Topics

Functionality and Usage of Place Markers Add-on

Bhavya shah

Dear all,

I recently installed the Place Markers add-on and am playing around
with it. The problem is that I don't quite understand what its
features do and in what context to leverage them. I have read the
add-on documentation multiple times, and am grasping something about
searching and something about bookmarks. How is this different from
NVDA's Find dialog and the bookmark feature already available in most
web browsers? Is there an audio tutorial demoing this add-on and
showcasing scenarios in which this add-on may be uniquely helpful? Is
this add-on similar to some functionality in JAWS? (If so, I could
read the JAWS documentation for this feature to gain a basic
understanding.)

I acknowledge that not all add-on authors speak English as their first
language, and I applaud their efforts to make excellent contributions
to the community through their add-ons. However, I think it is worth
thinking about other members of the community, who may be more fluent
in the language, possibly stepping up and rewriting some of the add-on
documentation to improve its clarity.

I would truly appreciate any thoughts and inputs on the above.

Best Regards
Bhavya Shah
Stanford University | Class of 2024
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@gmail.com

Hi

I have never tried this add-on, but I thought the documentation, while it could be better, was clear enough about its basic function.

It places bookmarks in text.

I think the difficulty lies in that you don't understand what is meant by bookmarks. They are not browser bookmarks, they are text bookmarks.

Let us take an example.

Go to some web page with a lot of content. For example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetohydrodynamic_drive

There is a lot of text on that page, as with any physics page.

From the top of the page (control+home), press the following sequence:
h, h, l, l, comma. (The latter being an actual comma, to take you to the end of the list).

That will put you on this text:

"As induction MHD accelerators are electrodeless, they do not exhibit the common issues related to conduction systems"

Since you are on that text, press Control+shift+NVDA+k. That will create a bookmark.

Now, return to the top of the document, press the down arrow about 10 times, and start reading a little about MHDs. When you get sick of that, unless you don't--it's quite interesting, for certain values of interesting--press NVDA+k.

When you do, you will be right back at the text "As induction MHD accelerators are electrodeless, they do not exhibit the common issues related to conduction systems"

The add-on bookmarks a particular location in the text you are reading, in the current document or window, and brings you back to it. It can do that for many different text locations, which is probably great for reading long legal documents and such.

It also has saved search functionality, for when the bookmarking fails for some reason. That's one part of the docs i didn't understand perfectly, although I got the basic idea.

Hope this helps.

Luke

On Sat, 13 Feb 2021, Bhavya shah wrote:

[...]

Hello, thanks Bhavya and Luke.
This is perfectly explained by Luke. I'm sure that the documentation
can be improved. As always, pull requests and suggestions are very
appreciated. Also, tutorials in different languages maybe posted in
the wiki of the repo if needed.
About the search feature, one difference with NVDA's search
functionality is that, like when using bookmarks, we can save and use
different sets of text to search and also different bookmarks
deppending on the title of the document. Also, the search feature of
the add-on should work for multiline documents, even when we cannot
use browse mode.
Another feature related to bookmarks is that we can associate a
multiline note with each bookmark. For example, in the example about
Wikipedia, we may add our own comment and we can review all bookmarks
and notes created for a document by pressing NVDA+alt+k, and we can
press enter to move to the respective bookmark, as an alternative to
NVDA+k. We can also assign a gesture to save a temporary bookmark.
This was requested and maybe useful if we don't want to create lots of
bookmark and wish to higlight just a very important location of a
document.
Thanks

Hi

I have never tried this add-on, but I thought the documentation, while it
could
be better, was clear enough about its basic function.

It places bookmarks in text.

I think the difficulty lies in that you don't understand what is meant by
bookmarks. They are not browser bookmarks, they are text bookmarks.

Let us take an example.

Go to some web page with a lot of content. For example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetohydrodynamic_drive

There is a lot of text on that page, as with any physics page.

From the top of the page (control+home), press the following sequence:
[...]

Thanks.