Topics

Extended Winamp: disable messages like "pause"

Munawar Bijani

Hi,

I find it rather annoying when NVDA says "pause" and "unpause" and other unnecessary feedback with the Extended Winamp module.

A suggestion here is to allow the user to toggle these messages on and off. This will be particularly helpful for me since I need to turn up the volume sometimes for low-volume audio files and don't like it when NVDA blares "pause!" in my ear.

For now I've commented out these lines in the add-on but native support for it would be nice.

Damien Garwood

Hi Munawar,
You raise an interesting point. That was a modification I made to an existing addon where I first started learning about Python and writing NVDA addons.
After that I made a few addons of my own, and then my confidence took a huge plunge when I didn't know how to fix a few major bugs, and I pretty much abandoned programming for a while (there's nothing worse than not knowing how to do something essential and then consequently feeling like the most stupid human on earth).
Having said that, I've had a nice long break now, and my optimism has returned. So maybe now's as good a time as any to pick myself up, dust myself off, and start again small. After all, I guess even the best of us have falls at times.
So unless someone beats me to it (it'll take me longer than some of the experts on here, as I still feel very much like a beginner with both Python and NVDA code), I'll look at implementing those options.
Cheers,
Damien.

On 22/03/2020 12:56 pm, Munawar Bijani wrote:
Hi,
I find it rather annoying when NVDA says "pause" and "unpause" and other unnecessary feedback with the Extended Winamp module.
A suggestion here is to allow the user to toggle these messages on and off. This will be particularly helpful for me since I need to turn up the volume sometimes for low-volume audio files and don't like it when NVDA blares "pause!" in my ear.
For now I've commented out these lines in the add-on but native support for it would be nice.

Munawar Bijani

Sounds good! Don't worry, we've all been there re: feeling like tackling major bugs which should be simple is taking too long.

A good place to start with this is looking into NVDA GUIs with WXPython. In my add-on, I use the json module to save and load settings. That will let you persist settings across NVDA restarts.

On 3/22/2020 9:27 AM, Damien Garwood wrote:
[...]

To be honest, I might just end up using a hotkey toggle (although it's getting harder and harder to find keys that don't conflict with anything). Any attempts on my part to design a GUI would probably look (not to mention act) like a huge unmanageable mess of tangled up wires or something.
Cheers,
Damien.

On 22/03/2020 02:35 pm, Munawar Bijani wrote:
[...]

Roger Stewart

Personally, I like having the keys speak but then I use a separate speaker for my speech and another sound card for playing audio so I don't get blasted if I need to turn up the playback.  However, I can see that some might not want this so guess the option to have then speak or not would be good if it can be done.
Roger

On 3/22/2020 10:28 AM, Damien Garwood wrote:
[...]

James Scholes

NVDA includes helpers to enable you to make a passable settings panel.

On 22/03/2020 at 9:28 am, Damien Garwood wrote:
[...]

Haha. Yeah I'd avoid assigning new hotkeys if you can. I wonder if in a future release of NVDA we can have it query the add-ons repository when you package your add-on to see if your key is already taken by an add-on in the repo. It'd be simple enough to do I think.

On 3/22/2020 11:28 AM, Damien Garwood wrote:
[...]

Actually, factor in gestures assigned by translators for various languages, and you can see why it's a bit more complicated. One way is making Input Gestures dialog smarter by checking for duplicate commands.

[...]

I don't care for this stuff.

Shuffle or repeat toggles maybe but play pause and stop, I have lived with these not speaking for ages and well they speak.

I don't mind the volume and eq stuff, or pan controls or repeat or shuffle but play pause stop forward and back are not needed usually anyway.

On 23/03/2020 5:01 am, Roger Stewart wrote:
[...]

.

Munawar Bijani

Hi,
Do you have a github repository for the add on? I can make a pull request when I get time and help you implement these options.

On Mar 22, 2020, at 11:28 AM, Damien Garwood <@blunderdayme> wrote:

[...]

I do, but that was last modified on 20th May 2017, so it's very old, and at the moment I don't trust myself to update my git copy to the new Python 3 spec, for fear of breaking something spectacularly.
My GitHub repo was actually a fork from a version on Bitbucket, which now no longer exists. So to be honest, I've no idea where the official repo lives now.
If you feel generous enough to port my version to the new Python 3 and PR that across, then you have my full support and appreciation. Of course, some very kind person has already done the code, but I'm not sure how to port all the translation and building system over.
My version of the repo lives at:
https://github.com/damien-garwood/NVDAAddon-Winamp
Cheers,
Damien.