Topics

Add-on Updater and Control Usage Assistant 20.04 #addonrelease

Hi all,

Originally, I planned to release all 20.04 releases in one day, but realized that this can cause issues, so decided to split add-on releases in waves.

Add-on Updater and Control Usage Assistant 20.04 will be available in about an hour from now. Changes include:

  • Add-on Updater: resolves an issue where users could not see “check for add-on updates” option in NVDA tools menu after installing the add-on.
  • Control Usage Assistant: localization updates.

As always, you can check for add-on updates with the aptly named Add-on Updater add-on.

For reviewers: no review version for Control Usage Assistant as it includes localization and manifest updates, and no review branch for Add-on Updater will be sent until summer.

Originally, I planned to release all 20.04 releases in one day, but realized that this can cause issues, so decided to split add-on releases in waves.

Add-on Updater and Control Usage Assistant 20.04 will be available in about an hour from now. Changes include:

  • Add-on Updater: resolves an issue where users could not see “check for add-on updates” option in NVDA tools menu after installing the add-on.
  • Control Usage Assistant: localization updates.

As always, you can check for add-on updates with the aptly named Add-on Updater add-on.

Cyrille

Hello Joseph

I have found an issue on add-on updater. I am trying to install it and run it on NVDA running from source. However, at NVDA startup, I get the following error:

ERROR - globalPluginHandler.listPlugins (17:37:16.769) - MainThread (55696):
Error importing global plugin addonUpdater
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "globalPluginHandler.py", line 23, in listPlugins
    plugin = importlib.import_module("globalPlugins.%s" % name, package="globalPlugins").GlobalPlugin
  File "C:\Users\Cyrille\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37-32\lib\importlib\__init__.py", line 127, in import_module
    return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1006, in _gcd_import
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 983, in _find_and_load
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 967, in _find_and_load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 677, in _load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 728, in exec_module
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 219, in _call_with_frames_removed
  File "userConfig\addons\addonUpdater\globalPlugins\addonUpdater\__init__.py", line 21, in <module>
    from . import addonGuiEx
  File "userConfig\addons\addonUpdater\globalPlugins\addonUpdater\addonGuiEx.py", line 19, in <module>
    import updateCheck
  File "updateCheck.py", line 18, in <module>
    raise RuntimeError("No update version type, update checking not supported")
RuntimeError: No update version type, update checking not supported

Is it intended or not?

Cyrille

Le 24/03/2020 à 08:15, Joseph Lee a écrit :

Hi,

For reviewers: no review version for Control Usage Assistant as it includes localization and manifest updates, and no review branch for Add-on Updater will be sent until summer.

Originally, I planned to release all 20.04 releases in one day, but realized that this can cause issues, so decided to split add-on releases in waves.

Add-on Updater and Control Usage Assistant 20.04 will be available in about an hour from now. Changes include:

  • Add-on Updater: resolves an issue where users could not see “check for add-on updates” option in NVDA tools menu after installing the add-on.
  • Control Usage Assistant: localization updates.

As always, you can check for add-on updates with the aptly named Add-on Updater add-on.

Intentional, as source code versions of NVDA does not support update checks, which Add-on Updater relies on.

Originally, I planned to release all 20.04 releases in one day, but realized that this can cause issues, so decided to split add-on releases in waves.

Add-on Updater and Control Usage Assistant 20.04 will be available in about an hour from now. Changes include:

  • Add-on Updater: resolves an issue where users could not see “check for add-on updates” option in NVDA tools menu after installing the add-on.
  • Control Usage Assistant: localization updates.

As always, you can check for add-on updates with the aptly named Add-on Updater add-on.

Cyrille

OK Thanks for answer.

It seems there is a dependancy on NVDA version to see if add-ons can update.

I can understand well why NVDA from source does not have update for itself: you just have to "git pull" or to "git checkout" the commit you want to be updated to.

However regarding add-ons update the use case is different since the add-ons installed on an NVDA running from source do not belong to version control.

If you plan to remove this dependancy in a future release and allow add-ons update, I will be glad.

Cheers,

Cyrille

Le 24/03/2020 à 17:52, Joseph Lee a écrit :

Hi,

Intentional, as source code versions of NVDA does not support update checks, which Add-on Updater relies on.

Originally, I planned to release all 20.04 releases in one day, but realized that this can cause issues, so decided to split add-on releases in waves.

Add-on Updater and Control Usage Assistant 20.04 will be available in about an hour from now. Changes include:

  • Add-on Updater: resolves an issue where users could not see “check for add-on updates” option in NVDA tools menu after installing the add-on.
  • Control Usage Assistant: localization updates.

As always, you can check for add-on updates with the aptly named Add-on Updater add-on.

The answer, unfortunately, is no. This is something beyond Add-on Updater – it is ultimately controlled by NVDA source code itself.