Topics

I want to upload an add-on (beginner here) #addonrelease #addon-review

Hi,

An important question to settle: I think GPL 2 and 3 are incompatible. If yes, I advise relicensing the add-on as GPL 2 or later, which can cover GPL 3 provided that it is allowed.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io> On Behalf Of ahmed@...
Sent: Monday, November 9, 2020 8:07 AM
To: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io
Subject: [nvda-addons] I want to upload an add-on (beginner here) #addon-review #addonrelease

Hello everyone, I hope everyone is having a fantastic day. I have been developing an add-on for a client of mine. The add-on will be named "Marijke_Los". The project is in python 3.7, the license is under the GPL-3.0 license. I was hoping somebody could review it. Here is the link for the individual directory https://github.com/meniman98/babbage-projects/tree/master/Marijke%20Los

Babbage - Ahmed

Hello, it is under the GNU general public license 3, I think that is the right one?

From: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: maandag 9 november 2020 17:10
Subject: Re: [nvda-addons] I want to upload an add-on (beginner here) #addon-review #addonrelease

Hi,

An important question to settle: I think GPL 2 and 3 are incompatible. If yes, I advise relicensing the add-on as GPL 2 or later, which can cover GPL 3 provided that it is allowed.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io> On Behalf Of ahmed@...
Subject: [nvda-addons] I want to upload an add-on (beginner here) #addon-review #addonrelease

Hello everyone, I hope everyone is having a fantastic day. I have been developing an add-on for a client of mine. The add-on will be named "Marijke_Los". The project is in python 3.7, the license is under the GPL-3.0 license. I was hoping somebody could review it. Here is the link for the individual directory https://github.com/meniman98/babbage-projects/tree/master/Marijke%20Los

Hi,

NVDA is licensed under GNU General Public License 2.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io> On Behalf Of Babbage - Ahmed
Sent: Monday, November 9, 2020 8:14 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda-addons] I want to upload an add-on (beginner here) #addon-review #addonrelease

Hello, it is under the GNU general public license 3, I think that is the right one?

From: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Babbage - Ahmed

Hello, yes I know that. So can I have my add-on reviewed or is there something missing? I’ve added the GNU licensing to it

Sent: maandag 9 november 2020 17:15

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io> On Behalf Of Babbage - Ahmed

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

We (the add-ons community) would like to know a bit more about the add-on, including what is it used for so that folks can keep that in mind when reviewing your add-on.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Monday, November 9, 2020 8:17 AM

Hello, yes I know that. So can I have my add-on reviewed or is there something missing? I’ve added the GNU licensing to it

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Babbage - Ahmed

Hello, is there like a guideline or tutorial on how to upload an add-on? May you please send me some resources online? I’m new to all this. I’m also a beginner programmer

Sent: maandag 9 november 2020 17:24

Hi,

We (the add-ons community) would like to know a bit more about the add-on, including what is it used for so that folks can keep that in mind when reviewing your add-on.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

At the moment add-on uploads are done manually after the basic review passes. We cannot guarantee that it will be the case in the future as NV Access and several contributors are working on changing this process from inside out.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Monday, November 9, 2020 8:29 AM

Hello, is there like a guideline or tutorial on how to upload an add-on? May you please send me some resources online? I’m new to all this. I’m also a beginner programmer

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Babbage - Ahmed

Hello, I’m confused. How do I upload an add-on? I couldn’t find any tutorial about how to do that online

Sent: maandag 9 november 2020 17:39

Hi,

At the moment add-on uploads are done manually after the basic review passes. We cannot guarantee that it will be the case in the future as NV Access and several contributors are working on changing this process from inside out.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

If you are talking about community add-ons website, you can’t upload an add-on yourself. If talking about GitHub, you can do so as part of a tag/release.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Monday, November 9, 2020 8:40 AM

Hello, I’m confused. How do I upload an add-on? I couldn’t find any tutorial about how to do that online

Sent: maandag 9 november 2020 17:39

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Brian's Mail list account

Hi, if I may interject here. There seems to be a basic misunderstanding going on in this thread.
1 I think an add on that does something specific needs.
A post describing what it does and why its needed
2 a place people can download it in the normal add on format
3 a request for review against the criteria in the guidelines on add ons.
One needs to realise that although you may be aware of why it exists, you may not have found that it has bugs, or security issues or has clashes with existing add ons that could adversely affect a user. This is why you need to provide your own link, normally a github one, and make sure people know its a new untested add on. As has been said, the add on system may be changing as at the moment it could easily happen that a new feature built in to nvda itself might render an add on either redundant, or make it fail. Particular attention needs to be paid to what versions of nvda its compatible with and there are guidelines on how to write this information to the manifest file.

I myself do not write add ons, but have been Lurking around these parts since very near the start of NVda and have seen the same questions come up over and over. I was under the impression, though I have not looked lately, that a Wiki was written about a lot of this. probably going into far more detail than I have.
I just wanted to assure you that people are not being difficult, but when you consider the user base of nvda and its good reputation, one has to be very careful when adding any add on to an official list of approved add ons.
Reputation is hard won, and easy to lose, after all.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
Newsgroup monitored: alt.comp.blind-users

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, November 09, 2020 4:29 PM

Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

Hello everyone, I hope everyone is having a fantastic day. I have been developing an add-on for a client of mine. The add-on will be named "Marijke_Los". The project is in python 3.7, the license is under the GPL-3.0 license. I was hoping somebody could review it. Here is the link for the individual directory https://github.com/meniman98/babbage-projects/tree/master/Marijke%20Los