Empty folders in Window Explorer, issues # 3152 and # 5759

Javi Domínguez

Hello.

I have tried to fix issues #3152 and #5759 (about windows explorer not announcing when a folder is empty) that have been open for a long time without a solution. This is not really a solution, it is just a patch, but I think it may help. It is something experimental, I leave it here for whoever wants to try it. Your feedback would be useful to me. It works fine for me in NVDA 2021.2 on Windows 10 21H1 (x64) build 19043.1266, but I don't know how it will behave on other systems, with other configurations or in other languages.

https://github.com/javidominguez/ExplorerEnhancements/releases/download/dev20211012/ExplorerEnhancements-dev20211012.nvda-addon

Greetings

Javi Dominguez

Cagri Dogan

Hi Javi,

I’ve downloaded and installed The addon. Unfortunately no change in NVDA’s behavior.

NVDA version: alpha-23913,cfeb3d27

OS: Windows 10 21H1 (x64) build 19043.1237

OS language: Turkish

All the best,

Çağrı

Kimden: Javi Domínguez
Gönderilme: 11 Ekim 2021 Pazartesi 14:42
Kime: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io
Konu: [nvda-addons] Empty folders in Window Explorer, issues # 3152 and # 5759

Hello.

I have tried to fix issues #3152 and #5759 (about windows explorer not announcing when a folder is empty) that have been open for a long time without a solution. This is not really a solution, it is just a patch, but I think it may help. It is something experimental, I leave it here for whoever wants to try it. Your feedback would be useful to me. It works fine for me in NVDA 2021.2 on Windows 10 21H1 (x64) build 19043.1266, but I don't know how it will behave on other systems, with other configurations or in other languages.

https://github.com/javidominguez/ExplorerEnhancements/releases/download/dev20211012/ExplorerEnhancements-dev20211012.nvda-addon

Greetings

Javi Dominguez

Locutor Antonio Cezar

Hello. What's the problem with the announcement of empty folders by NVDA, please?!. Here, with the NVDA Alpha latest version and Windows 10 most recent and fully updated, when browsing the items with the arrows, the NVDA warns me when a Windows Explorer folder is empty... Thank you.

Locutor Antonio Cezar

Kimden: Javi Domínguez
Gönderilme: 11 Ekim 2021 Pazartesi 14:42
Kime: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io

Hello.

I have tried to fix issues #3152 and #5759 (about windows explorer not announcing when a folder is empty) that have been open for a long time without a solution. This is not really a solution, it is just a patch, but I think it may help. It is something experimental, I leave it here for whoever wants to try it. Your feedback would be useful to me. It works fine for me in NVDA 2021.2 on Windows 10 21H1 (x64) build 19043.1266, but I don't know how it will behave on other systems, with other configurations or in other languages.

https://github.com/javidominguez/ExplorerEnhancements/releases/download/dev20211012/ExplorerEnhancements-dev20211012.nvda-addon

Greetings

Javi Dominguez

Javi Domínguez

Oops! I have got confused. In NVDA alpha it runs fine but in stable 2021.2 no. It seems that the module does not load.

El 11/10/2021 a las 13:42, Javi Domínguez via groups.io escribió:
Hello.

I have tried to fix issues #3152 and #5759 (about windows explorer not announcing when a folder is empty) that have been open for a long time without a solution. This is not really a solution, it is just a patch, but I think it may help. It is something experimental, I leave it here for whoever wants to try it. Your feedback would be useful to me. It works fine for me in NVDA 2021.2 on Windows 10 21H1 (x64) build 19043.1266, but I don't know how it will behave on other systems, with other configurations or in other languages.

https://github.com/javidominguez/ExplorerEnhancements/releases/download/dev20211012/ExplorerEnhancements-dev20211012.nvda-addon

Greetings

Javi Dominguez

Rui Fontes

Hello!

Same here!

Same configurations except system language that is portuguese...

Also tested in NVDA 2021.1 with same results.

Rui Fontes

Kimden: Javi Domínguez
Gönderilme: 11 Ekim 2021 Pazartesi 14:42
Kime: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io

Hello.

