Topics

[mod] Re: [nvda-addons] About suggestions for improvements to the add-on readFeeds, please... Thanks.

James Scholes

If you suspect that this thread will continue for much longer, could I
request that you take it over to the appropriate GitHub repository and
continue it in one or more relevant issues? It has gone beyond 100
messages, mostly from only two people. This group is for community
discussion, not deep dives into add-on behaviour between a single user
and the maintainer.

On 11/10/2020 at 3:47 pm, Locutor Antonio Cezar wrote:
Sorry, Noelia. This new version solved the problem of lack of
descriptions of Google's feeds, but now the ReadFeeds spent no more show
all other descriptions for the other feeds, like Google News, BBC, etc
... If you can take a look at this, I thank you again ... Thanks.

Locutor Antonio Cezar

Em 11/10/2020 17:38, Locutor Antonio Cezar via groups.io escreveu:

Perfect, Noelia. My eternal gratitude to you and to all who dedicate
their time and expertise in the maintenance and development of Add-Ons
for the community of our NVDA... Thanks.

Locutor Antonio Cezar

Em 11/10/2020 17:28, Noelia Ruiz escreveu:
Hello, please test this new version, which fixes the issue with Google
alert feed.
Also, I have changed 3 messages containing "%s.%, since, though
translators wanted to translate them, these messages appeared in
English.

Direct download:

https://github.com/nvdaes/readFeeds/releases/download/10.10-dev/readFeeds-10.10-dev.nvda-addon

<antoniocezarlocutor@...>:
My eternal gratitude to you and to all who dedicate their time and
expertise in developing and maintaining Add-Ons for the community of our
NVDA... Thanks.

Locutor Antonio Cezar

Em 07/10/2020 17:34, Noelia Ruiz escreveu:
Hello, this can be fixed. I will do it in the next weekend.
Thanks

<antoniocezarlocutor@...>:
Perfect, Noelia. It is quite good as well. Now I found a another problem
with Google Alerts Feeds that might be corrected by you for the
ReadFeeds even better. But if it can not be fixed, within the
limitations of the Feeds module you are using Python, I think it also
has no problem. When I open the Google Alerts feeds in HTML, ReadReeds
does not show the description of the items, which is packaged in the
following code:

<content type="html">Feed Item Description...</content>

Here is an example URL of a feed Google Alert for you to consider:

https://www.google.com.br/alerts/feeds/07886329450464237773/1224819087894760312

<https://www.google.com.br/alerts/feeds/07886329450464237773/1224819087894760312>

It is obvious that if you can not fix it, I'll understand. However, as I
can read the Google Alerts feeds without problem on my favorite feed
reader on Android, I thought I should talk about it with you too. My
eternal gratitude to you and to all who dedicate their time and
expertise in developing and maintaining Add-Ons for the community of our
NVDA... Thanks.

Locutor Antonio Cezar

Em 05/10/2020 21:05, Locutor Antonio Cezar via groups.io escreveu:
Perfeito, Noelia. Está muito bom assim. Agora eu encontrei uma outro
problema com o Google Alerts Feeds que talvez possa ser corrigido por
você para que o ReadFeeds seja ainda melhor. Porém, se não puder ser
corrigido, dentro das limitações do módulo de Feeds que você está
usando em Python, penso que também não tem problema. Quando eu abro
the Google Alerts Feeds em HTML, o ReadReeds não mostra a descrição
dos itens, que é empacotada no seguinte código:

<content type="html">Feed Item Description...</content>

Here is an example URL of a feed Google Alert for you to consider:

https://www.google.com.br/alerts/feeds/07886329450464237773/1224819087894760312

<https://www.google.com.br/alerts/feeds/07886329450464237773/1224819087894760312>

It is obvious that if you can not fix it, I'll understand. However, as
I can read the Google Alerts feeds without problem on my favorite feed
reader on Android, I thought I should talk about it with you too. My
eternal gratitude to you and to all who dedicate their time and
expertise in developing and maintaining Add-Ons for the community of
our NVDA... Thanks.

Locutor Antonio Cezar

Em 05/10/2020 16:36, Noelia Ruiz escreveu:
My apologies. This was caused by accidental preserved code, hope fixed
now (at least according to my tests):

https://github.com/nvdaes/readFeeds/releases/download/10.8-dev/readFeeds-10.8-dev.nvda-addon

You can see your name as the person who requested this:

https://github.com/nvdaes/readfeeds/releases

Thanks

<antoniocezarlocutor@...>:
Hello, Noelia. I realized that the ReadFeeds window closes when I
kick
open a list of feeds in HTML and it was not very good as well. I know
can set up a command to re-open the ReadFeeds window, but if I use
this
possibility, ReadFeeds will always open in the first Feed the list.
It
turns out that if the ReadFeeds window was not closed when I got back
her, I would always be the last feed read. The fact of always being
the
last read Feed help when the user follows a reading sequence in the
available feeds list. I hope I have been able to explain the
difference
between these two alternatives: maintaining ReadFeeds window always
open
or close the window when a ReadFeeds HTML is opened. In this case, I
prefer the first alternative because it facilitates follow a sequence
Feeds available. My eternal gratitude to you and to all who dedicate
their time and expertise in developing and maintaining Add-Ons for
the
community of our NVDA... Thanks.

