Topics

Addon Proposal: translate

Yannick PLASSIARD

Dear all,

Here is a quick add-on I created to automatically translate any spoken text to the NVDA's set language.
It can translate any text, from Web page content to games, as long as NVDA is used to speak the text.
You can find the addon's release here:

And the repository link:

Thanks for your reviews,
--
--
Yannick PLASSIARD
plassiardyannick@...

Ângelo Abrantes

Hi,

I'm trying to test with this add-ohn, but on my computer, with windows7 pro, and the last alpha version of NVDA, I can only turn the translation on and off.

How can I choose languages?

Would I have to do anything else, after having activated the translation, so that the add-on would read me the translated words?

Thank you.

Ângelo Abrantes

Às 11:10 de 05-12-2018, Yannick PLASSIARD escreveu:
Dear all,

Here is a quick add-on I created to automatically translate any spoken text to the NVDA's set language.
It can translate any text, from Web page content to games, as long as NVDA is used to speak the text.

And the repository link:

Thanks for your reviews,
--
--
Yannick PLASSIARD
plassiardyannick@...

Sem vírus. www.avast.com

André-Abush Clause

Hello,

I receive this error continually when I try to activate translations:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\aac\AppData\Roaming\nvda\addons\translate\globalPlugins\translate\__init__.py", line 52, in translate
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'language'

I'm running on NVDA alpha-16363,ddab676f.

Le 05/12/2018 à 12:10, Yannick PLASSIARD a écrit :

Dear all,

And the repository link:

Thanks for your reviews,
--
--
Yannick PLASSIARD
plassiardyannick@...

Yannick PLASSIARD

Hi,
The chosen language cannot be changed for now, it is based on NVDA's language which can be set in Preferences.
I'll fix the error, thanks for reporting this

Le mer. 5 déc. 2018 à 14:43, André-Abush Clause via Groups.Io <listes=andreabc.net@groups.io> a écrit :

Hello,

File "C:\Users\aac\AppData\Roaming\nvda\addons\translate\globalPlugins\translate\__init__.py", line 52, in translate

Dear all,

And the repository link:

Thanks for your reviews,
--
--
Yannick PLASSIARD
plassiardyannick@...

--
--
Yannick PLASSIARD
plassiardyannick@...

Yannick PLASSIARD

Hi;
The error has been fixed and a new release (2018.12) is on air.

Direct link:

Thanks 

Le mer. 5 déc. 2018 à 15:07, Yannick PLASSIARD <plassiardyannick@...> a écrit :

Hi,
The chosen language cannot be changed for now, it is based on NVDA's language which can be set in Preferences.

Le mer. 5 déc. 2018 à 14:43, André-Abush Clause via Groups.Io <listes=andreabc.net@groups.io> a écrit :

Hello,

Dear all,

And the repository link:

Thanks for your reviews,
--
--
Yannick PLASSIARD
plassiardyannick@...

--
--
Yannick PLASSIARD
plassiardyannick@...

--
--
Yannick PLASSIARD
plassiardyannick@...

Hi,

Basic review results:

• License and copyright: pass
  • Documentation: pass (with comments)
  • Security: pass
  • User experience: pass (with concerns)

Comments:

• I think it is okay to include a library licensed under MIT license inside GPL modules. But you might want to state where other libraries came from on the top of the __init__ file for the global plugin so others won’t be confused as to their origin (urllib2 and others came from Python 2 standard library, by the way).
  • You might want to greatly expand the readme so users can understand how to use the add-on, including commands and possible issues.
  • With translations enabled, users may notice slight delay between navigating and speaking. There are other major bugs (see below).
  • If using File Explorer with translation enabled, NVDA does not announce certain file names, mostly files with .py extension. We may need to test other scenarios besides text.
  • In some cases, an attribute error is raised by a third-party module that is looking for an encoding method. I advise not modifying the third-=party module but your add-on code to handle possible exceptions.
  • You might want to shorten the add-on summary (buildVars) to the name of the add-on.

By the way, this add-on is not ready for Python 3 due to mixture of leading tabs and spaces, which Python 3 is very strict about (Python 3 will insist on sticking to one style). I’ll do some work from my end and see if I can discover other issues under Python 3.

I’m assigning yellow light to this add-on (usable to some extent but outstanding bugs remain, hence caution). For those using the add-on, please don’t use it in production environments, and keep the bug reports and other comments coming.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io> On Behalf Of Yannick PLASSIARD
Sent: Wednesday, December 5, 2018 3:11 AM
To: nvda-addons@groups.io
Subject: [nvda-addons] Addon Proposal: translate

Dear all,

And the repository link:

Thanks for your reviews,

--

--

Yannick PLASSIARD

plassiardyannick@...

