Topics

Addon Compatibility Phrasing

Bhavya shah

Dear NVDA Add-ons community,

The suggestion I am about to make originates from an observation I
made when going through the Phonetic Punctuation add-on page at
https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/phoneticPunctuation.en.html.
One of the lines mentioned here is "• NVDA compatibility: 2019.3."
* Prima faci, it seems like NVDA version 2019.3 is the only version
for which this add-on is designed. That is the direct implication of
this phrasing. However, my intuition says that this is unlikely to be
true.
* Perhaps this add-on is compatible with NVDA version 2019.3 and later
or NVDA version 2019.3 and earlier. If it is either of these, then it
is imperative that "and earlier" or "and later" be specified.

I have not browsed the pages of enough add-ons to yet to comment on
whether this is a general problem, or if it is specific to this one
add-on. Furthermore, if my intuition is incorrect and Phonetic
Punctuation, in fact, works only with NVDA version 2019.3, then what I
am pointing out is a non-issue. However, if that is not the case, I
sincerely request add-on community members to consider using clearer
phrasing to indicate compatibility on the NVDA community add-ons
portal.

Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@...

This information comes from add-on authors who have final authority on their add-ons. Not all add-ons listed on community add-ons site exhibits this phrasing - mine does include compatibility range statement. For Phonetic Punctuation, the best person to clarify compatibility status is Tony.

[...]

Often the issue is that the author does not have his crystal ball around, so cannot possibly know if something in a future nvda might break it, Also he may not have facilities to check a long way back in history either, particularly with the Python 3 migration.
Brian

bglists@...
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

Cyrille

Hello

Also the last date of the range is the last tested version, but not necessarily the last compatible version.
Writing compatibility as a range as done presently in many add-ons and in the add-on template may let some think that many add-ons are not compatible with 2020.1 but only with 2019.3.
Cheers,

Cyrille

[...]

Hi, since NV Access announced his intention to work in the translation
system and add-ons review and publication when Nvda 2020.2 beta work
is done, I think we should propose that compatibility statement is
reviewed as part of the documentation. For example, if an author
declares an add-on compatible with NVDA 2019.3 but NVDA 2020.1 doesn't
break compatibility, reviewers should suggest to declare
compatibility: 2019.3 or later. Even, a documentation template based
on manifest.ini may be filled for this if possible.
I am not sure if we should suggest this in add-on store repo, though
maybe better to wait for NV Access to start working on this. If they
work on the system as a whole, maybe a chance for the website too. I
agree with Joseph in the fact that authors have aucthority about
add-ons; anyway, websites or stores using a server which doesn't
belong to us may set policies about format of documentation and
requirements for consistency, so that visitors know how to search and
the criteria followed for the website, just when someone sends a
publication to a newspaper, blog etc.
Just my two cents for this.