From: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io>
On Behalf Of Simone Dal Maso
Sent: Monday, December 2, 2019 12:17 AM
To: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io
Subject: [nvda-addons] migrating from python2 to 3

Hello,
just a little question, are there some suggestions or hints for developers
when they start migrate their addons from python2 to python3?
I know the user page where we can check the compatibility status of the
addon, but if I should give a link to a developer, are there some resources?
Thank you very much.

From previous posts, I think the sound refactoring could be a major issue, and this is not directly related to Python 3, but a redevelopment to allow more flexibility with sounds in nvda.
Also of course there is the fact that certain libraries will no longer exist in the distribution of nvda as also mentioned quite recently.
Brian

bglists@...
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

just a little question, are there some suggestions or hints for developers when they start migrate their addons from python2 to python3?
I know the user page where we can check the compatibility status of the addon, but if I should give a link to a developer, are there some resources?
Thank you very much.

derek riemer

for a lot of devs, just updating the compatibility metadata on their addon may make it work.

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 2:22 AM Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
From previous posts, I think the sound refactoring could be a major issue,
and this is not directly related to Python 3, but a redevelopment to allow
more flexibility with sounds in nvda.
 Also of course there is the fact that certain libraries will no longer
exist in the distribution of nvda as also mentioned quite recently.
 Brian

bglists@...
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> just a little question, are there some suggestions or hints for developers
> when they start migrate their addons from python2 to python3?
> I know the user page where we can check the compatibility status of the
> addon, but if I should give a link to a developer, are there some
> resources?
> Thank you very much.

Derek Riemer
•    Accessibility enthusiast.
•    Open source enthusiast.
•    Skier.

This has not been my experience personally, but most of the ones I use have been now tweaked by authors or the simple ones by me. However it would be nice to get Pico working again.
Brian

bglists@...
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

just a little question, are there some suggestions or hints for
developers
when they start migrate their addons from python2 to python3?
I know the user page where we can check the compatibility status of the
addon, but if I should give a link to a developer, are there some
resources?
Thank you very much.

Derek Riemer
Improving the world one byte at a time! ⠠⠊⠍⠏⠗⠕⠧⠬ ⠮ ⠸⠺ ⠐⠕ ⠃⠽⠞⠑ ⠁⠞ ⠁
⠐⠞⠖
• Accessibility enthusiast.
• Proud user of the NVDA screen reader.
• Open source enthusiast.