Topics

Extended Winamp and others with no recent author presence: emergency Python 3 compatibility releases to go out this week, community maintenance

Hi al,

Important notice for users of Extended Winamp and other add-ons where we lost touch with add-on authors recently: starting today, updated versions of these add-ons will be released, all of them being emergency releases to make them work with future NVDA releases (in this case, Python 3 and beyond). We will try our best to release versions that are known to be compatible with old and new NVDA releases in order to ensure smooth transition.

Also, I advise community maintenance of at least Extended Winamp – I expect more add-ons to join community maintenance, seeing that we haven’t heard from authors in a while, especially at this very sensitive moment where the biggest concern is making sure add-ons circulating around NVDA community are ready for the future.

Thanks.

P.S. I’ll find Extended Winamp from the archive – I’ll post Beqa’s version since it was tested by several and found to be working.

And now, prepare your NVDA installations for Extended Winamp 1.2 – compatible with NVDA 2019.2 and later (including Python 3 version). Please thank Beqa for his work on Python 3 modifications.

[...]

I think that when NVDA 2019.-3 is released, not compatible add-ons, including OCR if NV Access does not update it, should be removed from the stable section. Some people of my (our) spanish mailing list seems to be interested in reportPasswords addon,  so I will update my add-on, which included an option to configure the reporting of passwords, and in case Tyler cannot maintain his speakPasswords add-ons, I will request basic review when betas of NVDA are released, in case someone is interested to post it on the website. Cheers

Enviado desde mi iPhone

El 25 nov 2019, a las 19:38, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> escribió:

Hi,

[...]

Agreed – thoughts from the community are appreciated.

[...]

The last time we had this conversation (August?) I remember that I and others thought we should have a legacy stable section for such add-ons. I still think so.

Luke

On Mon, 25 Nov 2019, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,
Agreed – thoughts from the community are appreciated.

Well a page of the remaining add ons which do not work with the latest version, IE legacy add ons is probably the way to go. The big problem I see are those who are in work with add ons that work now, suddenly finding issues with nvdas add ons. Not sure how one can get this sorted as I'd suspect a system admin would do the nvda update on a corporate system and not realise that they might be making the combination not work any more.
One assumes that the installation will still flag up incompatible add ons and one would hope the person doing the update would at that point pull out of the update and reinstate the original and talk to both nvaccess and the user about how to proceed.
Brian

bglists@...
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Agreed – thoughts from the community are appreciated.

I think that when NVDA 2019.-3 is released, not compatible add-ons, including OCR if NV Access does not update it, should be removed from the stable section. Some people of my (our) spanish mailing list seems to be interested in reportPasswords addon, so I will update my add-on, which included an option to configure the reporting of passwords, and in case Tyler cannot maintain his speakPasswords add-ons, I will request basic review when betas of NVDA are released, in case someone is interested to post it on the website. Cheers

Enviado desde mi iPhone

El 25 nov 2019, a las 19:38, Joseph Lee <@joslee <mailto:@joslee> > escribió:

Hi,

[...]

If you are talking about a legacy mode, either nvda needs to be able to run legacy addons however without any new features or a legacy nvda version for the addons.

Bar those like win10 apps and a few others, the last xp version 2017.3 could be used as a legacy version if version is what you want.

What would be the issue of including legacy functions in new nvda with the stipulation, that while legacy addons will be able to run for what they were designed for that they could be limited.

I see no issue with legacy application supports like the jgt or other program spaciffic addons like teamtalk though it would be nice if this was updated.

Now saying that, there would have to be a few limits.

1.  no global plugins at all.

No keyboard shortcuts that are extra, in short nothing at all that could conflict with nvda's shortcuts it may use for things.

It would have to primarily be for access.

It would be nice if things like jgt were modified, but also interactive fiction interpriters.

Saying that, that module, the ifinterpriters has been about for ages and its been stable.

I do wander what the problem of including this support in nvda itself could be done.

Also any addon which you know is unlikely to need to be changed should be conciddered for core use.

Most game runners probably will not change that much if ever.

As long as teamtalk has classic mode and it doesn't seem to be changing any time soon, I see no reason teamtalk couldn't be native.

