Topics

Golden Cursor 3.8, SystrayList 3.7, important notes about these add-ons #addonrelease

Hi everyone,

Golden Cursor 3.8 and SystrayList 3.7 are now available. These releases ship with latest localization updates. As always, they can be found by checking for updates via Add-on Updater add-on or visiting the community add-ons website.

IMPORTANT: please keep the following in mind:

  1. Last version compatible with old NVDA releases: today’s releases are compatible with old NVDA releases, and they are indeed the last releases to be compatible with them. The next release of these add-ons will require NVDA 2019.3 or later; thus, they will come out shortly after NVDA 2019.3 stable version is released.
  2. Penultimate versions from me: a few months ago I announced to the NVDA add-ons community that I’ll be handing over maintenance of Golden Cursor and SystrayList add-ons to the community, and at least for Golden Cursor, at least one person is willing to maintain it. At the moment I’m maintaining these add-ons on behalf of the community as we lost contact with authors of Golden Cursor.
  3. Development releases will be removed: on October 31, 2019, development versions of these two add-ons will be removed from community add-ons website. Those using Add-on Updater to check for development releases of Golden Cursor and SystrayList are advised to switch to stable channel today (to do so, go to NVDA menu/Preferences/Settings/Add-on Updater, and under “prefer development releases” list, uncheck these two add-ons).

Hi one little issue which needs sorting in either add on updater or nvda itself is what happens when an nvda update and add on update both flag together.
This morning being unaware of the add on update, I was asked to download the latest nvda alpha.
I did this, then instead of the install dialogue I got an add on update prompt, I was so busy deselecting extended winamp, since for some reason it thinks version 1.1 is later than 1.2, that I let it update the two other addone in this thread.
However I'd have expected, after the restart or maybe even before it, that it would have flagged about a downloaded snap and asked if I wanted to use it. It did neither, in fact it vanished as far as nvda was concerned and I had to manually go in and look for an update, whereupon it downloaded it again and then al went well.
I just wondered what the suggested behaviour might be in such situations?
Brian

bglists@...
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

The real issue here I think is telling Add-on Updater to not update Extended
Winamp.

[...]

I guess that is fixed by actually putting the new version of Extended winamp on the website then.

I think he said the new one still works on python 2 though myself I have slightly tweaked the thing to say shuffle on and off and repeat on and of rather than just on and off.
I was just worried that cancelling an update was a bit odd. After all if the winamp update had not been there the same thing happens with the other two in any case.
You mentioned you had lost touch with the author, so does that mean that prompt for a contribution is now invalid in the systray list one?
Brian

bglists@...
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

As for SystrayList's donation request, I'd leave it up to Rui to say
something about it.

[...]

Usually if one pops, I download the addon first then update nvda second.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph Lee" <@joslee>
[...]

.

One thing, the latest extended winamp version as posted on the addons site is 1.1

There are no stable and dev versions posted and that info is probably what nvda requires to update, 1.1 is the official version.

If its not, and 1.2 is stable or if there is a dev and stable channel then that page will need updating.

The updater is reading whatever data is there and 1.1 is the last version it can find according to the web page itself.

Its reading the right data, if its not right, that data needs updating.

[...]

Yes but the nvda update got in first and I only saw the add on update after the download and then it overwrote the install prompt, I assume making for the problem to occur.
Brian

bglists@...
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

That is right, but the author posted a test link on theirs very list only a few days ago for 1.2, which I downloaded manually, and would have expected 1.2 to have not triggered the old version but looking at the old version I see it still has the old manifest file and cannot be downloaded automatically in any case. I think what we have here is a historic problem in that there is no way the current add on updater can deal with an add on that precedes the manifest alterations, since its getting its info from some metadata on the web site which does not contain the advanced info, Its only when it gets around to download and install that it becomes obvious, and that is too late for the prompt. What we probably need is a manual lock out option the first time, then when a new update comes up you are prompted again but otherwise not prompted. For that to work one would need to store something in the settings file.
Brian

bglists@...
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

What I meant to say is something extra in the settings, as obviously it knows other add ons are up to date via a setting stored. It just needs an ignore flag set by user if new version seen has issue number > current.
Brian

bglists@...
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

Rui Fontes

The donations were for Rui Batista...

Even without asking him, I say you can delete that from the add-on...

Rui Fontes

Às 18:29 de 23/10/2019, Joseph Lee escreveu:

Hi,
[...]

I think I said it before, but one way to enforce this is telling Add-on Updater to never check for updates to Extended Winamp (to do so, go to NVDA menu/Preferences/Settings/Add-on Updater, then go to "do not update add-ons" and check Extended Winamp).

[...]

Luke Davis

In such a situation, updating the add-ons should be fine. Just be sure to answer "no" to the "restart NVDA" prompt.

Luke

On Thu, 24 Oct 2019, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:

Yes but the nvda update got in first and I only saw the add on update after the download and then it overwrote the install prompt, I assume making for the problem to occur.
Brian

bglists@...
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
----- Original Message ----- From: "Shaun Everiss" <@smeveriss>

蔡宗豪 Victor Cai

Hi,

  1. Last version compatible with old NVDA releases: today’s releases are compatible with old NVDA releases, and they are indeed the last releases to be compatible with them.

For NVDA 2019.2 and earlier, could we provide a direct link to download golden cursor 3.8?

Victor