Topics

IMPORTANT (milestone in add-on store proposal): add-on files repo will be retired from NVDA Add-ons organization, no later than March 15, 2021

Hello everyone,

About a year ago, the add-ons community received a proposal to create an add-on store hosted by NV Access. Since then, several community members were researching ways to do it, and things are slowly taking shape, one of these being letting NV Access take care of add-on files repo, the backbone of community add-ons website and Add-on Updater add-on.

Currently two add-on files repo exists:

Because NV Access version is set to become the official add-on files repo, on behalf of add-on reviewers, I hereby declare the NVDA Add-ons organization version deprecated, effective February 16, 2021. The old NVDA Add-ons org repo will then be removed no later than March 15, 2021. People wishing to submit add-on updates should create a pull request against NV Access repo; of course new add-ons (either completely new or if you wish to bring your add-ons to the community add-ons website) should go through basic review as always.

Jaffar Sidek

Hi Joseph.  Might I propose also that for NVDA community members who want or need it, because of Connectivity issues for example, these AddOns are bundled into a zip file.  My thinking also is that these are AddOns that might come in handy at a moment we least expect.  Just a thought though.  Cheers!

On 16/2/2021 4:33 am, Joseph Lee wrote:

[...]

Ethin Probst

I would strongly discourage the deletion of the repository. Instead,
archive it. That will make it a read-only repository so that no future
commits are possible so we're at least preserving history. Repository
archival is a very common practice.

On 2/15/21, Jaffar Sidek <jaffar.sidek10@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Joseph.  Might I propose also that for NVDA community members who
want or need it, because of Connectivity issues for example, these
AddOns are bundled into a zip file.  My thinking also is that these are
AddOns that might come in handy at a moment we least expect.  Just a
thought though.  Cheers!

On 16/2/2021 4:33 am, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hello everyone,

About a year ago, the add-ons community received a proposal to create
an add-on store hosted by NV Access. Since then, several community
members were researching ways to do it, and things are slowly taking
shape, one of these being letting NV Access take care of add-on files
repo, the backbone of community add-ons website and Add-on Updater
add-on.

Currently two add-on files repo exists:

* NVDA Add-ons organization:
https://github.com/nvdaaddons/addonfiles
<https://github.com/nvdaaddons/addonfiles>
* NV Access: https://github.com/nvaccess/addonfiles
<https://github.com/nvaccess/addonfiles>

Because NV Access version is set to become the official add-on files
repo, on behalf of add-on reviewers, I hereby declare the NVDA Add-ons
organization version deprecated, effective February 16, 2021. The old
NVDA Add-ons org repo will then be removed no later than March 15,
2021. People wishing to submit add-on updates should create a pull
request against NV Access repo; of course new add-ons (either
completely new or if you wish to bring your add-ons to the community
add-ons website) should go through basic review as always.

Signed,
Ethin D. Probst

Hi,
That's an option provided that the repo readme is edited to point people to NV Access repo for further work.

[...]

Rui Fontes

I agree with that!

Rui Fontes

Às 04:30 de 16/02/2021, Joseph Lee escreveu:

[...]

Reef Turner

Please note: there is instead now an active fork of this repository owned by NV Access, so no history will be lost. Other than acting as a redirect and ensuring old links / bookmarks don't break, I don't see much point in keeping the nvdaAddons repo.

I'd recommend taking action sooner rather than later. We won't be pulling from that repository anymore, so any changes will need a subsequent PR made to nvaccess/nvdaAddons.

Our eventual plan is to deprecate and archive this repository as well, however for now it is needed to update the addon's site.

Reef Turner
Software Developer - NV Access