Topics

New addon: Kill NVDA

Tyler Spivey

I have decided to release my latest addon, Kill NVDA.

This addon is designed to temporarily kill NVDA, so that you can recover if it freezes and takes the keyboard with it. Some of you know the freeze I'm talking about.

Repo:
https://github.com/tspivey/killNVDA

Download v0.1 here:
https://github.com/tspivey/killNVDA/releases/download/v0.1/killNVDA-0.1.nvda-addon

Mason Armstrong <mason@...>

Hi Tyler,

I appreciate you posting this add-on. It will come in very useful, as NVDA likes to die way too often.

On 4/13/2020 15:16, Tyler Spivey wrote:
I have decided to release my latest addon, Kill NVDA.

This addon is designed to temporarily kill NVDA, so that you can recover if it freezes and takes the keyboard with it. Some of you know the freeze I'm talking about.

Repo:
https://github.com/tspivey/killNVDA

Download v0.1 here:
https://github.com/tspivey/killNVDA/releases/download/v0.1/killNVDA-0.1.nvda-addon

Hi,
Basic review results:
* License and copyright: pass
* Documentation: pass
* User experience: pass
Security: pass (with comments)

Comments:
* Yes, the add-on does work.
* In terms of security, users will be prompted to copy add-ons to system config, which will give them a chance to think twice before proceeding.
* Although a confirmation dialog would be useful, I understand why there is no need for it.
* I advise posting a warning in the readme when the add-on goes live.

For those who don't know what Tyler is talking about: suppose you perform a task from Command Prompt or Windows Subsystem for Linux shell that will result in thousands of characters sent to standard output or error or performs operations that will cause keyboard to stop responding. If this happens, NVDA will not respond, taking down keyboard processing along with it. A number of solutions were attempted with a potential fix making into alpha snapshots a while back, but it was pulled. The ideal solution is rewriting keyboard hook and processing code in C/C++. For the time being, this add-on will do.

I advise green light unless people feel this should be tested a bit more or have concerns.

I appreciate you posting this add-on. It will come in very useful, as NVDA likes to die way too often.

On 4/13/2020 15:16, Tyler Spivey wrote:
I have decided to release my latest addon, Kill NVDA.

This addon is designed to temporarily kill NVDA, so that you can
recover if it freezes and takes the keyboard with it. Some of you know
the freeze I'm talking about.

Repo:
https://github.com/tspivey/killNVDA

Download v0.1 here:
https://github.com/tspivey/killNVDA/releases/download/v0.1/killNVDA-0.1.nvda-addon

James Scholes

Although a confirmation dialog would be useful, I understand why
there is no need for it.

Well, a confirmation dialog would be useless, because NVDA has died and you can't read or interact with the dialog. So it would completely negate the point.

On 13/04/2020 at 3:45 pm, Joseph Lee wrote:
[...]

Amendment: the add-on runs in a secure screen, so you could still interact, assuming that a standard modal dialog would show up in that context. However, users specifically have to activate the menu item, so no dialog is probably fine.

On 13/04/2020 at 3:47 pm, James Scholes wrote:
> Although a confirmation dialog would be useful, I understand why
there is no need for it.
Well, a confirmation dialog would be useless, because NVDA has died and you can't read or interact with the dialog.  So it would completely negate the point.
On 13/04/2020 at 3:45 pm, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
Basic review results:
* License and copyright: pass
* Documentation: pass
* User experience: pass
Security: pass (with comments)

Comments:
* Yes, the add-on does work.
* In terms of security, users will be prompted to copy add-ons to system config, which will give them a chance to think twice before proceeding.
* Although a confirmation dialog would be useful, I understand why there is no need for it.
* I advise posting a warning in the readme when the add-on goes live.

For those who don't know what Tyler is talking about: suppose you perform a task from Command Prompt or Windows Subsystem for Linux shell that will result in thousands of characters sent to standard output or error or performs operations that will cause keyboard to stop responding. If this happens, NVDA will not respond, taking down keyboard processing along with it. A number of solutions were attempted with a potential fix making into alpha snapshots a while back, but it was pulled. The ideal solution is rewriting keyboard hook and processing code in C/C++. For the time being, this add-on will do.

I advise green light unless people feel this should be tested a bit more or have concerns.

I appreciate you posting this add-on. It will come in very useful, as NVDA likes to die way too often.

