Topics

Basis for Ordering Add-ons on Website

Bhavya shah

Dear NVDA add-ons community,

As someone who has been perusing through the NVDA community add-ons
portal recently, as may be evident from my recent flurry of mails on
this group, I have noticed some slight disorder in the arrangements of
addons on the website.

To elaborate briefly, it feels like there isn't a clear-cut pattern
followed in ordering the add-ons from the top to the bottom of the
homepage of the NVDA community add-ons portal. One possible metric for
sorting could be alphabeticization. However, I would like to advocate
another factor on which add-ons should be ordered on the homepage:
latest compatible NVDA version.
I think it is reasonable to make the following two assertions:
* The amount of users of each NVDA version decreases as we go back in
time, i.e. NVDA 2020.1 commands a larger user base than 2019.3 and so
on.
* The add-ons shown at the top of the page get greater visibility than
those lower down in the list.
Given this, we ought prioritize those add-ons which, purely in terms
of NVDA version compatibility, hold relevance and thus appeal to a
greater number of NVDA users.

To be clear, there may well be a specific factor which determines
ranking of add-ons on the website, which I am unaware of. If that is
so, please let me know what it is, and why it is a good criterion.

The add-ons website is very neatly designed as is, but I was just
thinking of ways to improve it even further.

Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@...

Jesse Farquharson

I believe addons are organized by date released/last edited on the website.

Hi,
Ordering is determined by creation date for add-on readme entries. This allows us to track when an add-on was first added to the website.

[...]

Hmm, I'd have thought that when a new version came out it should be bumped up the order so people will see it.
Brian

bglists@...
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'