Locutor Antonio Cezar

Em 04/10/2020 17:06, Locutor Antonio Cezar via groups.io escreveu:
Okay, Noelia. It was so perfect. I marked the check box "Search edit
box after list feeds" and now the focus is no longer forced into the
filter field. Thanks for the patience you have shown with my
insistence on this feature. Also my eternal gratitude to you and to
all who dedicate their time and expertise in developing and
maintaining Add-Ons for the community of our NVDA ... Thanks.

Locutor Antonio Cezar

Em 04/10/2020 15:04, Noelia Ruiz escreveu:
Hello, here is readFeeds 10.7-dev.
Changes:

* Added the following checkbox in NVDA's menu, Preferences,
settings,
readFeeds category: Search edit box after feeds list. Not checked
by
default. If you check it, the filter by edit box will be placed
after
the List of articles button, associated visually with the list of
feeds. It's possible to assign a gesture to open the readFeeds
settings dialog, or you can reach it from NVDA's menu, or pressing
button available from the Feeds dialog, before the close button.

https://github.com/nvdaes/readFeeds/releases/download/10.7-dev/readFeeds-10.7-dev.nvda-addon

Review on GitHub at
https://github.com/nvdaes/readFeeds/tree/10.7-dev

<antoniocezarlocutor@...>:
Waiting... Thanks.

Locutor Antonio Cezar

Em 30/09/2020 15:02, Noelia Ruiz escreveu:
I understand both opinions. I prefer that list is focused and
that
the
filter field is placed before the list to reach other buttons
without
tabbing through this edit box. So let me think. In NVDA just the
elements list dialog has the filter field after the elements
list.
This can be also configurable. I will think and make a decission.
Thanks both

Enviado desde mi iPhone

El 30 sept 2020, a las 16:41, Locutor Antonio Cezar
<antoniocezarlocutor@...> escribió:

Hello. For me it is not important the position of the filter
field,
but the fact that the focus be forced to it every time you
return
the ReadFeed window. As the vast majority of users do not use
the
filter field in 99.99% of the time in which it returns to the
ReadFeed window, forcing the focus always for the filter field
is
very troublesome behavior. I hope I have been able to explain to
me
now. My eternal gratitude to all who dedicate their time and
expertise in developing and maintaining Add-Ons for our NVDA...

Locutor Antonio Cezar

Em 30/09/2020 09:45, ChrisLM escreveu:
IMO, the search filter should remain in place before the result
list, as in most applications interface, and like in the
already
mentioned punctuation and symbols dialog or in the input
gestures
dialog of NVDA.

Thanks,

Chris.

Noelia Ruiz ha scritto il 30/09/2020 alle 05:56:

aybe more comfortable or intuitive have the filter edit box
before
the list.
Waiting for your answer. For me there is no problem if you
prefer
have the filter box after the feeds list.
Opinions are welcome.

Locutor Antonio Cezar

IF I can not write here because I maybe just interested in improving Add-On, along with the willingness of the developer, I believe it is possibly better to write in private, not to disrupt the smooth running of the list. I'd just like to know what the community thinks about it, please?!... Thank you.

Locutor Antonio Cezar

<antoniocezarlocutor@...>:
[...]

Hi,

Besides private conversations, I think the best place to talk to add-on authors of technical stuff about a specific add-on would be GitHub.

As the mentioned thread has gone past a hundred or so messages, as the head moderator and list admin, I would like to request that we move onto a more direct forms of communication regarding Read Feeds add-on, or use a different topic name.

<antoniocezarlocutor@...>:
[...]

Noelia Ruiz

Hello, sometimes there are lots of messages about different or the same topic and it is not easy to set some kind of rule about it. Personally I prefer low traffic lists when possible. Sincerely, in the last weeks or months I cannot read properly the mails sent to this list, too much traffic for my time, and I have to be careful trying not to loose and find topics that may require my specific attention like this.
I was thinking about suggest GitHub for better management of issues when possible. The problem is that I didn"t set guidelines for contributing my add-ons or other projects since I love flexibility, but especially if some people feel that this is disturbing this list, let"s go to GitHub. I think that mailing lists are wonderful as a place to talk, but GitHub is easier for me for technical purposes.Thanks

Enviado desde mi iPhone