New add-on, speech history explorer.

DaVid

Hi all.

This is a fork of the speech history add-on for NVDA. This add-on adds
some features. Also, The keystrokes were updated because the original
keys could present conflicts with other applications, since very
common keys were used in the original add-on, E.G, f12. I have seen
people asking why their f12 is not working. Many people don't know
what add-ons are installed, I gues they forget it or don't read the
help.
Anyway, the most important feature is the ability to show a dialog
with all the history registered by the add-on.
This add-on Shows a dialog with the current most recent items spoken
by NVDA. You can review, multi-select items and copy the current item
or items selected.

About the Speech history elements dialog.

In this dialog, you will be focused in the most recent item spoken by
NVDA, the most recent item first. You can navigate the items by using
up and down arrow keys. Each element will show just 100 characters,
but you can see the entire contend by pressing tab key in a multiline
text edit field. The dialog with those items won't update with new
items spoken by NVDA. If you want to update the list of items, you
must restart this dialog or press the "refresh history" button.

You can search in the entire elements in the search edit field. Type
some letters or words and then, press enter. The list of items will be
updated according to your search. To clean the search, just clean the
text in the search edit field, and press enter. Also, a search will be
made if you are in the search field, and the field loses the focus.
E.G, by pressing tab or focus another control in some another way.

You can copy the current selected items, by using the copy button.
This will copy all text shown in the field that contains all items
selected.
Also, you can copy all current items with "Copy all" button. This will
copy just the current items shown in the list, each one will be
separated by a newline. If you searched something, then this button
will only copy the items found that are selected.

If you want to select more than one item, use same keys as on windows.
E.G, shift + up and down arrow keys to do contiguous selection,
control + the same keys to do uncontiguous selection.
To close this dialog, press escape or close button.

About the reasigned keys:
Review the most recent items spoken by NVDA: press NVDA + shift + f11
(previous item) or NVDA + shift + f12 (next item).
Copy the last item read by NVDA, or the current reviewed item: NVDA +
control + f12.
Show a dialog with the current most recent items spoken by NVDA: NVDA
+ alt + f12

I am open to suggestions and reporting issues.

The download for the first release is available here:
https://github.com/davidacm/SpeechHistoryExplorer/releases/download/2022.2/speechHistoryExplorer-2022.2.nvda-addon

Cheers,
David CM.

Rui Fontes

Hello David!

I like your add-on!

Two suggestions:

1 - Rename the "Clean history" button to "Clean history and Close", since it don't make much sense to clean all story and keep the add-on dialog open;

2 - When we press the "Refresh history" button the focus should be moved to the history list.

Best regards,

Rui Fontes
NVDA portuguese team

Às 21:50 de 27/07/2022, DaVid escreveu:

[...]

Message edited!

Hello David!

I like your add-on!

One request: please make the add-on translatable.

It already have the notes for translator and the code for getText...

Missing the locale folder and .pot file...

[...]

Manolo

Beautiful evolution of the original addon.

The Close button and the Clean history button have the same shortcut: alt + l.

Yes, I also agree that when you do Clean history the window should close and with the Refresh history button the focus should go to the list.

You could also think of a shortcut to go to the list: alt + e.

👍👍👍

Il 27/07/2022 22:50, DaVid ha scritto:
[...]

Cyrille

Hi David

This fork is a very great news! And the dialog to copy/paste items is a very useful feature. Many thanks.

Here are some feedback:

1. Hotkeys in the speech history dialog
In the list, it would be very handy to implement the usual shortcuts ctrl+C to copy and F5 to refresh; these hotkeys are more easy to execute than the alt+letter shortcuts. the corresponding buttons could remain in the UI in any case as well as their corresponding alt+letter shortcuts.

2. New feature: separator
In the setting panel, you could add a new parameter to customize the separator when multiple items are copied. Today, the separator is a newline. But maybe someone wants 2 or 3 newlines, or a defined pattern to search for it afterwards, e.g. a row of dashes.

