Topics

Indent Nav not working in VS code

Brandon Cross

I'm not able to get indent nav to work in vs code, At first I thought it was due to the fact it was set for spaces, but then I tried testing it with spaces in notepad, and it worked fine. Since the built in indent reporting in NVDA works fine, I am sure this is most likely a fixable issue.
I would appreciate this being looked into, and I'm sure others would as well since Visual Studio Code is a great editor. Also, I thought there was a github page for this addon, apologies but I couldn't find it, I was prepared to file an issue on the page.

derek riemer

Hi Brandon:
Unfortunately, making indentnav work in vscode is currently not possible .The reason is because vscode kind of hacks accessibility by shoving the 10 lines around the cursor into an edit field for screen readers. The reason it does this is because vscode uses a code editor which visually fakes a lot of things and renders its own text and does fancy visual syntax highlighting and other things. The cursor doesn't really exist in an edit field if the program is unable to detect accessibility is enabled. Therefore, itt detects whether a screen reader is running, and if it is, it puts accessible code inthe the edit area and watches the edit area so it can update the programs visual layout. It works pretty well in practice, but unfortunately, some features like indentnav won't work. Fortunately, it is probably the case that such an indentnav extension for the editor already exists.
HTH,
Derek

--
Derek Riemer
•    Accessibility enthusiast.

Tony Malykh

Hi Brandon,
I am the author of IndentNav. Indeed it doesn't work in VSCode, this
is a known issue, and Derek already explained why.
Here is the github page:
https://github.com/mltony/nvda-indent-nav/
Read known issues section on this page - there is a link to VSCode
extension that you may try to use instead of IndentNav in VSCode.

Best
Tony

wrote:

I'm not able to get indent nav to work in vs code, At first I thought it
was due to the fact it was set for spaces, but then I tried testing it
with
spaces in notepad, and it worked fine. Since the built in indent
reporting
in NVDA works fine, I am sure this is most likely a fixable issue.
I would appreciate this being looked into, and I'm sure others would as
well since Visual Studio Code is a great editor. Also, I thought there
was
a github page for this addon, apologies but I couldn't find it, I was
prepared to file an issue on the page.

--
Derek Riemer
Improving the world one byte at a time! ⠠⠊⠍⠏⠗⠕⠧⠬ ⠮ ⠸⠺ ⠐⠕ ⠃⠽⠞⠑ ⠁⠞ ⠁
⠐⠞⠖
• Accessibility enthusiast.
• Proud user of the NVDA screen reader.
• Open source enthusiast.