New add-on: eM Client accessibility ready for review

Tony Malykh

Hello,
eM Client is a popular multiplatform email client. One of its advantages is that it's very fast - it appears to be much faster and more responsive than either Outlook or Thunderbird.
I have been working with developers of eM Client on making it more accessible. They helped me to fix quite a few issues, but at the same time I wrote an add-on with a few scripts to make NVDA like eM Client more.

This add-on adds the following keystrokes:
* Control+arrows in message view to provide table-like navigation.
* NVDA+DownArrow in message view to read the last message in current thread.
* N and P to go to next or previous unread email in conversation view.
* NVDA+X in thread view to expand all messages in current thread.

Also this add-on adds following features:
* Conversation view is recognized as a table with table navigation commands working.
* Much less verbose announcement of conversations in conversations window.

Download:
https://github.com/mltony/nvda-em-client/releases/latest/download/EMClient.nvda-addon
Github page:
https://github.com/mltony/nvda-em-client/
Download eM Client:
https://www.emclient.com/dist/v8.1.973/setup.msi
Request free eM Client license (not required, but without it you'll be un 30-days trial):
https://www.emclient.com/free-license

Happy holidays!
Tony

It appears that when your add-on is enabled, it suppresses things such as if a message is read or not.

Also, when arrowing through menus, I hear "normal" all the time. I'm interested and would like to help you get this into good shape.

[...]

Correction, "normal" being voiced on some menu items isn't due to your add-on.

[...]

So for read messages it is supposed to suppress read flag, as I believe it is redundant. For unread messages however, it should speak "Unread". This is not happnening i your case? Is your NVDA and eM Client both in English?
[...]

Rui Fontes

Hello!

Windows 10, NVDA last Alpha e eM Client in portuguese, and the expression "HasBeenRead is voiced in read messages.

In unread messages is read "Não lido", unread in portuguese...

Other problem is in the dialog to manage coluns, where sometimes the list itens are not read...

Rui Fontes

Às 17:14 de 29/12/2020, Tony Malykh escreveu:

[...]

They are both in English. I will see if it voices "unread" or not. I didn't recall that it did with your add-on.

On 12/29/2020 12:14 PM, Tony Malykh wrote:
[...]

When I arrow through my messages, I do not hear "unread". I'm using the latest alpha.

[...]

Mario Loreti <mario.loreti@...>

I tried to install the client, but I had imported my accounts from Tunderbird and, as I have only Google accounts it seems that those are blocking the app from accessing.

Sorry for the OT: I can regularly use my accounts with Tunderbird, anyone knows how to unblock EmClient from google?

--
Mario

Tony Malykh

Governor,
I am somewhat puzzled as to why this is happening. Could you try table navigation with Control+Alt+arrows in conversations table and let me know whether it reports the unread flag correctly - typically that should be the second column.

Rui,
So matching "Read Status" column is done by string matching, so if your eM Client is in Purtugese, it is expected that it won't work. I made the string translateable, so whenever the add-on is published, it can be translated. Same logic is running in outlook app module BTW so this seems to be standard practice.
> Other problem is in the dialog to manage coluns, where sometimes the list itens are not read...
This add-on by no means fixes all the accessibility problems. There are some issues left on their side that they are still working on.

Mario ,
Try adding your gmail account from scratch. I haven't tried importing from Thunderbird, but just plain adding worked well for me.

--Tony

[...]

I do not see if the message is unread or not. If it helps, I"m using 8.1973.

I am somewhat puzzled as to why this is happening. Could you try table navigation with Control+Alt+arrows in conversations table and let me know whether it reports the unread flag correctly - typically that should be the second column.

Rui,
So matching "Read Status" column is done by string matching, so if your eM Client is in Purtugese, it is expected that it won't work. I made the string translateable, so whenever the add-on is published, it can be translated. Same logic is running in outlook app module BTW so this seems to be standard practice.
> Other problem is in the dialog to manage coluns, where sometimes the list itens are not read...
This add-on by no means fixes all the accessibility problems. There are some issues left on their side that they are still working on.

Mario ,
Try adding your gmail account from scratch. I haven't tried importing from Thunderbird, but just plain adding worked well for me.

--Tony

Correction, "normal" being voiced on some menu items isn't due to your add-on.

eM Client is a popular multiplatform email client. One of its advantages is that it's very fast - it appears to be much faster and more responsive than either Outlook or Thunderbird.
I have been working with developers of eM Client on making it more accessible. They helped me to fix quite a few issues, but at the same time I wrote an add-on with a few scripts to make NVDA like eM Client more.

This add-on adds the following keystrokes:
* Control+arrows in message view to provide table-like navigation.
* NVDA+DownArrow in message view to read the last message in current thread.
* N and P to go to next or previous unread email in conversation view.
* NVDA+X in thread view to expand all messages in current thread.

Also this add-on adds following features:
* Conversation view is recognized as a table with table navigation commands working.
* Much less verbose announcement of conversations in conversations window.

Download:
https://github.com/mltony/nvda-em-client/releases/latest/download/EMClient.nvda-addon
Github page:
https://github.com/mltony/nvda-em-client/
Download eM Client:
https://www.emclient.com/dist/v8.1.973/setup.msi
Request free eM Client license (not required, but without it you'll be un 30-days trial):
https://www.emclient.com/free-license

Happy holidays!
Tony
--
Mario

Tony Malykh

Then most likely you have unread column hidden. My add-on cannot tell whether a message is unread if that column is hidden. Try to make it show up in settings, or restore your view to default to make it show up.
--Tony

I do not see if the message is unread or not. If it helps, I"m using 8.1973.

I am somewhat puzzled as to why this is happening. Could you try table navigation with Control+Alt+arrows in conversations table and let me know whether it reports the unread flag correctly - typically that should be the second column.

Rui,
So matching "Read Status" column is done by string matching, so if your eM Client is in Purtugese, it is expected that it won't work. I made the string translateable, so whenever the add-on is published, it can be translated. Same logic is running in outlook app module BTW so this seems to be standard practice.
> Other problem is in the dialog to manage coluns, where sometimes the list itens are not read...
This add-on by no means fixes all the accessibility problems. There are some issues left on their side that they are still working on.

Mario ,
Try adding your gmail account from scratch. I haven't tried importing from Thunderbird, but just plain adding worked well for me.

--Tony

Correction, "normal" being voiced on some menu items isn't due to your add-on.

eM Client is a popular multiplatform email client. One of its advantages is that it's very fast - it appears to be much faster and more responsive than either Outlook or Thunderbird.
I have been working with developers of eM Client on making it more accessible. They helped me to fix quite a few issues, but at the same time I wrote an add-on with a few scripts to make NVDA like eM Client more.

This add-on adds the following keystrokes:
* Control+arrows in message view to provide table-like navigation.
* NVDA+DownArrow in message view to read the last message in current thread.
* N and P to go to next or previous unread email in conversation view.
* NVDA+X in thread view to expand all messages in current thread.

Also this add-on adds following features:
* Conversation view is recognized as a table with table navigation commands working.
* Much less verbose announcement of conversations in conversations window.

Download:
https://github.com/mltony/nvda-em-client/releases/latest/download/EMClient.nvda-addon
Github page:
https://github.com/mltony/nvda-em-client/
Download eM Client:
https://www.emclient.com/dist/v8.1.973/setup.msi
Request free eM Client license (not required, but without it you'll be un 30-days trial):
https://www.emclient.com/free-license

Happy holidays!
Tony
--
Mario

When add-on is disabled, it reads "unread". I will do what you suggest.

On 12/30/2020 5:02 PM, Tony Malykh wrote:
Then most likely you have unread column hidden. My add-on cannot tell whether a message is unread if that column is hidden. Try to make it show up in settings, or restore your view to default to make it show up.
--Tony

I do not see if the message is unread or not. If it helps, I"m using 8.1973.

I am somewhat puzzled as to why this is happening. Could you try table navigation with Control+Alt+arrows in conversations table and let me know whether it reports the unread flag correctly - typically that should be the second column.

Rui,
So matching "Read Status" column is done by string matching, so if your eM Client is in Purtugese, it is expected that it won't work. I made the string translateable, so whenever the add-on is published, it can be translated. Same logic is running in outlook app module BTW so this seems to be standard practice.
> Other problem is in the dialog to manage coluns, where sometimes the list itens are not read...
This add-on by no means fixes all the accessibility problems. There are some issues left on their side that they are still working on.

Mario ,
Try adding your gmail account from scratch. I haven't tried importing from Thunderbird, but just plain adding worked well for me.

--Tony

Correction, "normal" being voiced on some menu items isn't due to your add-on.

eM Client is a popular multiplatform email client. One of its advantages is that it's very fast - it appears to be much faster and more responsive than either Outlook or Thunderbird.
I have been working with developers of eM Client on making it more accessible. They helped me to fix quite a few issues, but at the same time I wrote an add-on with a few scripts to make NVDA like eM Client more.

This add-on adds the following keystrokes:
* Control+arrows in message view to provide table-like navigation.
* NVDA+DownArrow in message view to read the last message in current thread.
* N and P to go to next or previous unread email in conversation view.
* NVDA+X in thread view to expand all messages in current thread.

Also this add-on adds following features:
* Conversation view is recognized as a table with table navigation commands working.
* Much less verbose announcement of conversations in conversations window.

Download:
https://github.com/mltony/nvda-em-client/releases/latest/download/EMClient.nvda-addon
Github page:
https://github.com/mltony/nvda-em-client/
Download eM Client:
https://www.emclient.com/dist/v8.1.973/setup.msi
Request free eM Client license (not required, but without it you'll be un 30-days trial):
https://www.emclient.com/free-license

Happy holidays!
Tony
--
Mario

How do I reset my views to default?

I do not see if the message is unread or not. If it helps, I"m using 8.1973.

I am somewhat puzzled as to why this is happening. Could you try table navigation with Control+Alt+arrows in conversations table and let me know whether it reports the unread flag correctly - typically that should be the second column.

Rui,
So matching "Read Status" column is done by string matching, so if your eM Client is in Purtugese, it is expected that it won't work. I made the string translateable, so whenever the add-on is published, it can be translated. Same logic is running in outlook app module BTW so this seems to be standard practice.
> Other problem is in the dialog to manage coluns, where sometimes the list itens are not read...
This add-on by no means fixes all the accessibility problems. There are some issues left on their side that they are still working on.

Mario ,
Try adding your gmail account from scratch. I haven't tried importing from Thunderbird, but just plain adding worked well for me.

--Tony

Correction, "normal" being voiced on some menu items isn't due to your add-on.

eM Client is a popular multiplatform email client. One of its advantages is that it's very fast - it appears to be much faster and more responsive than either Outlook or Thunderbird.
I have been working with developers of eM Client on making it more accessible. They helped me to fix quite a few issues, but at the same time I wrote an add-on with a few scripts to make NVDA like eM Client more.

This add-on adds the following keystrokes:
* Control+arrows in message view to provide table-like navigation.
* NVDA+DownArrow in message view to read the last message in current thread.
* N and P to go to next or previous unread email in conversation view.
* NVDA+X in thread view to expand all messages in current thread.

Also this add-on adds following features:
* Conversation view is recognized as a table with table navigation commands working.
* Much less verbose announcement of conversations in conversations window.

Download:
https://github.com/mltony/nvda-em-client/releases/latest/download/EMClient.nvda-addon
Github page:
https://github.com/mltony/nvda-em-client/
Download eM Client:
https://www.emclient.com/dist/v8.1.973/setup.msi
Request free eM Client license (not required, but without it you'll be un 30-days trial):
https://www.emclient.com/free-license

Happy holidays!
Tony
--
Mario

Tony Malykh

Governor,
So you're saying, that without my add-on it says unread True or False, but with my add-on it doesn't say unread even for unread messages. Moreover, you're saying that you could not find unread column with Control+Alt+Arrows commands with add-on enabled.
I think you need to figure out what columns  ar present, because they don't change when you disable/enable my add-on. They are accessible via review cursor, they are right before the table of messages itself. You can also change columns from the main menu, and there's a button there that reverts them to default.
Once you figure out your columns, let me know again whetehr you can find unread column with table navigation commands and what contents are reported in that column for both read and unread messages.