At last... RibbonExplorer #newaddon

Alberto Buffolino

Hi all,
as you may have read on NVDA general list, after a restricted testing phase, I released to the public a new add-on, to simplify exploration of Ribbon menu, in Office 2019, 365 and 2021 (for the moment).
Just install, open an Office application, press Alt... and familiarize with new menu layout (an enhanced version of object navigation, as advanced users will see).
It's in dev state, but it already works quite well, in my opinion.
Remaining problems concern primarily how to set focus in particular circumstances (forceFocus method), and I'd be very grateful if someone could suggest a better solution than mine (focusing a previous obj and then simulating a moving gesture, substantially).
Latest build is at:
https://github.com/ABuffEr/ribbonExplorer/releases/download/dev/ribbonExplorer-20220112-dev.nvda-addon
and repository at:
https://github.com/ABuffEr/ribbonExplorer/
Good tests 🙂
Alberto

Noelia Ruiz

Hello, I don't have Office, just the demo coming with Windows, at
home. Maybe useful to extend this to Wordpad and other ribbons? Just
thinking: 😄

2022-01-13 16:14 GMT+01:00, Alberto Buffolino <a.buffolino@gmail.com>:

Hi all,
as you may have read on NVDA general list, after a restricted testing
phase, I released to the public a new add-on, to simplify exploration of
Ribbon menu, in Office 2019, 365 and 2021 (for the moment).
Just install, open an Office application, press Alt... and familiarize
with new menu layout (an enhanced version of object navigation, as
advanced users will see).
Remaining problems concern primarily how to set focus in particular
circumstances (forceFocus method), and I'd be very grateful if someone
could suggest a better solution than mine (focusing a previous obj and
then simulating a moving gesture, substantially).
Latest build is at:
https://github.com/ABuffEr/ribbonExplorer/releases/download/dev/ribbonExplorer-20220112-dev.nvda-addon
and repository at:
Good tests 🙂
Alberto

Roger Stewart

Will this work with Notepad and other apps that use ribbons?

Roger

On 1/13/2022 9:14 AM, Alberto Buffolino wrote:
Hi all,
as you may have read on NVDA general list, after a restricted testing phase, I released to the public a new add-on, to simplify exploration of Ribbon menu, in Office 2019, 365 and 2021 (for the moment).
Just install, open an Office application, press Alt... and familiarize with new menu layout (an enhanced version of object navigation, as advanced users will see).
Remaining problems concern primarily how to set focus in particular circumstances (forceFocus method), and I'd be very grateful if someone could suggest a better solution than mine (focusing a previous obj and then simulating a moving gesture, substantially).
Latest build is at:
and repository at:
Good tests 🙂
Alberto

Alberto Buffolino

Roger Stewart, il 13/01/2022 16.42, ha scritto:
Alberto:
Hi Roger,
it was my initial idea, but going forward I realized that Ribbons in Office and Ribbons in other applications are not so similar as you (and I) imagine, and decided to concentrate my efforts on Office.
So, about other applications, I not decided yet. It'll depend on how much work it require.
Alberto

Jordi Montserrat Navarro

Hola Alberto

Acabo de incorporarme hoy a la lista.

Estoy empezando a aprender Python y quiero participar en crear complementos, pero mis conocimientos son  muy bajos.

Pero tengo instalado el Office 2019 y tendre acceso al Windows 365.

Me ofrezco a hacer pruebas a nivel de usuario, mientras voy introduciéndome en el mundo de NVDA.

Espero ser útil.

Saludos.

El jue, 13 ene 2022 a las 16:56, Alberto Buffolino (<a.buffolino@...>) escribió:
> Will this work with Notepad and other apps that use ribbons?
Alberto:
Hi Roger,
it was my initial idea, but going forward I realized that Ribbons in
Office and Ribbons in other applications are not so similar as you (and
I) imagine, and decided to concentrate my efforts on Office.
So, about other applications, I not decided yet. It'll depend on how
much work it require.
Alberto

Noelia Ruiz

Hello Jordi: Welcome to the international NVDA add-ons mailing list. The language for this group is English. You may try to use an automatic translator to post here, for example, instantTranslate,  an NVDA add-on contributed by several authors included Alberto. I"ll sumarize your message, writen in Spanish:
Mostly for Alberto. Jordi wants to learn Python and skills related" to add-on development. He has Office 2019 and soon he will have 365, and he wants to help with your add-on making tests as a user. Thanks.

Enviado desde mi iPhone

El 13 ene 2022, a las 17:57, Jordi Montserrat Navarro <disetgrup@...> escribió:

Hola Alberto

Estoy empezando a aprender Python y quiero participar en crear complementos, pero mis conocimientos son  muy bajos.

Me ofrezco a hacer pruebas a nivel de usuario, mientras voy introduciéndome en el mundo de NVDA.

Espero ser útil.

Saludos.

