Topics

Image Describer: add-on is no longer working, potential replacement is Larry Wang's Online Image Describer

Hello all,

No, I’m still out of office, but the following matter is very important for us:

Several members of NVDA users list report that Image Describer add-on from Oliver Edholm is no longer working. One member reported to me privately that Oliver stated on his add-on page (not the community website) that the add-on is not working due to lack of payment. Also, the person who wrote to me privately adds that he tried to contact Oliver a few days ago regarding his add-on with no responses yet.

Please help find answers about this add-on for users. If Oliver says the add-on cannot be resurrected due to circumstances beyond his control, and if others cannot maintain this add-on on behalf of the community due to requiring payment for its upkeep and other matters beyond the community’s control, the add-on will be subject to removal as early as once NVDA 2020.2 is released.

Follow-up: a reviewer reminds me that Larry's Online Image Describer (found under development section on community ad-dons website) would be a suitable alternative. Once that add-on becomes stable, we need to either replace original Image Describer with Larry's version, or remove Image Describer add-on and keep Larry's version (I think the former is much better for everyone).

For Larry: I know the community took a look at your add-on last December. Any updates since then? Are you ready to declare the add-on as stable or need someone to review changes? If you declare the add-on as stable, let us know how you want us to proceed with replacing original Image Describer add-on.

Hello, this is an extremely important feature. I would like to remember that very long time ago I had to uninstall OnlineImageDescriber by Larry Wang, since he didn"t work, probably because the free apis offered stopped working for free, and I wasn"t be able to include Azure apis. I think that Shuban project, with an internal library not needing an online service, is very important and hope this can be achieved successfully.
Cheers

Enviado desde mi iPhone

El 14 jun 2020, a las 22:21, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> escribió:

Hi all,

Follow-up: a reviewer reminds me that Larry's Online Image Describer (found under development section on community ad-dons website) would be a suitable alternative. Once that add-on becomes stable, we need to either replace original Image Describer with Larry's version, or remove Image Describer add-on and keep Larry's version (I think the former is much better for everyone).

For Larry: I know the community took a look at your add-on last December. Any updates since then? Are you ready to declare the add-on as stable or need someone to review changes? If you declare the add-on as stable, let us know how you want us to proceed with replacing original Image Describer add-on.

Shubham Jain

Hello Joseph,

I contacted Oliver over a month ago, seeking some information about his add-on. He replied and said that he was "in a very hectic period due to the coronavirus". This might be the reason he hasn't replied to emails. As for the add-on itself, he did not provide any details about it's status and his intentions to continue supporting it.
Hope this information is helpful.

regards,
Shubham Jain