On 4/13/2020 15:16, Tyler Spivey wrote:
I have decided to release my latest addon, Kill NVDA.

This addon is designed to temporarily kill NVDA, so that you can
recover if it freezes and takes the keyboard with it. Some of you know
the freeze I'm talking about.

Repo:
https://github.com/tspivey/killNVDA

Download v0.1 here:
https://github.com/tspivey/killNVDA/releases/download/v0.1/killNVDA-0.1.nvda-addon

Rui Fontes

One more item in review:

Translatable state:

Don't pass, since it is not ready to translate...

I will keep insisting in the need to make all add-ons translatable...

Rui Fontes

NVDA portuguese team

Às 21:45 de 13/04/2020, Joseph Lee escreveu:

[...]

As much as we wish to make add-ons ready for translators, in accordance with NV Access announcement last week, this part of the review process is hereby suspended.

I appreciate you posting this add-on. It will come in very useful, as NVDA likes to die way too often.

On 4/13/2020 15:16, Tyler Spivey wrote:
I have decided to release my latest addon, Kill NVDA.

This addon is designed to temporarily kill NVDA, so that you can
recover if it freezes and takes the keyboard with it. Some of you
know the freeze I'm talking about.

Repo:
https://github.com/tspivey/killNVDA

Download v0.1 here:
https://github.com/tspivey/killNVDA/releases/download/v0.1/killNVDA-0
.1.nvda-addon

Hi,
Clarification on how long this will last: until further notice. So when looking at translatable strings when reviewing add-ons (which technically falls under user experience and documentation portions), be mindful that translation of new add-ons cannot be done for now until further notice. This does not mean add-on authors should ignore feedback on add-on messages - you are encouraged to make messages translatable, it is just that translators won't be able to translate add-on messages for the time being.
Thank you.

As much as we wish to make add-ons ready for translators, in accordance with NV Access announcement last week, this part of the review process is hereby suspended.

I appreciate you posting this add-on. It will come in very useful, as NVDA likes to die way too often.

On 4/13/2020 15:16, Tyler Spivey wrote:
I have decided to release my latest addon, Kill NVDA.

This addon is designed to temporarily kill NVDA, so that you can
recover if it freezes and takes the keyboard with it. Some of you
know the freeze I'm talking about.

Repo:
https://github.com/tspivey/killNVDA

Download v0.1 here:
https://github.com/tspivey/killNVDA/releases/download/v0.1/killNVDA-0
.1.nvda-addon

Rui Fontes

Correct!

But if the add-on is translatable, the various communities can translate it and make it available for the respectives communities...

Rui Fontes

NVDA portuguese team

Às 00:53 de 14/04/2020, Joseph Lee escreveu:

[...]

In a way, that's an alternative. However this introduces fragmentation, something we don't want to go through again (we went through this before with add-on repos).

As much as we wish to make add-ons ready for translators, in accordance with NV Access announcement last week, this part of the review process is hereby suspended.

I appreciate you posting this add-on. It will come in very useful, as NVDA likes to die way too often.

On 4/13/2020 15:16, Tyler Spivey wrote:
I have decided to release my latest addon, Kill NVDA.

This addon is designed to temporarily kill NVDA, so that you can
recover if it freezes and takes the keyboard with it. Some of you
know the freeze I'm talking about.

Repo:
https://github.com/tspivey/killNVDA

Download v0.1 here:
https://github.com/tspivey/killNVDA/releases/download/v0.1/killNVDA-0
.1.nvda-addon

Tyler Spivey

Why haven't you moved already?
NV Access doesn't give you access to the server anymore, so your response should be to get a $5 or $10 VPS and set the infrastructure back up there, not just wait for them to do... whatever they're going to do.

On 4/13/2020 4:53 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
[...]

Locutor Antonio Cezar

Does this Add-On resolve the error with the nvdaHelperRemote!?... Thank you.

Por favor, assine nossa petição no link abaixo, compartilhe com todos os seus amigos, e colabore com a gente! Em favor do suporte para teclados Braille com digitação multitoque diretamente na tela de dispositivos Android para qualquer leitor de telas, principalmente para o Talkback!

https://secure.avaaz.org/po/petition/Google_Inc_Talkback_Development_Team_Google_Disability_Support_Team_PRECISAMOS_DO_BRAILLE_NO_ANDROID_TAMBEM/