I have tried to fix issues #3152 and #5759 (about windows explorer not announcing when a folder is empty) that have been open for a long time without a solution. This is not really a solution, it is just a patch, but I think it may help. It is something experimental, I leave it here for whoever wants to try it. Your feedback would be useful to me. It works fine for me in NVDA 2021.2 on Windows 10 21H1 (x64) build 19043.1266, but I don't know how it will behave on other systems, with other configurations or in other languages.

https://github.com/javidominguez/ExplorerEnhancements/releases/download/dev20211012/ExplorerEnhancements-dev20211012.nvda-addon

Greetings

Javi Dominguez

Rui Fontes

Excuse me for answering in portuguese...

António, o problema é quando entras numa pasta vazia, em que o NVDA não anuncia nada...

Não é enquanto navegas numa pasta e o NVDA anuncia o conteúdo das pastas ou que estão vazias...

Rui Fontes

Kimden: Javi Domínguez
Gönderilme: 11 Ekim 2021 Pazartesi 14:42
Kime: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io

Hello.

I have tried to fix issues #3152 and #5759 (about windows explorer not announcing when a folder is empty) that have been open for a long time without a solution. This is not really a solution, it is just a patch, but I think it may help. It is something experimental, I leave it here for whoever wants to try it. Your feedback would be useful to me. It works fine for me in NVDA 2021.2 on Windows 10 21H1 (x64) build 19043.1266, but I don't know how it will behave on other systems, with other configurations or in other languages.

https://github.com/javidominguez/ExplorerEnhancements/releases/download/dev20211012/ExplorerEnhancements-dev20211012.nvda-addon

Greetings

Javi Dominguez

Javi Domínguez

Hi.

Thank you. Could you please go to the folder where the addon was installed and check that there is a folder called __pycache__?

Greetings

Kimden: Javi Domínguez
Gönderilme: 11 Ekim 2021 Pazartesi 14:42
Kime: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io

Hello.

I have tried to fix issues #3152 and #5759 (about windows explorer not announcing when a folder is empty) that have been open for a long time without a solution. This is not really a solution, it is just a patch, but I think it may help. It is something experimental, I leave it here for whoever wants to try it. Your feedback would be useful to me. It works fine for me in NVDA 2021.2 on Windows 10 21H1 (x64) build 19043.1266, but I don't know how it will behave on other systems, with other configurations or in other languages.

https://github.com/javidominguez/ExplorerEnhancements/releases/download/dev20211012/ExplorerEnhancements-dev20211012.nvda-addon

Greetings

Javi Dominguez

Cagri Dogan

Hi,

No, a folder named __pycache_ does not exist iether in the addon root or in the subfolder appmodules.

Kimden: Javi Domínguez
Gönderilme: 11 Ekim 2021 Pazartesi 14:42
Kime: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io

Hello.

I have tried to fix issues #3152 and #5759 (about windows explorer not announcing when a folder is empty) that have been open for a long time without a solution. This is not really a solution, it is just a patch, but I think it may help. It is something experimental, I leave it here for whoever wants to try it. Your feedback would be useful to me. It works fine for me in NVDA 2021.2 on Windows 10 21H1 (x64) build 19043.1266, but I don't know how it will behave on other systems, with other configurations or in other languages.

https://github.com/javidominguez/ExplorerEnhancements/releases/download/dev20211012/ExplorerEnhancements-dev20211012.nvda-addon

Greetings

Javi Dominguez

Alberto Buffolino

Javi Domínguez, il 11/10/2021 14.25, ha scritto:
Thank you. Could you please go to the folder where the addon was installed and check that there is a folder called __pycache__?
Alberto:
Hi Javi,
it seems that your add-on is not loaded due to WinTenApps. Disabling this latter, your add-on is been loaded. I remember an add-on that manage this case during import, but not its name.
Unfortunately, on my system, like you but in Italian, I notice no changes in usual behavior.
I'm thinking about this question from a lot of time, to extend ColumnsReview functionality of empty list announcement (already working in other lists). Events you used seem correct (I verified with a log message), but something goes wrong in obj checks.
Alberto

Locutor Antonio Cezar

Gratitude. It also does not work here... Thanks.

Locutor Antonio Cezar

Kimden: Javi Domínguez
Gönderilme: 11 Ekim 2021 Pazartesi 14:42
Kime: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io

Hello.

