Topics

Add-on Updater/channel specification: stable channel must be defined as "None"

Hi all,

A follow-up to my earlier announcement about Add-on Updater 19.02.2: there is at least one add-on that defines stable update channel as “stable”. If you do that, Add-on Updater will be confused when trying to check for existence of “stable” channel when in fact there may not be one. So when defining stable channel, please leave it blank (None). Currently Enhanced Aria is affected by this “stable channel definition”.

I’ll let affected add-ons pass for now (by editing the server file). This window will close on February 15, 2019 or two weeks after NVDA 2019.1 beta 1 is released, whichever happens later.

Also, one thing I should clarify: NVDA itself will alert you when add-on manifest has errors. So if you try to install updates for add-ons that has only year.major for compatibility flags, NVDA itself will refuse to continue with add-on installation. If you or users of your add-ons encounter this, please respond ASAP.

Its a little annoying that this has been changed with so little notice in my view.
We could by March be in a situation where half the users are stuck on the current version and the rest on the new one simply because of confusion over what is and what is not compatible with the nvda they have. Assuming no huge changes between now and the release of 2019.1, many of the so called incompatible add ons will in fact work simply by adding some lines to the manifest files in the add ons folders settings.

It will be awfully tempting to just go ahead and do it. :-)
Brian

bglists@...
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

You don't have to change a lot of them if they didn't come with
compatibility flags in the first place. But yes, for those that are shipping
with compatibility flags, it'll require a lot of coordination to make sure
add-ons are working as advertised later.

[...]

See my comments in the user list.I see a major issue for users if the current situation ends up in the next nvda release without some changes to the nvda policy.
Brian

bglists@...
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

I'm more concerned about the fact that not everyone is prepared to deal with
potential mess once beta ships. For this reason, unlike last December, I'm
more proactive in giving early warnings.

[...]

Yes but what do the terms mean? some add ons have none, some stable and some nothing at all, I just looked at about ten or so.
Brian

bglists@...
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

I haven't been following this discussion at all, so please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. But this seems like an implementation detail which add-on authors shouldn't have to necessarily care about. You say:

Add-on Updater will be confused when trying to check for existence of
“stable” channel when in fact there may not be one

When would there not be a stable channel, and how does changing the channel to None fix this? As a newcomer to the discussion, I'm bewildered. I don't want others to feel the same.

https://twitter.com/JamesScholes

Hi,
Yes, it is an implementation detail, and also linked to how add-ons are
listed on add-ons server (PHP dictionary, in this case). For many, you don't
have to specify add-on update channel at all, as it is set to nothing (None)
by default, denoting stable releases.