* added a line of code that disables the add-on in secure mode;
* added a dialog to edit the text before sending to remote service;
* Turkish translation added (thanks to Cagri Dogan);
* fixed bug reported by Paul.

Link to download:
https://github.com/grisov/quickDictionary/releases/download/v2.1/quickDictionary-2.1.nvda-addon

And please, if it possible, I would like the community to do an in-depth review of all my add-ons.

Greetings.
Oleksandr