I have tried to fix issues #3152 and #5759 (about windows explorer not announcing when a folder is empty) that have been open for a long time without a solution. This is not really a solution, it is just a patch, but I think it may help. It is something experimental, I leave it here for whoever wants to try it. Your feedback would be useful to me. It works fine for me in NVDA 2021.2 on Windows 10 21H1 (x64) build 19043.1266, but I don't know how it will behave on other systems, with other configurations or in other languages.

https://github.com/javidominguez/ExplorerEnhancements/releases/download/dev20211012/ExplorerEnhancements-dev20211012.nvda-addon

Greetings

Javi Dominguez

Javi Domínguez

Hi!

Thanks, indeed that is the problem. WinTenApps must be disabled for it to load correctly. I had a similar problem with Mozilla and the Developer Toolkit.

El 11/10/2021 a las 14:56, Alberto Buffolino escribió:
Javi Domínguez, il 11/10/2021 14.25, ha scritto:
Thank you. Could you please go to the folder where the addon was installed and check that there is a folder called __pycache__?
Alberto:
Hi Javi,
it seems that your add-on is not loaded due to WinTenApps. Disabling this latter, your add-on is been loaded. I remember an add-on that manage this case during import, but not its name.
Unfortunately, on my system, like you but in Italian, I notice no changes in usual behavior.
I'm thinking about this question from a lot of time, to extend ColumnsReview functionality of empty list announcement (already working in other lists). Events you used seem correct (I verified with a log message), but something goes wrong in obj checks.
Alberto

Cyrille

To avoid overriding previously imported appModules, the appModules should import one on top of the other rather than from nvdaBuiltins.appModules.

I mean in win10app add-on as well as in any add-on/module overriding explorer:
from appModules.explorer import *
rather than
from nvdaBuiltin.appModules.explorer import *

I haven't tested yet but I think it should work:
- nvdaBuiltin.appModules contains appModules originally embedded by NVDA
- appModules contains the appModules available at runtime, i.e. appModules from add-ons may have overridden NVDA's ones.

It it is confirmed it can work this way, I will update Outlook extended add-on accordingly to allow other third party Outlook enhancements.

Cheers,

Cyrille

Thanks, indeed that is the problem. WinTenApps must be disabled for it
to load correctly. I had a similar problem with Mozilla and the
Developer Toolkit.

El 11/10/2021 a las 14:56, Alberto Buffolino escribió:
> Javi Domínguez, il 11/10/2021 14.25, ha scritto:
>> Thank you. Could you please go to the folder where the addon was
>> installed and check that there is a folder called __pycache__?
> Alberto:
> Hi Javi,
> it seems that your add-on is not loaded due to WinTenApps. Disabling
> this latter, your add-on is been loaded. I remember an add-on that
> manage this case during import, but not its name.
> Unfortunately, on my system, like you but in Italian, I notice no
> changes in usual behavior.
> I'm thinking about this question from a lot of time, to extend
> ColumnsReview functionality of empty list announcement (already
> working in other lists). Events you used seem correct (I verified with
> a log message), but something goes wrong in obj checks.
> Alberto

Javi Domínguez

Thanks but no. At least it doesn't work for me like you say.

It doesn't matter which class you inherit from, the important thing here is that the one loaded first prevails.
First appModules.explorer is loaded from WinTenApps, then when NVDA loads ExplorerEnhancements, it doesn't updates appModules.explorer because it sees that there is already one in memory and assumes that it is the same. Consequently, the only copy that is actually running is the one that was loaded first.

Check this out on the console with WinTenApps enabled:

>>> appModules.explorer
<module 'appModules.explorer' from 'C:\\Users\\Javichi\\AppData\\Roaming\\nvda\\addons\\wintenApps\\appModules\\explorer.py'>
>>> appModules.explorer.AppModule.event_nameChange
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<console>", line 1, in <module>
AttributeError: type object 'AppModule' has no attribute 'event_nameChange'

And this one with WinTenApps disabled:

>>> appModules.explorer
<module 'appModules.explorer' from 'C:\\Users\\Javichi\\AppData\\Roaming\\nvda\\addons\\ExplorerEnhancements\\appModules\\explorer.py'>
>>> appModules.explorer.AppModule.event_nameChange
<function AppModule.event_nameChange at 0x041AEC48>

Look at the path of the module in each case and that if it is appModules.explorer from WinTenApps that is loaded, it does not contain event_nameChange that mine does.

I had the same problem with Mozilla and Developer Toolkits. It can be solved but it is complicated and in this case it is not worth it. It is just an experiment that I wanted to try, it is not my intention that it remain as an addon.

