Topics

New add-on Check Input Gestures #addonrelease #reviewrequest

Oleksandr Gryshchenko

Hi friends,

In this group, there were often comments about duplication of input gestures by various NVDA add-ons.
Each of the installed add-ons can make changes to the NVDA configuration by adding or reassigning existing input gestures. If the same input gestures are binded to several functions, it will be impossible to call some of them.
There is also a problem when sometimes add-on functions have no description, and as a result - the input gestures associated with them are not displayed in the corresponding dialog.

I offer you a simple add-on that so far has only two functions:
1. Search for duplicate gestures
2. Gestures without description

After installing this add-on, the corresponding submenu will appear in the Tools menu.
These features are also presented in the Input Gestures dialog, where you can assign shortcuts to them.
You can find more information in the ReadMe document.

Also, the source code of this add-on contains MyPy type hints and was checked by the flake8 linter.
Thanks to the instructions in this group, I started taking the first steps in using GitHub Actions.

Download link here:
https://github.com/grisov/checkGestures/releases/download/latest/checkGestures-1.0.1-dev.nvda-addon

Friends, I'm very grateful to you for comments and suggestions, for translations and attention to my projects!

I'm also gradually updating other add-ons and preparing them for compatibility with Python 3.8.
After the release of the beta version of NVDA 2021.1 and testing of add-ons, I will publish links to their updated versions separately.
The necessary changes have already been made to the Unmute, Volume Adjustment and Quick Dictionary add-ons, but I'm still not sure if there will be other compatibility issues.

I wish everyone good health, be safety!
Oleksandr

ChrisLM

Hi.

Since there are several open and closed issue about duplicated gesturess and it is an unresolved deficiency in NVDA, I consider this project another excellent idea.
See also #3605  and related issues.

Thanks!

Chris.
Oleksandr Gryshchenko ha scritto il 17/03/2021 alle 12:47:

1. Search for duplicate gestures

Oleksandr Gryshchenko

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your feedback and for the link to the issues!

I agree that NVDA should not prohibit a user from assigning duplicated gestures because they are context-sensitive. But it would be good to receive a warning at the stage of choosing a gesture.
I plan to get better acquainted with the implementation of the gesture assignment mechanism in the NVDA Input Gestures dialog and to try to integrate the capabilities of this add-on at this stage.
But the problem is that the add-on can give different results depending on in which window it was called.

All the best!
Oleksandr

Locutor Antonio Cezar

There are add-ons that have specific gestures to work only at a particular active window, and I believe that checkinputgestures should predict this detail when their checks. My gratitude for your great work for the NVDA community... Thank you.

Locutor Antonio Cezar

Em 18/03/2021 07:30, Oleksandr Gryshchenko escreveu:

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your feedback and for the link to the issues!

I agree that NVDA should not prohibit a user from assigning duplicated gestures because they are context-sensitive. But it would be good to receive a warning at the stage of choosing a gesture.
I plan to get better acquainted with the implementation of the gesture assignment mechanism in the NVDA Input Gestures dialog and to try to integrate the capabilities of this add-on at this stage.
But the problem is that the add-on can give different results depending on in which window it was called.

All the best!
Oleksandr

Oleksandr Gryshchenko

Hi Antonio,

Very glad to hear from you again in this group!

As far as I understand, in NVDA input gestures can be bound only to objects like baseObject.ScriptableObject.
And these scriptable objects can be contained at different levels in very different NVDA elements:

* globalPlugins
* appModules
* Braille display driver
* Vision enhancement provider
* Tree interceptor
* NVDAObjects
* globalCommands

Therefore, the context of using certain input gestures can always be very different.

For this reason, the Check Input Gestures add-on tries to detect duplication of gestures only in the most global cases:

* globalCommands
* globalPlugins
* appModules

Not sure yet whether to check appModules objects.
But, perhaps, it's probably worth doing so that the user can detect duplicated gestures for certain applications.

Good luck!
Oleksandr

Locutor Antonio Cezar

Gratitude... Thanks.

Locutor Antonio Cezar

Em 18/03/2021 10:18, Oleksandr Gryshchenko escreveu:

[...]

Ibrahim Hamadeh

Interesting addon really
in some cases, and at sometimes it makes things clearer to us.
thank you for your work.
ibrahim

On 3/17/2021 1:47 PM, Oleksandr Gryshchenko wrote:
[...]

.

Rowen Cary

That's good, thank you.
Hope NVDA can integrate this function.

Mohammadreza Rashad

Hello dear Oleksandr and thanks for your good works and nice add-ons.
I'm using your Volume and Unmute add-ons daily. And this
"CheckGestures" add-on is a great and useful add-on for add-on
developers and for general users like me when assigning gestures for
daily use.
Thanks a lot, be healthy and safe, and keep up your nice work!

--
Best wishes,
Mohammadreza Rashad

Han Solo

Hello!

Another super addon.
Could it check for conflicts at NVDA startup and warn you?

Greetings

W dniu 17.03.2021 o 12:47, Oleksandr Gryshchenko pisze:

[...]

Eilana Benish

Hi Oleksandr

Thank you very much for this add-on

I am using NVDA add-ons and some of them definitely causes duplicate keyboard shortcuts.

You're add on helped me a lot resolving many duplicate keyboard shortcuts

And now I am with 0duplicate keyboard shortcuts.

‫בתאריך יום ד׳, 17 במרץ 2021 ב-13:47 מאת ‪Oleksandr Gryshchenko‬‏ <‪kita.zup+groups@...‬‏>:‬

[...]

ובכבוד רב,

אילנה בניש מורשה נגישות שירות 2200

ייעוץ, ליווי והערכת נגישות ושמישות אינטרנט וטכנולוגיות מידע

טלפון ישיר 📱 +972-50-7100367 | דוא"ל 📧 benish.ilana@...

Oleksandr Gryshchenko

Friends, I am very grateful to you for such wonderful words!
Also thank you very much for the translations.

In the near future, I will add the ability to check for duplicated gestures at NVDA startup.

Have a nice week-end!
Oleksandr