El jue, 13 ene 2022 a las 16:56, Alberto Buffolino (<a.buffolino@...>) escribió:
Alberto:
Hi Roger,
Office and Ribbons in other applications are not so similar as you (and
much work it require.
Alberto

--

Doug Lee

This is an English list, but I think you said you just joined it. Greetings and welcome. :-)

In case it's useful, this is my best translation of your message - Google helped here but this is not just a
Google translation:

=====
Hello Alberto

I just joined this list today.

I'm starting to learn Python and want to participate in creating
add-ons, but my knowledge is very low.

But I have Office 2019 installed and have access to Office 365.

I offer to do user -level tests while I'm accustomizing myself to the world of NVDA.

I hope to be useful.

Greetings.
=====

On Thu, Jan 13, 2022 at 05:52:17PM +0100, Jordi Montserrat Navarro wrote:
Hola Alberto

Estoy empezando a aprender Python y quiero participar en crear
complementos, pero mis conocimientos son muy bajos.

Â

Me ofrezco a hacer pruebas a nivel de usuario, mientras voy
introduciéndome en el mundo de NVDA.

Espero ser útil.

Saludos.

El jue, 13 ene 2022 a las 16:56, Alberto Buffolino
(<a.buffolino@gmail.com>) escribió:

Alberto:
Hi Roger,
Office and Ribbons in other applications are not so similar as you
(and
much work it require.
Alberto

--

Jordi Montserrat Navarro
jordimontserratnavarro.blogspot.com
       disetgrup@gmail.com
  Grup TO de la Fundació COAATT

--
Doug Lee dgl@dlee.org http://www.dlee.org
"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both
incisive and probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by
dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper." --Rod Serling

Christopher Duffley

Yup, basically what Noelia summarized!

Christopher Duffley

LINKS TO SUBSCRIBE:

LIKE/FOLLOW Me:

On Jan 13, 2022, at 12:17, Doug Lee <nvda@...> wrote:

This is an English list, but I think you said you just joined it. Greetings and welcome. :-)

In case it's useful, this is my best translation of your message - Google helped here but this is not just a
Google translation:

=====
Hello Alberto

I just joined this list today.

I'm starting to learn Python and want to participate in creating
    add-ons, but my knowledge is very low.

But I have Office 2019 installed and have access to Office 365.

I offer to do user -level tests while I'm accustomizing myself to the world of NVDA.

I hope to be useful.

Greetings.
=====

On Thu, Jan 13, 2022 at 05:52:17PM +0100, Jordi Montserrat Navarro wrote:
  Hola Alberto

Estoy empezando a aprender Python y quiero participar en crear
  complementos, pero mis conocimientos son  muy bajos.

Â

Me ofrezco a hacer pruebas a nivel de usuario, mientras voy
  introduciéndome en el mundo de NVDA.

Espero ser útil.

Saludos.

El jue, 13 ene 2022 a las 16:56, Alberto Buffolino
  (<a.buffolino@...>) escribió:

Alberto:
    Hi Roger,
    Office and Ribbons in other applications are not so similar as you
    (and
    much work it require.
    Alberto

--

Â Â Â Â  Jordi Montserrat Navarro
  jordimontserratnavarro.blogspot.com
  Â  Â  Â  Â Â Â Â  disetgrup@...
  Â   Grup TO de la Fundació COAATT

--
Doug Lee                 dgl@...                http://www.dlee.org
"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both
incisive and probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by
dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper."  --Rod Serling

Hi,

I must say this is one of the well-documented add-ons as far as source code is concerned. A note about object presentation type at the beginning was really helpful, too.

Regarding license: I understand that this add-on is licensed under GNU GPL 3, which is incompatible with GPL 2. Have you considered re-licensing the add-on?

Subsequent to the publication of the add-on dev snapshot, there has been a discussion on the users list about using native interface versus an add-on like this (see the NvDA list archive for details). The only thing I would add is that at least give folks a chance to demonstrate their skills with an add-on like this - who knows, it might be useful for some.

Cheers,

Joseph

Dennis L

I would consider using this if NVDA ever became my primary screen reader.  NVDA needs to improve in the areas I stated the other day but nice work.

From: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2022 3:42 PM
To: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda-addons] At last... RibbonExplorer #newaddon

Hi,

I must say this is one of the well-documented add-ons as far as source code is concerned. A note about object presentation type at the beginning was really helpful, too.

Regarding license: I understand that this add-on is licensed under GNU GPL 3, which is incompatible with GPL 2. Have you considered re-licensing the add-on?

Subsequent to the publication of the add-on dev snapshot, there has been a discussion on the users list about using native interface versus an add-on like this (see the NvDA list archive for details). The only thing I would add is that at least give folks a chance to demonstrate their skills with an add-on like this - who knows, it might be useful for some.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sylwek Piekarski

I don't have a problem with ribbons in Office, but I'm glad that such an add-on was created. Thank you very much. It even works well in Office 2016.

kind regards - Sylwek

W dniu 13.01.2022 o 16:14, Alberto Buffolino pisze:

Hi all,
Latest build is at:
and repository at:
Good tests 🙂
Alberto

Eilana Benish

Hi,

i use microsoft 365

the idea for this add-on is great

but either I don't understand or it is not possible to change the values, select or open some comboboxes. for example the font selection combo box - I did not succeed too select a font or start typing in this autocomplete combobox the first characters of the font name.