Greetings

Javi Dominguez

El 11/10/2021 a las 16:25, Cyrille via groups.io escribió:
To avoid overriding previously imported appModules, the appModules should import one on top of the other rather than from nvdaBuiltins.appModules.

I mean in win10app add-on as well as in any add-on/module overriding explorer:
from appModules.explorer import *
rather than
from nvdaBuiltin.appModules.explorer import *

I haven't tested yet but I think it should work:
- nvdaBuiltin.appModules contains appModules originally embedded by NVDA
- appModules contains the appModules available at runtime, i.e. appModules from add-ons may have overridden NVDA's ones.

It it is confirmed it can work this way, I will update Outlook extended add-on accordingly to allow other third party Outlook enhancements.

Cheers,

Cyrille

Thanks, indeed that is the problem. WinTenApps must be disabled for it
to load correctly. I had a similar problem with Mozilla and the
Developer Toolkit.

El 11/10/2021 a las 14:56, Alberto Buffolino escribió:
> Javi Domínguez, il 11/10/2021 14.25, ha scritto:
>> Thank you. Could you please go to the folder where the addon was
>> installed and check that there is a folder called __pycache__?
> Alberto:
> Hi Javi,
> it seems that your add-on is not loaded due to WinTenApps. Disabling
> this latter, your add-on is been loaded. I remember an add-on that
> manage this case during import, but not its name.
> Unfortunately, on my system, like you but in Italian, I notice no
> changes in usual behavior.
> I'm thinking about this question from a lot of time, to extend
> ColumnsReview functionality of empty list announcement (already
> working in other lists). Events you used seem correct (I verified with
> a log message), but something goes wrong in obj checks.
> Alberto

Rowen Cary

Hi, it works fine with me, but I have a question: When I entered the folder, it did not immediately announce that the folder was empty. I pressed the four arrow keys and there was no sound. Only when I pressed Tab once, I heard the prompt. When we enter a folder every time, to navigate the items in the folder, we will first press the four arrow keys instead of the Tab key. Is there a way to let the user know the fact that the folder is empty in the first place?

Rui Fontes

The prevalent is the last one in alphabetical order...

I have to name my trial add-on to read the File Explorer status bar as ZExplorer in order to work...

If I rename yours to ZZExp... it will be yours to work...

I have tried, but I can't find a way to have all working...

Rui Fontes

Às 16:11 de 11/10/2021, Javi Domínguez escreveu:

> [...]

El 11/10/2021 a las 14:56, Alberto Buffolino escribió:
> Javi Domínguez, il 11/10/2021 14.25, ha scritto:
>> Thank you. Could you please go to the folder where the addon was
>> installed and check that there is a folder called __pycache__?
> Alberto:
> Hi Javi,
> it seems that your add-on is not loaded due to WinTenApps. Disabling
> this latter, your add-on is been loaded. I remember an add-on that
> manage this case during import, but not its name.
> Unfortunately, on my system, like you but in Italian, I notice no
> changes in usual behavior.
> I'm thinking about this question from a lot of time, to extend
> ColumnsReview functionality of empty list announcement (already
> working in other lists). Events you used seem correct (I verified with
> a log message), but something goes wrong in obj checks.

Cyrille

Hi all

Thanks Javi and Rui for the answers.
You are right. It's a pity but my suggestion is not working.

Either there is no way to load two stacked custom appModules or we do not figure how to do it. In either case, an issue should be opened against NVDA to get an answer from NVAccess on this point.

@Javi, @Andy:
Since you are impacted, would you mind opening such an issue with a detailed description of your real use cases?

Cheers,

Cyrille

Thanks, indeed that is the problem. WinTenApps must be disabled for it
to load correctly. I had a similar problem with Mozilla and the
Developer Toolkit.

El 11/10/2021 a las 14:56, Alberto Buffolino escribió:
> Javi Domínguez, il 11/10/2021 14.25, ha scritto:
>> Thank you. Could you please go to the folder where the addon was
>> installed and check that there is a folder called __pycache__?
> Alberto:
> Hi Javi,
> it seems that your add-on is not loaded due to WinTenApps. Disabling
> this latter, your add-on is been loaded. I remember an add-on that
> manage this case during import, but not its name.
> Unfortunately, on my system, like you but in Italian, I notice no
> changes in usual behavior.
> I'm thinking about this question from a lot of time, to extend
> ColumnsReview functionality of empty list announcement (already
> working in other lists). Events you used seem correct (I verified with
> a log message), but something goes wrong in obj checks.
> Alberto

Javi Domínguez

Hi.