3. Do not use stereo beeps
Using a stereo beep (left/right) to indicate that no more item is available in the speech history is not useful. Indeed, when you press NVDA+shift+F12 you know that only the right beep can occur, i.e. no next item. A centered beep would do the job.
Personally, I prefer not to have unneeded stereo since I sometimes use my headset with only one ear to keep the other free.
You could also make it as an optional option, but IMO it's not worth it as explained before.

4. Change the gestures
NVDA+shift+F12 is already used by another add-on (clock) for its layer access key.
What about the following gestures?
- NVDA+ctrl+F11/F12: review previous/next item in speech history
- NVDA+shift+F11: copy current item
- NVDA+alt+F12 (unchanged): open the speech history dialog

5. Reopening the Speech history dialog
Imagine you open the speech history dialog and then alt-Tab to another window. Then if you press NVDA+alt+F12, nothing happens. It would be nice to re-focus this window. I thought that it was implemented in all settings windows of NVDA for recent versions, but it seems that something goes wrong. Also, when the window is refocused, the history should be updated.

6. Translation
Regarding translation, I really hope that you will submit this add-on to the translation framework system (after submission to the comunity website). I had asked it to James Scholes some time ago but unfortunately, he did not do anything for this. I am available to help if needed.
Using the central translation framework system has the following advantages for translators:
- no need to deal with GitHub PRs or communication via e-mail.
- Generation of a .po file for the documentation (automatically merged), which is much more confortable when the translated doc needs to be updated: no need to remember the old commit containing the previous version of the English doc and to make a diff with updated English doc.
- translation monitored on the translation status page.

These are a lot of remarks. I hope you can address it.

Also, do you plan to ask this add-on to be included on the international community website? I hope so.

Many thanks!

Cheers,

Cyrille

DaVid

Thanks all for those suggestions!

I agree with most of them. About the keyboard layot, I received a
problem in the spanish community of NVDA. The current shorcuts are
hard to execute for desktop keyboard users.
So, we're thinking in alternatives for those commands in desktop keyboards.

About the beep left or right, was a suggestion from an user and I
found this useful. But I will add an option to enable or disable it.

I don't have much time these days, so I don't think that I can make
those updates soon.

I will send the add-on to the international community once the major
changes are finished.

Really thank you for the support and the suggestions!

Cheerrs,
David CM.

Cyrille

Hi David

Thanks for your answer.

Here are some additional remarks on the points I have raised in my previous comment:

2. New feature: separato
Thinking to it again, maybe this separator should be defined in the "Speech history items" dialog rather than in the option panel? This would allow to redefine it quickly before copying text for various usages? It's just an idea. Make what you feel best suitable, also according to feedback of other people.

4. Change the gesture
Regarding the gestures, my initial suggestions will not be better for the people who have difficulty with the current gestures. Actually the issue does not arise with desktop layout but with people who do not use capslock as NVDA key; actually, with desktop layout and capslock used as NVDA key, the current gestures are nice. It may be interesting to make other suggestions on this list before implementing it so that you can capture any conflict with other extensions, at least most used ones.

5. Reopening the Speech history dialog
I have submitted a PR in your repo. Hope it is OK.

And at last a new issue:

7. Documentation styling
The old style.css was used for documentation. I have submitted a PR with the newest one, best suited for visually impaired people.

I have made many suggestions. But don't worry, they do not need to be all implemented before submitting the add-on on the community website, e.g. the following ones may be introduced in a future version: 1 (Hotkeys in the speech history dialog), 2 (separator), 3 (configure stereo beeps).
IMO it's better to submit it earlier to the community and then in the translation system so that translators use the central framework as early as possible. At the end, it's less work for them and for you. Again, I can help in this topic if needed.

Many thanks again for this add-on!

Cheers,

Cyrille

On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 03:28 PM, DaVid wrote:
Thanks all for those suggestions!

I agree with most of them. About the keyboard layot, I received a
problem in the spanish community of NVDA. The current shorcuts are
hard to execute for desktop keyboard users.
So, we're thinking in alternatives for those commands in desktop keyboards.

About the beep left or right, was a suggestion from an user and I
found this useful. But I will add an option to enable or disable it.

