Topics

Problem with NVDA in e-mail cliants.

Teddy Bear Cute

Hi friends, I come back again.

This time, I want to suggest to NVDA team fix this problem

When I open the mail in Thunderbird or Microsoft outlook, before it read the message, NVDA will firstly read the subject and the type of message.

Hope NVDA team can fix this problem.

From Mr. Tai, Penang malaysia.

Quentin Christensen

Dear Mr Tai,

When you open a message, it opens in a new Window - the title of the window matches the subject of the message.  When the new window opens, NVDA reads the window title, the type of control the focus is in, and the contents.  This is exactly the same as when you open say a Word document from file explorer, or even without opening something new, when you alt+tab to another window, it will read the same information.

Theoretically while it could be possible to disable reading this for an Outlook (or Thunderbird) message window, it would then get more complex as you would need to behave differently depending on whether you were opening the window for the first time (pressing enter on a message in Outlook / Thunderbird, or whether you were pressing alt+tab to move to a previously opened window, in which case presumably, you would want the title read out to know what window you were going to.

While there are arguably times when NVDA could perhaps better communicate to users, this is one of those cases, where it helps to understand what type of information NVDA is reading, so you can selectively ignore it at those times when you know already what it is saying.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 6:42 AM Teddy Bear Cute <blind.toyolcyber@...> wrote:

Hi friends, I come back again.

This time, I want to suggest to NVDA team fix this problem

When I open the mail in Thunderbird or Microsoft outlook, before it read the message, NVDA will firstly read the subject and the type of message.

Hope NVDA team can fix this problem.

From Mr. Tai, Penang malaysia.

--
Quentin Christensen