It cannot be done from within the appModule, you have to create a global plugin that does it from outside. I'm testing with this and it seems to work.

import globalPluginHandler

class GlobalPlugin(globalPluginHandler.GlobalPlugin):
    pass

import appModules
if hasattr(appModules, "explorer") and "wintenapps" in appModules.explorer.__file__.lower():
    import sys
    import os
    sys.path.append(os.path.abspath(os.path.join(os.path.dirname(__file__), '..', 'AppModules')))
    import explorer
    setattr(appModules.explorer.AppModule, "event_nameChange", explorer.AppModule.event_nameChange)

Greetings

Javi Dominguez

El 11/10/2021 a las 21:12, Rui Fontes escribió:

> [...]

El 11/10/2021 a las 14:56, Alberto Buffolino escribió:
> Javi Domínguez, il 11/10/2021 14.25, ha scritto:
>> Thank you. Could you please go to the folder where the addon was
>> installed and check that there is a folder called __pycache__?
> Alberto:
> Hi Javi,
> it seems that your add-on is not loaded due to WinTenApps. Disabling
> this latter, your add-on is been loaded. I remember an add-on that
> manage this case during import, but not its name.
> Unfortunately, on my system, like you but in Italian, I notice no
> changes in usual behavior.
> I'm thinking about this question from a lot of time, to extend
> ColumnsReview functionality of empty list announcement (already
> working in other lists). Events you used seem correct (I verified with
> a log message), but something goes wrong in obj checks.

Cyrille

Happy for you that you have found this solution.

But it remains a work-around. And it works only because you know the name of the ad-on that conflicts with yours (winTenApp) as well as its content (only one event defined).
Hence my recommendation to open an issue against NVDA to have a general method implemented to stack appModules.

Cyrille

Thanks, indeed that is the problem. WinTenApps must be disabled for it
to load correctly. I had a similar problem with Mozilla and the
Developer Toolkit.

El 11/10/2021 a las 14:56, Alberto Buffolino escribió:
> Javi Domínguez, il 11/10/2021 14.25, ha scritto:
>> Thank you. Could you please go to the folder where the addon was
>> installed and check that there is a folder called __pycache__?
> Alberto:
> Hi Javi,
> it seems that your add-on is not loaded due to WinTenApps. Disabling
> this latter, your add-on is been loaded. I remember an add-on that
> manage this case during import, but not its name.
> Unfortunately, on my system, like you but in Italian, I notice no
> changes in usual behavior.
> I'm thinking about this question from a lot of time, to extend
> ColumnsReview functionality of empty list announcement (already
> working in other lists). Events you used seem correct (I verified with
> a log message), but something goes wrong in obj checks.
> Alberto

Javi Domínguez

Hi.

There is already an issue about this: #9845

El 12/10/2021 a las 12:29, Cyrille via groups.io escribió:
Happy for you that you have found this solution.

But it remains a work-around. And it works only because you know the name of the ad-on that conflicts with yours (winTenApp) as well as its content (only one event defined).
Hence my recommendation to open an issue against NVDA to have a general method implemented to stack appModules.

Cyrille

Thanks, indeed that is the problem. WinTenApps must be disabled for it
to load correctly. I had a similar problem with Mozilla and the
Developer Toolkit.

El 11/10/2021 a las 14:56, Alberto Buffolino escribió:
> Javi Domínguez, il 11/10/2021 14.25, ha scritto:
>> Thank you. Could you please go to the folder where the addon was
>> installed and check that there is a folder called __pycache__?
> Alberto:
> Hi Javi,
> it seems that your add-on is not loaded due to WinTenApps. Disabling
> this latter, your add-on is been loaded. I remember an add-on that
> manage this case during import, but not its name.
> Unfortunately, on my system, like you but in Italian, I notice no
> changes in usual behavior.
> I'm thinking about this question from a lot of time, to extend
> ColumnsReview functionality of empty list announcement (already
> working in other lists). Events you used seem correct (I verified with
> a log message), but something goes wrong in obj checks.
> Alberto

Cyrille

Hello

OK, thanks for the reference.

I will comment there since I think this issue may take more importance in the future when more add-ons are accepted in the store.

Cheers,

Cyrille