I don't have much time these days, so I don't think that I can make
those updates soon.

I will send the add-on to the international community once the major
changes are finished.

Really thank you for the support and the suggestions!

Cheerrs,
David CM.

Manolo

Hi, David,

with NVDA 2022.2.1 Speech history Explorer does not work well with shiftt + nvda + f12 / f11.

It does not read the elements.

I disabled all components and it was giving me the same problem.

I tried to do another nvda.ini but it didn't work.

Try to verify.

Molto strano perché con l'ultima alpha-funziona molto bene.

Il 28/07/2022 15:28, DaVid ha scritto:

Thanks all for those suggestions!

I agree with most of them. About the keyboard layot, I received a
problem in the spanish community of NVDA. The current shorcuts are
hard to execute for desktop keyboard users.
So, we're thinking in alternatives for those commands in desktop keyboards.

About the beep left or right, was a suggestion from an user and I
found this useful. But I will add an option to enable or disable it.

I don't have much time these days, so I don't think that I can make
those updates soon.

I will send the add-on to the international community once the major
changes are finished.

Really thank you for the support and the suggestions!

Cheerrs,
David CM.

DaVid

Hi, can you set your NVDA copy in debug log and send the log?
It worked very well for me in that version.
Currently I'm using the 2022.3 beta 3 and works without issues.

Regards,
David CM.

Hi, David,

with NVDA 2022.2.1 Speech history Explorer does not work well with
shiftt + nvda + f12 / f11.

It does not read the elements.

I disabled all components and it was giving me the same problem.

I tried to do another nvda.ini but it didn't work.

Try to verify.

Molto strano perché con l'ultima alpha-funziona molto bene.

Manolo

In the log it does not give any errors.

It is perfectly running.

But it does not work.

Try using the latest nvda stable.

In my opinion the latest stable has bugs, it does not open the user configuration and if it does 1 out of 10.

Il 24/08/2022 22:34, DaVid ha scritto:
Hi, can you set your NVDA copy in debug log and send the log?
It worked very well for me in that version.
Currently I'm using the 2022.3 beta 3 and works without issues.

Regards,
David CM.

Hi, David,

with NVDA 2022.2.1 Speech history Explorer does not work well with
shiftt + nvda + f12 / f11.

It does not read the elements.

I disabled all components and it was giving me the same problem.

I tried to do another nvda.ini but it didn't work.

Try to verify.

Molto strano perché con l'ultima alpha-funziona molto bene.

DaVid

I tried on 2022.2.1 but everything with this add-on works OK.

Thoug my copy of NVDA 2022.2.1 shows the following message, I created
an issue on github:
"NVDA could not start securely."
"NVDA failed to register session tracking. While this instance of NVDA
is running, your desktop will not be secure when Windows is locked.
Restart NVDA?"

This is related with the new security fix, this issue is present on
beta 3 and the alphas too.

If I restart the computer the problem disappears, but if I change
between versions the problem appears again.

Regards,
David CM.

In the log it does not give any errors.

It is perfectly running.

But it does not work.

Try using the latest nvda stable.

In my opinion the latest stable has bugs, it does not open the user
configuration and if it does 1 out of 10.

Manolo

The latest stable gives me problems. hope it is my user configuration.

Il 25/08/2022 00:08, DaVid ha scritto:
[...]

I understand!

There is a problem with Check Input Gestures.

As soon as I clean up all the shortcuts some of them no longer work.

Solved everything!

🙂

Il 25/08/2022 00:33, Manolo via groups.io ha scritto:
[...]

Hi all

By the way, How to submit an add-on to NVDA add-on's community?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cuong

Đặng Mạnh Cường
E-mail: dangmanhcuong@...
Skype: dangmanhcuong
Twitter: ManhCuongTech
Youtube: https://bit.ly/3ivQvFQ

On 7/28/2022 3:50 AM, DaVid wrote:
[...]

Noelia Ruiz

Hello: I"ll reply in a differen thread. This is not related to the add-on.
Cheers

Enviado desde mi iPhone