The only reason an addon shouldn't be included for an application is if you know that app may become depricated or change.

Winamp may change at some point for example.

Note, I am not asking huge things like globals here, or synths, just application supports mainly.

It may be a no go, still for things which have remained constant for a long time maybe its about time we at least look at it.

Of course if we still do, we need to find the status of application x what it all does and weather it can be done.

Saying that, and while I fully understand we need compatability for some things, maybe we should take a slightly lesser look at it with programs which only support a single app or group of apps or translations for a language for a certain group of apps like jgt does.

In that situation as long as none of these addons effect system functions which is what we are trying to protect I'd be happy for application addons to not need as rigerous compatability if all they do is support a spaciffic app or groups of apps or something like it.

I know I have tried this a couple times and recieved arguments against and fair enough.

However this close to the release though late in the peace I am going to try again.

Am I on the right track or do we need something different.

The only thing if it is just libraries, legacy libraries could be used for legacy stuff, but when you run a legacy addon be told that while it will probably work for what it is designed for, it won't be updated or supported bar standard support.

Either solution is not without its risks, but I think we need to address this sooner or later or at least think about what we do.

This is my thought right now, but maybe others have ideas.

The other 2 options would be running old nvda for some stuff and new nvda for other things like running a vm with xp in it for xp things but for general use it may be clunky as hell.

You could have some emulator for classic apps and older addons to.

The only solution I can see right now would be that you made a version of nvda 2019.2.1 maybe have a version that never updates.

Now sadly there would be a few issues.

1.  for those addons that had been updated to window over 1909 or some other things, especially with converted addons you couldn't run converted addons.

So no addon updates to anything classic, etc and no use of modern addons in the older version.

Eventually as addons went over this version could be retired or simply left, however its a bit clunky to so well there you go.

On Tue, 26 Nov 2019, Shaun Everiss wrote:

If you are talking about a legacy mode, either nvda needs to be able to run
Nobody is talking about a legacy mode.
It can't, and it won't. We're talking about the website. The add-ons website: whether to leave add-ons that are stable now, but become non-functional under 2019.3, in the stable section of the website; or whether to maybe move them to a "legacy stable" section or similar.

legacy addons however without any new features or a legacy nvda version for the addons.
Yes, a legacy version. People can run whatever old version of NVDA they want, in order to support whatever add-ons they want. That is not new, and doesn't require any new behavior in NVDA. If you find your special add-on that hasn't been updated requires 2019.2.1, run that. Maybe as portable, just for that specific application.

What would be the issue of including legacy functions in new nvda with the stipulation, that while legacy addons will be able to run for what they were designed for that they could be limited.
What you are asking does not really compute. Including "legacy functions" in NVDA core, in order to use older add-ons, would mean effectively running two different NVDA versions in one container. It really can't be done. Many things have changed in new NVDA (2019.3). An old add-on simply doesn't know how to talk to many of the deep parts of NVDA.
Including code to make them think they are running in an older version of NVDA, is not practical in any kind of way. Additionally, NVDA would have to know the way those add-ons need to receive information, and adapt to them.
What you are asking for is far beyond reasonably possible.
It would be much much easier to hire a team of coders to update all of the add-ons that haven't been updated to work with 2019.3.

I see no issue with legacy application supports like the jgt or other program spaciffic addons like teamtalk though it would be nice if this was updated.
There is no "issue" as far as wanting to support them, but there is an issue of it being technically possible for those old add-ons to continue working with NVDA.
You can't just turn on some compatibility flag, and suddenly have Python 3 behave like Python 2, all the old code that has been removed suddenly come back and work again, and so on.

Computers change over time. Programs and interfaces change over time. NVDA either has to change along with everything else, or its useful life comes to an end. And older add-ons either have to change to continue working hand in hand with NVDA, or they too, will be left behind.

The minimum we can do, is tell people where to find them, and which NVDA version they worked with last. That is what this conversation is about.
The maximum we could do, is rewrite them to work with modern NVDA.
In no case can we make NVDA have some legacy mode, where it "acts" like an older NVDA in order for some old add-on to work.

Now, the add-on itself can try to figure out which NVDA its running in, and adapt itself accordingly, but that isn't what we're talking about here.

It would be nice if things like jgt were modified, but also interactive fiction interpriters.
Saying that, that module, the ifinterpriters has been about for ages and its been stable.
And it's about to become very much unstable. Until somebody updates it to work with a modern version of NVDA, people who need it will have to stick with NVDA 2019.2.1.
You can include it in 2019.3 as an add-on, and it will fail. You can try to insert its "stable" code directly into NVDA core, and NVDA as a whole will fail.
"Stable" does not mean what you seem to think it means.

Stable only means, that the stable thing works, for now, and isn't showing its age. Stable in the context of that add-on, the way you are using it, actually means "more and more out of date and ready to break at any moment".
Stable, in the sense of not receiving updates, does not mean good. In fact, it means bad.

The word you actually mean when you say stable, I think, is "unchanging". But unchanging, not receiving updates, for software that depends on other software (NVDA) in order to work, is actually the worst possible state of affairs, and is very un-stable.

Stable, meaning unchanging--stuck in the past, is not good for an add-on. It means that its time of failure is guaranteed to be on the way, and gets much closer with every tiny NVDA update.

A goofy example of what you are saying is: A life form (add-on) evolves to breath a methane atmosphere. It gets very good at living there, and over millions of years becomes stable. Then some comets full of water and algae crash and the atmosphere undergoes a conversion to oxygen-nitrogen. Your argument with these add-ons, is that because the organism is stable in its breathing methane ways, it should be able to survive in the oxygen-nitrogen atmosphere. But in reality that doesn't happen, because the stable--unevolving organism--doesn't bother learning how to metabolize oxygen. As the air changes, it dies. And that's what's happening to these older add-ons. Unless they evolve to survive in the new software atmosphere, they will die, except for the rare cases where a scientist keeps one in a sealed ecosystem which is specifically designed to work with the organism. In this case, that means running the old add-on in an old NVDA.

Also any addon which you know is unlikely to need to be changed should be
conciddered for core use.
That's what I'm trying to explain. They all, every single add-on, are not only likely to need to be changed, but absolutely, definitely, without a doubt, have to be changed, and with some degree of regularity.

Most game runners probably will not change that much if ever. As long as teamtalk has classic mode and it doesn't seem to be changing any time soon
None of that matters. It's the add-on that has to change, and the add-on that isn't changing.
Windows does change. NVDA does change. As a result, the code needed to support that software, needs to change to keep up with them.
And that means that there needs to be someone, with programming experience and interest enough, to make those changes.
If you include code that is never updated in a huge and complex piece of software like NVDA, eventually it will break NVDA, or cause mystery problems that are hard to track down, at the very least.

If something gets included in core, then the NVDA developers have to commit to maintain it. Maintain doesn't just mean that they look and say "yup, the application still works the same way". They have to make sure the software (add-on, or core app-module) still supports that application, with all of the constant change going on around it in Windows and NVDA as a whole. For that to be justified, the application supported has to be of interest to more than just a few people.

In that situation as long as none of these addons effect system functions which is what we are trying to protect I'd be happy for application addons to not need as rigerous compatability if all they do is support a spaciffic app or groups of apps or something like it.
How do you think those add-ons do what they do? By using "system functions". They use NVDA functions to tell NVDA what to say to the user, to read keyboard input, to read the screen, etc. They completely rely on system and other functions outside their control, in order to be useful. As soon as the add-on's idea of how a function works, differs from the new way that function actually works, everything falls apart.

Compatibility isn't "something nice to have", that we can ignore when it becomes inconvenient. It is something we have to have in order for the add-on to do anything other than take up space on disk.

A Ford Model T transmission is not compatible with a 2019 Ford Focus. They can both drive on the same unchanging road, and so the application the transmission supports hasn't changed. But nobody in his right mind would suggest that we just forgo rigorous compatibility, and stuff that Model T transmission in the Ford Focus because it's the only transmission we have at the moment. Either you build a new transmission to work with a Focus, or rebuild the old one to some how fit in the Focus, or you get content with driving a Model T, where that transmission actually works.

Luke
P.S. And if anyone who knows more about cars or planetary science than I do finds those examples ridiculous, well then I don't blame you, LOL.

Noelia Ruiz

Hi, not sure. What about moving add-ons just to the development
section of the website without creating a new one?
Maybe simpler than creating a new section which may give a lot of
importance to add-ons not updated by authors.. I'm not against, just
thinking about not making the website more tricky or less usable.
Comments are appreciated.
For my part, when I leave the maintanance of teamViewer due to lack of
feedback, especially visual, and cause this was mostly replaced in my
job, where we use other programs, I moved it to the development
section. And in thecase of vitalSource, when it was included in NVDA's
core, I removed it completely and saved it on my GitHub account to
preserve and remember especially the work of translators.
Comments are appreciated.
Cheers.

Author: Debug Helper NVDA add-on
(https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/debugHelper.en.html)

Lukasz Golonka

Hello,

On Tue, 26 Nov 2019 16:50:25 +0100
"Noelia Ruiz" <nrm1977@...> wrote:

Hi, not sure. What about moving add-ons just to the development
section of the website without creating a new one?
Maybe simpler than creating a new section which may give a lot of
importance to add-ons not updated by authors.

While your proposal would eliminate work required to create and
maintain a new section I do not think that it is very user friendly.

When I hear 'development section' my first thought is the section for
add-ons which are not stable enough to bbe used, but are going to be in
the future, because there are being worked on by their authors.
The add-ons which we are discussing at the moment however, are nor
unstable (they are simply not working with 2019.3) nor under active
development (if they would be they would not be discussed in this
context).

In my view separate section is needed,

--
Regards
Lukasz

Rui Fontes

I agree 100%!

Rui Fontes

"Noelia Ruiz" <nrm1977@...> wrote:

[...]

If we can create a way to tag add-ons as "legacy", then we can move legacy add-ons to a dedicated section once NVDA 2019.3 stable version comes out.

"Noelia Ruiz" <nrm1977@...> wrote:

[...]

OK, this seems reasonable for me. I'm flexible about this and in
general regarding on how structuring or ordering thinks. No problem
for me. In this case, when the section is created, I will move
teamViewer there, in case someone wants to work on the add-on, instead
of removing it completely.

"Noelia Ruiz" <nrm1977@...> wrote:

[...]

derek riemer

Hi:
This is easy enough to create.
Create a legacy.mdwn with the following text, and put it under website/.

[[!meta title="Historic addons that do not work"]]

Attention! These addons do not work! # please update this to stick out.
This page lists addons that are no longer under development, and do not work with NVDA. developers who are interested in making these addons compatible with NVDA should do so, and email the NVDA addons list to get the addon transferred to them.

[[!inline  pages="tagged(legacy) and currentlang()" archive="yes"]]

Then, tag addons with legacy and remove stable and dev.

On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 12:59 PM Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:
Hi,
If we can create a way to tag add-ons as "legacy", then we can move legacy add-ons to a dedicated section once NVDA 2019.3 stable version comes out.

Às 19:30 de 26/11/2019, Lukasz Golonka escreveu:
> Hello,
>

> On Tue, 26 Nov 2019 16:50:25 +0100
> "Noelia Ruiz" <nrm1977@...> wrote:
>
>> Hi, not sure. What about moving add-ons just to the development
>> section of the website without creating a new one?
>> Maybe simpler than creating a new section which may give a lot of
>> importance to add-ons not updated by authors.
>
> While your proposal would eliminate work required to create and
> maintain a new section I do not think that it is very user friendly.
>
> When I hear 'development section' my first thought is the section for
> add-ons which are not stable enough to bbe used, but are going to be
> in the future, because there are being worked on by their authors.
> The add-ons which we are discussing at the moment however, are nor
> unstable (they are simply not working with 2019.3) nor under active
> development (if they would be they would not be discussed in this
> context).
>
> In my view separate section is needed,

--
Derek Riemer
•    Accessibility enthusiast.
•    Open source enthusiast.
•    Skier.

derek riemer

If I have time after NVDACon2019 is uploaded, I'll do this. It won't be this weekend though.

On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 9:45 PM Derek Riemer <driemer.riemer@...> wrote:
Hi:
This is easy enough to create.
Create a legacy.mdwn with the following text, and put it under website/.

[[!meta title="Historic addons that do not work"]]

Attention! These addons do not work! # please update this to stick out.
This page lists addons that are no longer under development, and do not work with NVDA. developers who are interested in making these addons compatible with NVDA should do so, and email the NVDA addons list to get the addon transferred to them.

[[!inline  pages="tagged(legacy) and currentlang()" archive="yes"]]

Then, tag addons with legacy and remove stable and dev.

On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 12:59 PM Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:
Hi,
If we can create a way to tag add-ons as "legacy", then we can move legacy add-ons to a dedicated section once NVDA 2019.3 stable version comes out.

Às 19:30 de 26/11/2019, Lukasz Golonka escreveu:
> Hello,
>

> On Tue, 26 Nov 2019 16:50:25 +0100
> "Noelia Ruiz" <nrm1977@...> wrote:
>
>> Hi, not sure. What about moving add-ons just to the development
>> section of the website without creating a new one?
>> Maybe simpler than creating a new section which may give a lot of
>> importance to add-ons not updated by authors.
>
> While your proposal would eliminate work required to create and
> maintain a new section I do not think that it is very user friendly.
>
> When I hear 'development section' my first thought is the section for
> add-ons which are not stable enough to bbe used, but are going to be
> in the future, because there are being worked on by their authors.
> The add-ons which we are discussing at the moment however, are nor
> unstable (they are simply not working with 2019.3) nor under active
> development (if they would be they would not be discussed in this
> context).
>
> In my view separate section is needed,

--
Derek Riemer
•    Accessibility enthusiast.
•    Open source enthusiast.
•    Skier.

Derek Riemer
•    Accessibility enthusiast.
•    Open source enthusiast.
•    Skier.

Thanks, if you want, I think we should make consistent the info about
accepted add-ons. In the development section we reflect that "Add-ons
will be added at the discretion of the community reviewers,
considering factors such as quality, usefulness and interest from the
wider community". This seems obvious, but this is not explicitly
writen in the stable section, more visible, and maybe confusing.
You may want to do this. My English is not quite good to deal with
documentation and I think it's better that people like native speakers
work on this. Just a suggestion :)

"Noelia Ruiz" <nrm1977@...> wrote:

[...]

Improving the world one byte at a time! ⠠⠊⠍⠏⠗⠕⠧⠬ ⠮ ⠸⠺ ⠐⠕ ⠃⠽⠞⠑ ⠁⠞ ⠁
⠐⠞⠖
• Accessibility enthusiast.
• Proud user of the NVDA screen reader.
• Open source enthusiast.
• Skier.

• Personal website: https://derekriemer.com

--
Derek Riemer
Improving the world one byte at a time! ⠠⠊⠍⠏⠗⠕⠧⠬ ⠮ ⠸⠺ ⠐⠕ ⠃⠽⠞⠑ ⠁⠞ ⠁
⠐⠞⠖
• Accessibility enthusiast.
• Proud user of the NVDA screen reader.
• Open source enthusiast.
• Skier.

• Personal website: https://derekriemer.com

Hi,
I'll take care of that, along with adding a notice about legacy add-ons in both stable and dev pages.

<nrm1977@...> wrote:

[...]

OK, I will update reportPasswords this weekend in case speakPasswork
needs to be moved into legacy add-ons.

<nrm1977@...> wrote:

[...]

I have created a legacy section page, along with updating the processes document to talk about legacy status (add-ons reported as no longer developed or incompatible with recent NVDA releases will be listed as “legacy”).

On Tue, 26 Nov 2019, Noelia Ruiz wrote:

Hi, not sure. What about moving add-ons just to the development
section of the website without creating a new one?
Personally my objection to that, is what users think of the development section. Add-ons there are considered a work in progress, not ready for use except by the adventurous.
That is not true for add-ons that worked in earlier NVDA, but don't work in current.
So it would not be accurate for them to be in Development section.

Additionally, it clutters the dev section with things that are not at all under active development.

Luke