Topics

Addons website

Adriani Botez

Dear all,

let’s start yet an other round of checks for the addons website.

Following things should be resolved, @Joseph or @Noelia could you please take care of?

  1. Column review addon: this addon is only posted under development section, however, there are two links on the website. One for stable and one for the development version. Both links lead to the development version though. So I propose to delete the stable version link since this addon is not posted in that section anyway.
  2. Some addons show the wrong compatibility flag (i.e. wordcunt). The addon on the website shows compatibility until nvda 2019.1 but I am runing the new version on NVDA 2019.3.1.
  3. How about Doug Lee’s addons? As far as I know he was asking for uploading his addons also on the official addons website.
  4. I think addons like focus highlight and screen curtain can be removed since this is part of NVDA now.
  5. Addons like Emule 0.5, crash hero, tip of the day, Mushclient, MIRC, Bit Che, Ventrilo or BGT Lullaby are not updated since years. Is there any progress on this? Otherwise I suggest to move these addons under legacy addons.

Thanks and best regards

Adriani

Adriani Botez

Also before moving an addon to the legacy, please check the github repo of the author maybe there is a new version meanwhile.

OCR for example has been updated by NV Access as far as I know. So no need to put this addon in legacy anymore.

And as far as I know there is also an update for enhanced area but I am not 100% sure about this.

Best

Adriani

[...]

Hi,

In order for an add-on to be posted on community add-ons website, it must be reviewed by someone. I’m wondering if we have anything done about Doug’s add-ons.

As for legacy and compatibility questions, I’d leave it up to add-on authors to answer those.

In regards to Screen Curtain, I think it should be kept in legacy for a few more months.

[...]

Noelia Ruiz

Hi Adriani, about eMule add-on, I released version4.0 on Fabruary this year:
https://github.com/nvdaes/emule/releases

About the website, I think it's necessary to go on the workflow
proposed by Mesar and Reef due to the following reasons:

1. Sometimes admins put new versions of add-ons on the website though
nobody has reviewed the code, and this is happening long time ago,
since they are just a few people who can review code and a coordinated
procedure to decide about old add-ons, modifications or what to review
maybe good to maintain the increasing number of add-ons. Also, the
translations system for add-ons has suffered errors due to templates
used by authors or the way of saving po files used by some translators
and so on (I cannot specify the error related to each add-on that has
being affected).
Also, some of us try to inform to mailing lists of our languages about
add.ons, but this is not easy since this list is commited primarily to
human communication and the old used list for commits was broken due
to changes on Bitbucket. So we can loose messages and I think that the
workflows proposed by Mesar and Reef should be continued to get a
better coordination and automatic test to make easy the work of
reviewers.
Personally I think I am not able to manage these questions since the
number of add-ons is big and there are just a few people reviewing
code, and reviews aren't easy to find since they are not register in a
known way, but made on the listwhich has a lot of emails.
So I think I will wait until the proposed workflows can be managed in
a better way.
Comments are appreciated.
Regards