Yannick PLASSIARD

Hi Joseph,

Many thanks for your comments, I'll do my best to take them into account as soon as possible.

Yannick

Le mer. 5 déc. 2018 à 16:30, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> a écrit :

Hi,

Basic review results:

Comments:

• I think it is okay to include a library licensed under MIT license inside GPL modules. But you might want to state where other libraries came from on the top of the __init__ file for the global plugin so others won’t be confused as to their origin (urllib2 and others came from Python 2 standard library, by the way).
  • You might want to greatly expand the readme so users can understand how to use the add-on, including commands and possible issues.
  • With translations enabled, users may notice slight delay between navigating and speaking. There are other major bugs (see below).
  • If using File Explorer with translation enabled, NVDA does not announce certain file names, mostly files with .py extension. We may need to test other scenarios besides text.
  • In some cases, an attribute error is raised by a third-party module that is looking for an encoding method. I advise not modifying the third-=party module but your add-on code to handle possible exceptions.
  • You might want to shorten the add-on summary (buildVars) to the name of the add-on.

By the way, this add-on is not ready for Python 3 due to mixture of leading tabs and spaces, which Python 3 is very strict about (Python 3 will insist on sticking to one style). I’ll do some work from my end and see if I can discover other issues under Python 3.

I’m assigning yellow light to this add-on (usable to some extent but outstanding bugs remain, hence caution). For those using the add-on, please don’t use it in production environments, and keep the bug reports and other comments coming.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io> On Behalf Of Yannick PLASSIARD

Dear all,

And the repository link:

Thanks for your reviews,

--

--

Yannick PLASSIARD

plassiardyannick@...

Hi,

Follow-up to Python 3 tests: no, this add-on is definitely not ready for Python 3 because it uses Python 2 standard library modules. One way to get around this is to create two folders inside the global plugin folder and import modules from correct folder based on Python version in use (this is the strategy used in Resource Monitor as psutil is available for Python 2 and 3, and I import the correct contents based on Python version in use).

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, December 5, 2018 7:30 AM
To: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io; nvda-addons@groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda-addons] Addon Proposal: translate

Hi,

Basic review results:

Comments:

Cheers,

Joseph

Dear all,

And the repository link:

Thanks for your reviews,

--

--

Yannick PLASSIARD

plassiardyannick@...

Hi,

One more thing: don’t worry about making this add-on Python y at this time; however, there will come a time where the community will be asked to port their add-ons to Python 3.

Also, this add-on won’t work on future NVDA releases if add-on compatibility checks are introduced in NVDA Core (which can happen anytime), and if that happens, users must be told to manually enable this add-on.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, December 5, 2018 7:49 AM

Hi,

Follow-up to Python 3 tests: no, this add-on is definitely not ready for Python 3 because it uses Python 2 standard library modules. One way to get around this is to create two folders inside the global plugin folder and import modules from correct folder based on Python version in use (this is the strategy used in Resource Monitor as psutil is available for Python 2 and 3, and I import the correct contents based on Python version in use).

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Wednesday, December 5, 2018 7:30 AM

Hi,

Basic review results:

Comments:

Cheers,

Joseph

Dear all,

And the repository link:

Thanks for your reviews,

--

--

Yannick PLASSIARD

plassiardyannick@...

Ângelo Abrantes

Impossible to install the add-on: missing file or incorrect format.

Thanks

Ângelo Abrantes

Às 14:22 de 05-12-2018, Yannick PLASSIARD escreveu:
Hi;

Direct link:

Thanks 

Hi,

Hello,

Dear all,

And the repository link:

Thanks for your reviews,
--
--
Yannick PLASSIARD
plassiardyannick@...

--
--
Yannick PLASSIARD
plassiardyannick@...

--
--
Yannick PLASSIARD
plassiardyannick@...

Sem vírus. www.avast.com

André-Abush Clause

I get another issue now (tested with commit 66818b21):

File "C:\Users\aac\AppData\Roaming\nvda\addons\translate\globalPlugins\translate\mtranslate\core.py", line 72, in translate
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'encode'
Le 05/12/2018 à 15:22, Yannick PLASSIARD a écrit :

Hi;

Direct link:

Thanks 

Hi,

Hello,

Dear all,

And the repository link:

Thanks for your reviews,
--
--
Yannick PLASSIARD
plassiardyannick@...

--
--
Yannick PLASSIARD
plassiardyannick@...

--
--
Yannick PLASSIARD
plassiardyannick@...

Bernd Dorer

Hi Yannick,

Could you proviede us a working download link? I tried both links you send but noone worked. Your github-release page doesn't contain any releases.

Thanks and best regards

Bernd

Am 05.12.2018 um 12:10 schrieb Yannick PLASSIARD:

Dear all,

Here is a quick add-on I created to automatically translate any spoken text
to the NVDA's set language.
It can translate any text, from Web page content to games, as long as NVDA
is used to speak the text.
https://github.com/yplassiard/nvda-translate/releases

And the repository link:
https://github.com/yplassiard/nvda-translate/

Thanks for your reviews,

Michal Suchý

Hello. I wantet to try Translate addon, but I do not find download link. Can you give link for download addon please? Thanks, Michal.

Yannick PLASSIARD

Dear all,
here is the direct download link for the latest translate Release:

Note however that this release does not yet address Joseph's comments.

Happy testing,
Yannick

Le dim. 9 déc. 2018 à 19:36, Michal Suchý <suchy.michal@...> a écrit :

Hello. I wantet to try Translate addon, but I do not find download link. Can you give link for download addon please? Thanks, Michal.

--
--
Yannick PLASSIARD
plassiardyannick@...

Cagri Dogan

Hi, getting this error: 404 “This is not the web page you are looking for”

çağrı

From: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io> on behalf of Yannick PLASSIARD <plassiardyannick@...>
Sent: Monday, December 10, 2018 11:16 AM
To: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io

Dear all,

Happy testing,
Yannick

--
--
Yannick PLASSIARD
plassiardyannick@...

Yannick PLASSIARD

Hi,
Sorry, made a listake creating the release.
Here is the link:

Yannick

Le lun. 10 déc. 2018 à 12:24, Cagri Dogan <cagrid@...> a écrit :

çağrı

From: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io> on behalf of Yannick PLASSIARD <plassiardyannick@...>

Dear all,

Happy testing,
Yannick

--
--
Yannick PLASSIARD
plassiardyannick@...

--
--
Yannick PLASSIARD
plassiardyannick@...

Rémy Ruiz

Hi,

Release v2018.12 beta 1 · yplassiard/nvda-translate · GitHub
https://github.com/yplassiard/nvda-translate/releases/tag/v2018.12b1

Search:
translate-2018.12.nvda-addon note ; (clic here to download).
41.5 KB
directe link;
https://github.com/yplassiard/nvda-translate/releases/download/v2018.12b1/translate-2018.12.nvda-addon

(past this link in your your Web browser).
Good translation!
Cheers since France.
Rémy
Le 10/12/2018 à 12:24, Cagri Dogan a écrit :

çağrı

Dear all,

Happy testing,
Yannick

--
--
Yannick PLASSIARD
plassiardyannick@...

Michal Suchý

Hello. Can I set language of translation? Or it is depend on language, which is as system language? Or language of Windows 10 OCR? Thanks, Michal.

Nikola Jovic

Hello. This will be a great addon, when the following error is fixed:

ERROR - eventHandler.executeEvent (20:02:54.456):

error executing event: gainFocus on <NVDAObjects.IAccessible.IAccessible object at 0x050E5C10> with extra args of {}

File "eventHandler.pyc", line 155, in executeEvent

File "eventHandler.pyc", line 92, in __init__

File "eventHandler.pyc", line 100, in next

File "NVDAObjects\__init__.pyc", line 961, in event_gainFocus

File "NVDAObjects\__init__.pyc", line 849, in reportFocus

File "speech.pyc", line 401, in speakObject

File "speech.pyc", line 335, in speakObjectProperties

File "C:\Users\wweni\AppData\Roaming\nvda\addons\translate\globalPlugins\translate\__init__.py", line 118, in getSpeechTextForProperties

UnboundLocalError: local variable 'roleText' referenced before assignment

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Monday, December 10, 2018 12:40 PM

Hi,

Sorry, made a listake creating the release.

Here is the link:

Yannick

Le lun. 10 déc. 2018 à 12:24, Cagri Dogan <cagrid@...> a écrit :

Dear all,

Happy testing,

Yannick

--

--

Yannick PLASSIARD

plassiardyannick@...

--

--

Yannick PLASSIARD

plassiardyannick@...

Locutor Antonio Cezar

You have to set the language of your NVDA. But you can not leave the default system language checked. You have to define something like English United States, for example. Note that if your connection is a bit slow, NVDA will slow down or Stoping. On my connection, which is 100 MBPS, it works fine, but I tested it on a connection that promised to be 15 MBPS, and NVDA was completely stuck ...

Por favor, assine nossa petição no link abaixo, compartilhe com seus amigos, e colabore com a gente! Em favor do Braille funcional no Android!

https://secure.avaaz.org/po/petition/Google_Inc_Talkback_Development_Team_Google_Disability_Support_Team_PRECISAMOS_DO_BRAILLE_NO_ANDROID_TAMBEM/

Michal Suchý escreveu:

Hello. Can I set language of translation? Or it is depend on language, which is as system language? Or language of Windows 10 OCR? Thanks, Michal.