Topics

Feature Request for NotepadPlusPlus Add-on

Luke Davis

Hello to any developers of the Notepad++ add-on. (I know Derek and Robert, at least, are on this list.)

I wanted to suggest the following feature:

NPP has the ability to collapse and expand text, based on code styling.

For example, pressing Control+Alt+F while on the line of a Python method declaration, will collapse the code below it. Pressing Control+Alt+Shift+F will expand the function.
It of course also works with other indentation blocks of any kind, such as if statements or classes.

There is, however, no indication that I could find to let the user know that there is some collapsed text below the current line, although I imagine that there is some kind of visual indication of collapsedness, that we just can't access.

Since this feature has obvious utility when programming, it would be very nice to have some kind of indicator. Maybe an earcon?
If an earcon is a possibility, please make sure it does not interfere with NVDA's indent beeps.
I would be happy to come up with an earcon that works, if someone could implement the feature.

A secondary feature to this, would be a sound and counter-sound, like the completion indicators, for collapsing and expanding things. Not as important as knowing something is collapsed, by far, but still potentially useful.

Thanks for any consideration, and thanks for this excellent add-on!

Luke

Tony Malykh

Not quite what you're looking for, but I still want to mention my IndentNav add-on. It allows you to skip over blocks of code by the indentation level. So instead of collapsing bodies of functions, you can now navigate between function declaration lines without collapsing the bodies, assuming that they are in a properly indented file, that is they are on the same indentation level - you can do so by pressing NVDA+Alt+Up/Down. Again, not what you're looking for, but it solves the same problem in a different way.

On 9/8/2020 10:48 PM, Luke Davis wrote:
[...]

Robert Hänggi

Hm, interesting idea.
I can't tell about visual things and such.
It might be possible that the collapsed state can directly be queried
through the Scintilla API.
Robert

On 11/09/2020, Tony Malykh <anton.malykh@...> wrote:
[...]

William Wong

Hello, just curious,

what are the situations that indantnav is not helpful but you need to collapse a block of script?

Luke Davis 於 9/9/2020 13:48 寫道:

On 12/09/2020, William Wong <@WaiWilliam> wrote:
Hello, just curious,

what are the situations that indantnav is not helpful but you need to
collapse a block of script?
One add-on instead of two, no additional keystrokes you have to
remember or even clash with others.
You can simply navigate with cursor keys and skip over collapsed sections.
You can also collapse a section and make it thus copiable as a single
line without painstakingly selecting line for line in the block.
You might also want to use find and replace and thereby ignoring
indent levels which were collapsed previously with alt+number.

No workflow is better than the other, just different.
Robert

Luke Davis 於 9/9/2020 13:48 寫道:

[...]

IndentNav has functionality for selecting blocks of indented text: see keystrokes NVDA+Control+I and NVDA+Alt+I.

On 12/09/2020, Tony Malykh <anton.malykh@...> wrote:
IndentNav has functionality for selecting blocks of indented text: see
keystrokes NVDA+Control+I and NVDA+Alt+I.
Yes, another pair of shortcuts that have additionally to be learnt.
Of course, it's useful for different applications and consistent definition.
Robert

[...]

Hi Tony,

Quick question: what is the relationship between IndentNav and BrowserNav? I use BrowserNav a lot to jump between e.g. comment blocks on Hacker News and Reddit, and it looks like IndentNav can be used to accomplish the same thing. I ask because they seem to use the same keystrokes.

On 12/09/2020 at 8:14 am, Tony Malykh wrote:
[...]

In Notepad++ you need to learn new shortcuts as well - to collapse/expand sections of code. I feel you're trying to imply that having to learn new shortcuts is somehow a disadvantage of IndentNav.

On 9/12/2020 8:59 AM, Robert Hänggi wrote:
[...]

Yes, BrowserNav works in browsers, butIndentNav works in text editors. IndentNav is more for developers who need to work with indented source code. Conceptually, the functionality is pretty similar, although implementation is very different. Initially they were one add-on, but I decided to split them up  into two separate add-ons because of that difference.

On 9/12/2020 10:20 AM, James Scholes wrote:
[...]

I don't want to imply anything.
I'm simply running out of NVDA key combinations.
I've said that neither workflow is better or worse than the other, it
is a matter of personal preference.
I'm for instance not a fan of global plug-ins in general because they
often use shortcuts that interfere with a specific application.
Anyway, the proposal was originally to indicate collapsed blocks and
that's probably a good idea since this could also have happened by
accident or the document was saved that way by another person etc.

Robert

On 13/09/2020, Tony Malykh <anton.malykh@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Tony

I was aware of indent nav, although I only used it for a little while last year before deciding I didn't run into that use case often enough to keep it. I may try it for this, and I thank you for pointing it out.

However, all of the reasons Robert gave, are the same I have for thinking the functionality in NPP should be more fully accessible if possible--it's a very well integrated feature, and every time you introduce an add-on it adds a new layer where things can clash or interact in some unexpected way.

Normally I would just do it, because there was no alternative, but the NPP add-on and NPP itself does this so well already, that a few moderate improvements would probably make the feature fully accessible.

Luke