From: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io> On Behalf Of Munawar Bijani
Sent: Sunday, March 22, 2020 11:31 AM
To: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io
Subject: [nvda-addons] Improving the NVDA add-ons repo

IMO the NVDA add-ons repo is really basic and relies a lot on the add-ons being posted to Github. It would be nice if add-on developers could see how many people have downloaded their add-ons to see if people are getting use out of it.

Another great feature to have would be the ability to "like" an add-on, and also comment on them. It'd prevent people from having to make Github accounts to interact with add-on developers.

And, nowadays liking and commenting are part of any good repository (it's one thing that made the Window-Eyes App Central so engaging.) But if you really think about it, as an add-on developer you don't know what people think of your add-on and what features they want unless they either subscribe here and post (and you're on this list) or they go to your Github.

This could also open the door for a "popular add-ons" section in the repo, measured by some mix of likes, comments and number of downloads.

Also having a feedback option right from NVDA would be great. Since
add-on creation has gotten so popular we should really rethink the
add-on model and allow for more community engagement instead of just
hosting a basic website where we post official add-ons vetted by the
reviewers; the repo can be so much more than that. I shouldn't have to
think "Wait...how do I get in touch with Weather+ add-on's creator" for
example. NVDA should make it really simple for me.

Users can also subscribe directly in the repo to certain add-ons and be
notified when an update is pushed to the central repo. Right now, with
the release of Python3 NVDA, many of us who don't check the site
regularly or subscribe to its RSS feed never become aware that an update
is posted, unless the add-on creator has written an updater program into
their add-on like Weather+ did.