So I think in order to improve the user experience here, I would recommend too keep the default behavior for comboboxes that contains text or characters that user can choose or change or type some values in order to open the auto complete or the list of values to choose from.

So good luck with this add on 😊

‫בתאריך יום ה׳, 13 בינו׳ 2022 ב-23:37 מאת ‪Sylwek Piekarski‬‏ <‪sylpiek@...‬‏>:‬

I don't have a problem with ribbons in Office, but I'm glad that such an
add-on was created. Thank you very much. It even works well in Office 2016.

kind regards - Sylwek

W dniu 13.01.2022 o 16:14, Alberto Buffolino pisze:
> Hi all,
> as you may have read on NVDA general list, after a restricted testing
> phase, I released to the public a new add-on, to simplify exploration
> of Ribbon menu, in Office 2019, 365 and 2021 (for the moment).
> Just install, open an Office application, press Alt... and familiarize
> with new menu layout (an enhanced version of object navigation, as
> advanced users will see).
> It's in dev state, but it already works quite well, in my opinion.
> Remaining problems concern primarily how to set focus in particular
> circumstances (forceFocus method), and I'd be very grateful if someone
> could suggest a better solution than mine (focusing a previous obj and
> then simulating a moving gesture, substantially).
> Latest build is at:
> https://github.com/ABuffEr/ribbonExplorer/releases/download/dev/ribbonExplorer-20220112-dev.nvda-addon
>
> and repository at:
> https://github.com/ABuffEr/ribbonExplorer/
> Good tests 🙂
> Alberto
>
>
>
>
>

--

ובכבוד רב,

אילנה בניש מורשה נגישות שירות 2200

ייעוץ, ליווי והערכת נגישות ושמישות אינטרנט וטכנולוגיות מידע

טלפון ישיר 📱 +972-50-7100367 | דוא"ל 📧 benish.ilana@...

Alberto Buffolino

Joseph Lee, il 13/01/2022 21.41, ha scritto:
Alberto:
thanks Joseph. Yes, presentationType was been an interesting discovery, personally. I think it'd be useful in other add-ons too, like ToolbarsExplorer.
Alberto:
yes, my error, I'll change in v2.
Subsequent to the publication of the add-on dev snapshot, there has been a discussion on the users list about using native interface versus an add-on like this (see the NvDA list archive for details).
Alberto:
I have seen. I have a bit different opinions, not very flattering, concerning Ribbons accessibility, hierarchical exploration, moving/gesture predictability and the overview of the potential that a menu must give over its application, a lot of these related to mind organization and rapid learning and operating in unusual contexts, but, sure, knowing native interface is a better approach than using an add-on that could become unfunctional in any moment.
So, patience... this add-on will probably remain an experiment, in a minimum-effort state of support.
Alberto

Alberto Buffolino

Sylwek Piekarski, il 13/01/2022 22.36, ha scritto:
It even works well in Office 2016.
Alberto:
Hi Sylwek,
thanks for appreciation.
Here I have a Office 2016 trial, for which I blocked updates to avoid an undesired upgrade to latest 365 interface, and indeed the latest add-on build seems to be working, but I have noticed anyway some strange behaviours, so be care, I cannot guarantee anything.
Alberto

Alberto Buffolino

Eilana Benish, il 14/01/2022 10.23, ha scritto:
but either I don't understand or it is not possible to change the values, select or open some comboboxes. for example the font selection combo box - I did not succeed too select a font or start typing in this autocomplete combobox the first characters of the font name.
Alberto:
Hi Eilana,
try to expand with right arrow, like a submenu.
I made this to prevent accidental changes with arrows.
And yes, I must add alt+downArrow and enter too... and it must be documented.
I have also disabled the "selected" announcement, quite useless in that context, and here it seems ok, but report if this causes problems.
Alberto

Brian's Mail list account

That was my thought as well. I simply never understood the logic of making ribbon menus. It would have been relatively easy for Microsoft to have made their shell with an option for ribbons or traditional menus. I think from all those I've met who are used to XP, these menus are the worst thing in the world to figure out the logic for when you want to do something you don't have the short cut for. Surely muddling property sheets, menus and bits of toolbars all in a complete mish mash has got to be wrong, yet they persist, despite almost every user sighted too not, saying they are hard to work with.
Sorry, I feel better now.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
Newsgroup monitored: alt.comp.blind-users

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2022 3:42 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda-addons] At last... RibbonExplorer #newAddon

Roger

On 1/13/2022 9:14 AM, Alberto Buffolino wrote:
Hi all,
Latest build is at:
and repository at:
Good tests 🙂
Alberto