Topics

Help needed in developing an add-on for Discord

Gabriel Pires Bonagio <gabriel.bonagio16@...>

Hello.
I'm trying to get a friend of mine to use Discord more, because I think it is great. And, for audio channels, it is, in fact. But the text messages are pretty disappointing, given that you can only output them via SAPI5.
So here's the deal. I'm taking on the task of developing an add-on which outputs all received messages through NVDA and maybe some kind of keyboard gestures to review them quickly. But I've never dealt with the NVDA's API, and all it's components before, and never had to ask for help before as well.
So far, I managed to get the objects I'm looking for through the various parameters, using both the log and the Python interpreter, but I'm having trouble finding out which events are fired when a new message arrives.
Thus, the points on which I need help are:
  1. How can I find out which events are being fired when a message arrives?
  2. Should I be asking for help here or somewhere else? Is there any documentation regarding events within NVDA?
Also, I should point out that the Discord desktop app is made using Electron. I guess that clears things up a bit.
Any help will be highly appreciated and welcome.
Regards.

--
“All through my life I've had this strange unaccountable feeling that something was going on in the world, something big, even sinister, and no one would tell me what it was."
"No," said the old man, "that's just perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the Universe has that.”

Stefan Moisei

Hi,
See this thread. the situation might have changed, and a proper event might be firing now:
https://nvda-addons.groups.io/g/nvda-addons/topic/identify_fired_events/30139666?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,30139666
 Also, I heard of an app which allows nvda to be seen as a virtual sapi5 synth, allowing it to renddrer the discord messages. I don’t remember the name of the app, though.

[...]

Sorry for the previous message!
Hello everyone!
It's Fantastic Discord, I've been using it lately for Reaper, there's a nice Italian comunity.
A nice thing might be to give feedback on messages; It is very important that there is feedback, both from who is about to post a message, "Jon is typing" and feedback from the message just sent.
Another idea could be to have two shortcuts, one that goes to the previous message and another to the next message.
Thanks to all the NVDA community!