Topics

NVDA 2019.3 and community add-ons: slowly making progress

Hi all,

Another update on community add-ons and their readiness for NVDA 2019.3/2019.3.1:

Out of 70 add-ons hosted on community add-ons website:

  • Compatible: 54
  • Work in progress: 3
  • Planned: 1
  • Included in NVDA: 2
  • Incompatible: 10

Some add-ons require manifest edits, some will require more extensive edits, and one or two will take a long time to get them compatible.

Vova Mobile

Hi all.
There is an updated addon Newfon (ukrainian and russian speech
synthesizer), but its libraries are distributed under a proprietary
license. However, the application remains free.
New developers don't want to keep the code open to keep the synthesizer clean.
I wrote about this but did not receive a comprehensive answer.
I'm interesting: Can I host a proprietary license addon on addons site?

James Scholes

A note re: Speech History: I haven't yet updated to NVDA 2019.3 myself, because of some speech dictionary related issues. I will hopefully find time to update this weekend, which will mean a Speech History update shortly after.

On 13/02/2020 at 12:49 pm, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi all,
Another update on community add-ons and their readiness for NVDA 2019.3/2019.3.1:
Out of 70 add-ons hosted on community add-ons website:
* Compatible: 54
* Work in progress: 3
* Planned: 1
* Included in NVDA: 2
* Incompatible: 10
Some add-ons require manifest edits, some will require more extensive edits, and one or two will take a long time to get them compatible.

If developers are willing to license the DLL in such a way that it can be run inside a GPL 2 licensed software (NVDA), then yes, if not, no. This is one of the reasons why speech synthesizer add-ons are hosted somewhere else - not only license, but copyright issues abound.