Topics

New addon: Kill NVDA

Tyler Spivey

I have decided to release my latest addon, Kill NVDA.

This addon is designed to temporarily kill NVDA, so that you can recover if it freezes and takes the keyboard with it. Some of you know the freeze I'm talking about.

Repo:
https://github.com/tspivey/killNVDA

Download v0.1 here:
https://github.com/tspivey/killNVDA/releases/download/v0.1/killNVDA-0.1.nvda-addon

Mason Armstrong <mason@...>

Hi Tyler,

I appreciate you posting this add-on. It will come in very useful, as NVDA likes to die way too often.

On 4/13/2020 15:16, Tyler Spivey wrote:

This addon is designed to temporarily kill NVDA, so that you can recover if it freezes and takes the keyboard with it. Some of you know the freeze I'm talking about.

Repo:

Download v0.1 here:
https://github.com/tspivey/killNVDA/releases/download/v0.1/killNVDA-0.1.nvda-addon

Hi,
Basic review results:
* License and copyright: pass
* Documentation: pass
* User experience: pass
Security: pass (with comments)

Comments:
* Yes, the add-on does work.
* In terms of security, users will be prompted to copy add-ons to system config, which will give them a chance to think twice before proceeding.
* Although a confirmation dialog would be useful, I understand why there is no need for it.
* I advise posting a warning in the readme when the add-on goes live.

For those who don't know what Tyler is talking about: suppose you perform a task from Command Prompt or Windows Subsystem for Linux shell that will result in thousands of characters sent to standard output or error or performs operations that will cause keyboard to stop responding. If this happens, NVDA will not respond, taking down keyboard processing along with it. A number of solutions were attempted with a potential fix making into alpha snapshots a while back, but it was pulled. The ideal solution is rewriting keyboard hook and processing code in C/C++. For the time being, this add-on will do.

I advise green light unless people feel this should be tested a bit more or have concerns.
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mason Armstrong
Sent: Monday, April 13, 2020 1:29 PM
To: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda-addons] New addon: Kill NVDA

Hi Tyler,

I appreciate you posting this add-on. It will come in very useful, as NVDA likes to die way too often.

This addon is designed to temporarily kill NVDA, so that you can
recover if it freezes and takes the keyboard with it. Some of you know
the freeze I'm talking about.

Repo:

Download v0.1 here:

James Scholes

Although a confirmation dialog would be useful, I understand why
there is no need for it.

Well, a confirmation dialog would be useless, because NVDA has died and you can't read or interact with the dialog. So it would completely negate the point.

Regards,

James Scholes

On 13/04/2020 at 3:45 pm, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
Basic review results:
Comments:
* In terms of security, users will be prompted to copy add-ons to system config, which will give them a chance to think twice before proceeding.
* Although a confirmation dialog would be useful, I understand why there is no need for it.
For those who don't know what Tyler is talking about: suppose you perform a task from Command Prompt or Windows Subsystem for Linux shell that will result in thousands of characters sent to standard output or error or performs operations that will cause keyboard to stop responding. If this happens, NVDA will not respond, taking down keyboard processing along with it. A number of solutions were attempted with a potential fix making into alpha snapshots a while back, but it was pulled. The ideal solution is rewriting keyboard hook and processing code in C/C++. For the time being, this add-on will do.
I advise green light unless people feel this should be tested a bit more or have concerns.
Cheers,
Joseph
From: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mason Armstrong
Hi Tyler,

Repo:

Download v0.1 here:

James Scholes

Amendment: the add-on runs in a secure screen, so you could still interact, assuming that a standard modal dialog would show up in that context. However, users specifically have to activate the menu item, so no dialog is probably fine.

Regards,

James Scholes

On 13/04/2020 at 3:47 pm, James Scholes wrote:
> Although a confirmation dialog would be useful, I understand why
there is no need for it.
Well, a confirmation dialog would be useless, because NVDA has died and you can't read or interact with the dialog.  So it would completely negate the point.
Regards,
James Scholes
On 13/04/2020 at 3:45 pm, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
Basic review results:

Comments:

Cheers,
Joseph

Hi Tyler,

Repo:

Download v0.1 here:

Rui Fontes

One more item in review:

Translatable state:

Don't pass, since it is not ready to translate...

I will keep insisting in the need to make all add-ons translatable...

Rui Fontes

NVDA portuguese team

Às 21:45 de 13/04/2020, Joseph Lee escreveu:

Hi,
Basic review results:

Comments:

Cheers,
Joseph

Hi Tyler,

Repo:

Download v0.1 here:

Hi,
As much as we wish to make add-ons ready for translators, in accordance with NV Access announcement last week, this part of the review process is hereby suspended.
Cheers,
Joseph

From: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rui Fontes
Sent: Monday, April 13, 2020 4:45 PM

One more item in review:

Translatable state:

Rui Fontes

NVDA portuguese team

Hi,
Basic review results:

Comments:

Cheers,
Joseph

<nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mason Armstrong

Hi Tyler,

recover if it freezes and takes the keyboard with it. Some of you
know the freeze I'm talking about.

Repo:

Download v0.1 here:
https://github.com/tspivey/killNVDA/releases/download/v0.1/killNVDA-0
.1.nvda-addon

Hi,
Clarification on how long this will last: until further notice. So when looking at translatable strings when reviewing add-ons (which technically falls under user experience and documentation portions), be mindful that translation of new add-ons cannot be done for now until further notice. This does not mean add-on authors should ignore feedback on add-on messages - you are encouraged to make messages translatable, it is just that translators won't be able to translate add-on messages for the time being.
Thank you.
Cheers,
Joseph

From: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee via groups.io
Sent: Monday, April 13, 2020 4:47 PM

Hi,
As much as we wish to make add-ons ready for translators, in accordance with NV Access announcement last week, this part of the review process is hereby suspended.
Cheers,
Joseph

From: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rui Fontes

One more item in review:

Translatable state:

Rui Fontes

NVDA portuguese team

Hi,
Basic review results:

Comments:

Cheers,
Joseph

Hi Tyler,

Repo:

Download v0.1 here:
.1.nvda-addon

Rui Fontes

Correct!

But if the add-on is translatable, the various communities can translate it and make it available for the respectives communities...

Rui Fontes

NVDA portuguese team

Às 00:53 de 14/04/2020, Joseph Lee escreveu:

Hi,
Clarification on how long this will last: until further notice. So when looking at translatable strings when reviewing add-ons (which technically falls under user experience and documentation portions), be mindful that translation of new add-ons cannot be done for now until further notice. This does not mean add-on authors should ignore feedback on add-on messages - you are encouraged to make messages translatable, it is just that translators won't be able to translate add-on messages for the time being.
Thank you.
Cheers,
Joseph

From: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee via groups.io

Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

One more item in review:

Translatable state:

Rui Fontes

NVDA portuguese team

Hi,
Basic review results:

Comments:

Cheers,
Joseph

Hi Tyler,

Repo:

Download v0.1 here:
.1.nvda-addon

Hi,
In a way, that's an alternative. However this introduces fragmentation, something we don't want to go through again (we went through this before with add-on repos).
Cheers,
Joseph

Sent: Monday, April 13, 2020 5:22 PM

Correct!

But if the add-on is translatable, the various communities can translate it and make it available for the respectives communities...

Rui Fontes

NVDA portuguese team

Às 00:53 de 14/04/2020, Joseph Lee escreveu:
Hi,
Thank you.
Cheers,
Joseph

Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

One more item in review:

Translatable state:

Rui Fontes

NVDA portuguese team

Hi,
Basic review results:

Comments:

Cheers,
Joseph

Hi Tyler,

Repo:

Download v0.1 here:
.1.nvda-addon

Tyler Spivey

Why haven't you moved already?
NV Access doesn't give you access to the server anymore, so your response should be to get a $5 or $10 VPS and set the infrastructure back up there, not just wait for them to do... whatever they're going to do.

On 4/13/2020 4:53 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
Thank you.
Cheers,
Joseph

Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

One more item in review:

Translatable state:

Rui Fontes

NVDA portuguese team

Hi,
Basic review results:

Comments:

Cheers,
Joseph

Hi Tyler,

Repo:

Download v0.1 here:
.1.nvda-addon

Locutor Antonio Cezar

Does this Add-On resolve the error with the nvdaHelperRemote!?... Thank you.

Por favor, assine nossa petição no link abaixo, compartilhe com todos os seus amigos, e colabore com a gente! Em favor do suporte para teclados Braille com digitação multitoque diretamente na tela de dispositivos Android para qualquer leitor de telas, principalmente para o Talkback!

https://secure.avaaz.org/po/petition/Google_Inc_Talkback_Development_Team_Google_Disability_Support_Team_PRECISAMOS_DO_BRAILLE_NO_ANDROID_TAMBEM/

Em 13/04/2020 20:46, Joseph Lee escreveu:

Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

One more item in review:

Translatable state:

Rui Fontes

NVDA portuguese team

Hi,
Basic review results:

Comments:

Cheers,
Joseph

Hi Tyler,

Repo:

Download v0.1 here:
.1.nvda-addon