Topics

Notice on Joseph Lee's add-ons: several add-ons to require NVDA 2020.4, 2021.1 transition to be completed by summer

Hi all,

As we patiently await NVDA 2020.4, a few things to note regarding my add-ons and NVDA compatibility:

  • NVDA 2020.4 will be required for some add-ons: starting March, add-on updates will require NVDA 2020.4 in order to take advantage of important changes introduced in this release. It will start with Add-on Updater 21.03 (March release) and will end at least 60 days after NvDA 2021.1 is released.
  • NVDA 2021.1 compatibility: as 2021.1 is a breaking release, I expect at least one of my add-ons to break, and I’m keeping an eye on latest developments and editing my add-on code accordingly. Although the transition is smaller than 2019.2 to 2019.3, it still carries risks. Based on lessons I and the community has learned (namely not many add-ons being made compatible early on and losing contact with authors of old and important add-ons), I will not ask users to upgrade to NvDA 2021.1 for at least 60 days after it is released i.e. add-ons will not require 2021.1 for a while. Affected add-ons include Add-on Updater and Resource Monitor, but rest assured that these add-ons will work with NVDA 2021.1.

For folks interested in what’s going on with NVDA 2021.1: I advise keeping an eye on “py3.8” branch found in NV Access/NVDA repo as it will give you a clue as to what you need to do to prepare your add-ons. I expect the transition won’t pick up speed for a while – it will once 2021.1 beta 1 ships.

Yes I wrote to the author of Audio themes studio a couple of weeks ago, as it is broken in all the recent
Alpha releases, but have had no response as yet. This add on I find extremely useful for helping appreciate screen layout and also as a simpler way to know when something has in fact happened than having a lot of verbiage spoken.
If anyone here knows where to contact the author outside of the email in the add on then could they ask them if they want to fix it? Failing that, maybe somebody could look at the errors generated as its initialised and see if it can be fixed?
Thanks very much.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk