Topics

New addon: Command Helper

Javi Domínguez

Hi.

I present a new addon. It is something like a virtual menu in which any NVDA command or script can be executed without pressing its corresponding gesture. Explaining how it works may be better understood:

Pressing NVDA + H creates a keyboard command layer with the following options:

* With right and left arrows the category is selected,
* with up and down arrows a command is selected within that category,
* with enter the selected command is executed,
* pressing any key other than the above exits the command layer and the keyboard recovers its normal use.

It is designed thinking in users with mobility difficulties to press complicated key combinations but it can also come in handy for forgetful people like me who forget they. It still has some improvements that I have in mind need to be implemented, but as it is, it can be used. If you want to try it, you can download it from the following link:

https://github.com/javidominguez/commandHelper/releases/download/dev20210110/commandHelper-dev20200110.nvda-addon <https://github.com/javidominguez/commandHelper/releases/download/dev20210110/commandHelper-dev20200110.nvda-addon>;

Greetings

Javi Dominguez

Noelia Ruiz

Hello, this is a very interesting add-on. I'm thinking of people who
may find this very useful.
I'm testing and for now commands and categories are presented in the
menu, but for now I don't have any result after pressing enter.
Greetings

[...]

Hello, Noelia.

When you have selected a category you must press the up or down key to see the commands. In fact enter on a category does nothing, it is on purpose. Maybe it would be better to "focus" the first command on the list? I'll keep it in mind. There are still things that I want to improve, in the code some are indicated as comments.

reetings

Javi

El 10/01/2021 a las 19:21, Noelia Ruiz escribió:
[...]

Hi, I don't get results after selecting a command with down arrow. If
I can review the code and I think about a possible explanation, I may
create an issue on the repo. At least for me it's easier to manage
issues and pull requests to track pending work.
Greetings

[...]

Hello again, I've created an issue on your GitHub repo. I inform you
here in case you don't receive notifications, since I just receive
them when I reply to created issues or pull requests, not when someone
creates a new one, unless I look at this from mobile or opening
github.com from a web browser, but I don't receive this via email.
Thanks

<nrm1977=gmail.com@groups.io>:

[...]

Brian's Mail list account

OK, I know it would make it more verbose but should it not be an idea to have it speak the actual control key as well, then one could use it as a kind of tutorial.I managed to get it to toggle the colour on and off which was one easy test, quite what happens in other parts of nvda, I'm not sure. It mentions multiple keys being pressed, this indeed might be easier for some if a simple select and enter is all that is needed. ;I am running it on the latest alpha in a Windows 7 environment. with no Braille.
Brian.

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk

[...]

William

Hi, thanks for the addon, it is interesting.

This makes me think of the similar function of mac voiceover.

Javi Domínguez 於 11/1/2021 2:03 寫道: