Topics

New add-on Console Toolkit ready for review

Tony Malykh

Hello all,
I present new add-on Console Toolkit. This add-on contains a number of accessibility enhancements for windows console, a.k.a. command prompt. It might be especially handy for SSH users. Some features were previously a part of my Tony's enhancements add-on, but since now I implemented more console-related improvements, I decided to package them  as a separate add-on.
Features:
* Real-time console speech
* Beep on console updates
*Enforce Control+V in consoles
* Command prompt editing
* capturing command output

You can read more about these options on github page, the link is below.

Binary:
https://github.com/mltony/nvda-console-toolkit/releases/latest/download/consoleToolkit.nvda-addon
Github:
https://github.com/mltony/nvda-console-toolkit/

Best regards
--Tony

Oleksandr Gryshchenko

Hi Tony,
Thank you for your add-ons!
I've periodically explore the source code of many add-ons and NVDA itself to better understand its API.
All your add-ons are written very professionally.

I often use Windows command line and ssh for simple linux administration tasks on remote devices.
The Console Toolkit add-on has really made using the terminal more convenient.
I really liked the lack of delays in pronunciation of the messages from the console.
There were also no delays when editing text in the nano editor on the remote linux server.
The add-on fixed the unnecessary verbosity of NVDA when quickly updating the terminal with the output of a large amount of text.
Also quite convenient is the function of editing the typed command and a fancy crackle, which announces the appearance of new text in the terminal.
The add-on also has its own settings panel and a clear and concise ReadMe with a description of all implemented features.

In my opinion, the Console Toolkit add-on meets all the requirements of the community:

* License and copyright: pass
* User experience: pass
* Documentation: pass
* Security: pass

Since this is still in development, let me offer you a few minor improvements to your add-on's code.

In buildVars.py file:
"addon_lastTestedNVDAVersion" : "2019.3.0" change to "2020.4.0".

In the following methods:
SingleLineEditTextDialog.onChar()
MultilineEditTextDialog.onChar()

        keyCode = event.GetKeyCode()
        if event.GetKeyCode() in [10, 13]:
            # 13 means Enter
            # 10 means Control+Enter

Instead of the value 13 you can use the constant wx.WXK_RETURN.
This will allow you not to use additional comments in the code as it will be well readable and understandable.

Similarly, below in the code, you can use the constant wx.WXK_CONTROL_A instead of the value 1:
elif event.GetKeyCode() == 1:
            # Control+A

Also in the add-on code there is an inappropriate construction:
if True:

And below extra pass:
clsList.insert(0, ConsoleControlV)
pass

Thank you again for a useful add-on and good luck!
Oleksandr

Sergio Gómez

Hello,

This shouldn't be in Windows 10 App Essentials? I ask.

Sergio Gómez

(Ocarinista)

(Ocarinist)

[...]

Thanks for review! I fixed all your suggestions and released the first stable version v1.0:

https://github.com/mltony/nvda-console-toolkit/releases/download/v1.0/consoleToolkit-1.0.nvda-addon

On 1/3/2021 4:35 AM, Oleksandr Gryshchenko wrote:
[...]

Tony,

I confirm - the Console Toolkit add-on meets the requirements of the community.

And one more minor remark.
There is one extra file in the packaged version of the add-on.
Most likely it was created by Dropbox.
I thought it got there by accident, but you updated the add-on and this file is remained:

"manifest (Конфликтующая копия с компьютера Tony’s MacBook Air 2019-12-08).ini"

Have a nice week!
Oleksandr

Tony Malykh

Got it - deleted the file. It will no longer be present in the future releases.

On 1/3/2021 2:55 PM, Oleksandr Gryshchenko wrote:
Tony,

I confirm - the Console Toolkit add-on meets the requirements of the community.

And one more minor remark.
There is one extra file in the packaged version of the add-on.
Most likely it was created by Dropbox.
I thought it got there by accident, but you updated the add-on and this file is remained:

"manifest (Конфликтующая копия с компьютера Tony’s MacBook Air 2019-12-08).ini"

Have a nice week!
Oleksandr

Alberto Buffolino

Tony Malykh, il 03/01/2021 23.12, ha scritto:
Thanks for review! I fixed all your suggestions and released the first stable version v1.0:
Alberto:
Hi Tony,
I installed 1.0 version, very interesting features.
If I can give some suggestions, I'd remove "settings" word from add-on panel label in preferences, and I'd like a lot a gesture (even not assigned) for enable/disable real-time reading, that I find useful only in some context.
Alberto