Topics

Only Run Addon For Certain Apps

Jim Homme

Hi,

Is it possible to make NVDA only enable an add-on when you use an app or certain apps? Also, is it possible to enable  an add-on when using a certain app? I’m asking because I want to use the Sentence Nav add-on in most applications, but not all.

Thanks.

Jim

==========

Jim Homme

Digital Accessibility

Bender Consulting Services

412-787-8567

https://www.benderconsult.com/our%20services/hightest-accessible-technology-solutions

Support Bender Leadership Academy with your Amazon purchases

James Scholes

Not sure if config profiles take the enabled state of add-ons into account. Give it a go, and if not you can file an enhancement request.

In the meantime, there are two other options that come to mind, but both are a bit of a pain:

1. If config profiles take custom gestures into account, remove the mappings for an add-on in your default config profile and then re-apply them in the app(s) you want to use the add-on in. The add-on will still be enabled everywhere, but will only be triggerable where you want it to be. Or...
2. Make a copy of the add-on and turn it into an app module.

On 28/10/2020 at 6:38 am, Jim Homme wrote:
Hi,

Is it possible to make NVDA only enable an add-on when you use an app or certain apps? Also, is it possible to enable  an add-on when using a certain app? I’m asking because I want to use the Sentence Nav add-on in most applications, but not all.

Thanks.

Jim

==========

Jim Homme

Digital Accessibility

Bender Consulting Services

412-787-8567

https://www.benderconsult.com/our%20services/hightest-accessible-technology-solutions <https://www.benderconsult.com/our%20services/hightest-accessible-technology-solutions>

Support Bender Leadership Academy with your Amazon purchases <https://smile.amazon.com/ch/83-0988251>.

Rui Fontes

Hello!

Using something like:

apps = ["winword", "wordpad", "wordim", "soffice", "dspeech", "outlook"]
if api.getFocusObject().appModule.appName in apps:

    pass

else:

    Do something

Rui Fontes

NVDA portuguese team

Às 16:28 de 28/10/2020, James Scholes escreveu:

[...]

Here is a related question. Is there some reason we need to restart NVDA if we disable an addon, or is this something that would make NVDA work improperly if we don't restart it?

Thanks.

Jim

[...]

I suppose that is because:

1 - NVDA loads all modules in memory, maybe only their existance, when is loaded;

2 - Do not exist any way to tell NVDA to remove from memory a modul...

3 - So, the only way to remove a module from memory is to restart NVDA...

Rui Fontes

NVDA portuguese team

Às 14:00 de 29/10/2020, Jim Homme escreveu:

[...]

Robert Hänggi

There's a command to reload add-ons (NVDA+Control+Shift+F3).
That's as close to a soft take over as you can get at the moment.

It's certainly worth a feature request. Without disabling on the fly,
add-on toggles in profiles would be pointless.
And I still don't understand why global gestures have precedence over
app-modules.
Robert