Topics

kill Nvda: feature suggestion

hamidreza abroshan

Hi,
instead of pressing alt+ctrl+delete and killing nvda, is it possible
to add a shortcut for that?
for instance, when user presses a shortcut the addon automatically
kills nvda or tries to restart the app.
I had an old computer and when Nvda frozen, I could not press any key
E.G, even after going to log on screen nvda remained silent.
best.

--
hamidreza

Tyler Spivey

The reason I can't do this is that NVDA intercepts all the keys that you could use for a shortcut. You don't notice in normal operation because it just lets the keys it doesn't care about through, but when it crashes it sometimes stops doing that.
The only reason you can use Ctrl+Alt+Del is because NVDA can't stop it from working.

If you want this fixed properly, complain to NV Access. That's the only way it seems that this is going to get any recognition at all.

On 10/21/2020 12:00 AM, hamidreza abroshan wrote:
Hi,
instead of pressing alt+ctrl+delete and killing nvda, is it possible
to add a shortcut for that?
for instance, when user presses a shortcut the addon automatically
kills nvda or tries to restart the app.
I had an old computer and when Nvda frozen, I could not press any key
E.G, even after going to log on screen nvda remained silent.
best.

Brian's Mail list account

Now my problem of nvda booting up with speech set to silence seems to be a bit of an issue for some others. Is this the problem you want to solve? If yes all you need is a shortcut to a batch file that reboots nvda and since its not starting at system start it normally comes up talking.

Brian

bglists@...
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

instead of pressing alt+ctrl+delete and killing nvda, is it possible
to add a shortcut for that?
for instance, when user presses a shortcut the addon automatically
kills nvda or tries to restart the app.
I had an old computer and when Nvda frozen, I could not press any key
E.G, even after going to log on screen nvda remained silent.
best.

--
hamidreza

Brian's Mail list account

To be honest, there are seldom crashes that occur so badly as to actually stop the system working at all. It usually gets frozen in stack and although not instant, the keys do get through for the running of a windows short cut and then its fixed by the forced termination.
Brian

bglists@...
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

Thanks all,
writing a simple batch file is a good fix I think.
I don't know why when comes to slow computers, sited users have no
problem and just a little bit slower and Nvda gets frozen sometimes.
for instance, after opening some websites or after opening IDE, nvda
could not speak at all although computer is not hanging and sited
users can work with computer.
Is it possible that Nvda has a bug somewhere?
How can I find and report that?
Is it possible to change Nvda's process priority permanently?
Is it useful?
Can You make Kill nvda add on automatic? E.G, when Nvda frozen for
given amount of time, it will restart Nvda automatically.
best.

On 10/21/20, Brian's Mail list account via groups.io
[...]

Robert Hänggi

For me, NVDA freezes each time Firefox installs an update. So, the
solution is to kill the browser task rather than NVDA.
Robert

On 21/10/2020, hamidreza abroshan <hamidreza.abroshan@...> wrote:
[...]

Quentin Christensen

In such a situation as the original poster suggests, an NVDA keystroke wouldn't work, because if NVDA wasn't responding, then well, it likely wouldn't respond to that either.  The other way of quitting NVDA is from the command line.  Press WINDOWS+R, type nvda -q and enter.  Alternatively, Tyler has created an add-on to kill NVDA.

This seems to be an issue which affects some users but not others.  We do treat NVDA crashes with a very high priority, but it's also important to get information to either be able to replicate the crash, or get enough information from a user about their crash.  Ideally this would include a debug level log and a crash dump.  You can set the log level from the general settings screen.  NVDA keeps the log for the current or most recent instance, and the previous instance of NVDA, as well as crash dumps in the %temp% folder (look for any files starting with NVDA in that folder).

Note that is all fairly general, but if anyone does have a repeatable crash they can get us that info on, please do either create an issue on GitHub or write to info@... with steps / files etc.

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen