Topics

Executing a function from an external python script

Sauro Cesaretti

Hello everyone, glad to be part of this list,
Sauro from Italy, question for all add-on developers. is there a way
to call an NVDA function from an external python scripts when NVDA is
running? considering that I have to run an API of NVDA like for
example reading the current line, is there a way to execute this
function from an external script instead of executing the task with a
shortcut?
thanks a lot in advance
Best regards,Sauro

Sean

Not exactly what you want.
But you may want to read the NVDAClient API. Maybe you develop some ways.

I wish NVDA had a socket protocol.

On 07/01/2021 10:31, Sauro Cesaretti wrote:
Hello everyone, glad to be part of this list,
Sauro from Italy, question for all add-on developers. is there a way
to call an NVDA function from an external python scripts when NVDA is
running? considering that I have to run an API of NVDA like for
example reading the current line, is there a way to execute this
function from an external script instead of executing the task with a
shortcut?
thanks a lot in advance
Best regards,Sauro

James Scholes

You can't access NVDA internals from a script running in a different Python interpreter, if that's what you're asking. But you can, of course, run your script inside NVDA and then do whatever you want, or try writing a Python script which executes NVDA keystrokes. And as Sean pointed out, there is the NVDA Controller Client library for firing speech and braille.

On 07/01/2021 at 1:31 am, Sauro Cesaretti wrote:
Hello everyone, glad to be part of this list,
Sauro from Italy, question for all add-on developers. is there a way
to call an NVDA function from an external python scripts when NVDA is
running? considering that I have to run an API of NVDA like for
example reading the current line, is there a way to execute this
function from an external script instead of executing the task with a
shortcut?
thanks a lot in advance
Best regards,Sauro

Sauro Cesaretti

Thanks a lot for all your advices.
I'll try rightaway.
I suppose that NVDA client controller will work for what I'd like to do.
Regards,Sauro