Add-on Updater 21.10, mandatory update for NVDA 2021.1 or later users #addonrelease

Hi all,

]Add-on Updater 21.10 is now available. Note that this is a mandatory update for NVDA 2021.1 and later and must be installed manually for now:

https://github.com/josephsl/addonUpdater/releases/download/21.10/addonUpdater-21.10.nvda-addon

This update fixes certificate error issue reported by users – the add-on will now follow the fix included in upcoming NVDA 2021.3 (alpha at the moment). I will update this thread once Add-on Updater update shows up in Add-on Updater.

severin-alex@rambler.ru

Hello Joseph!

Answer Saturday 2 October 2021 !, 04:13:07 PM:
Why do you always distort addresses and when you click in The Bat! version 9.4.3.1
there is a transition in the browser to a blank page.
https://github.com/josephsl/addon Updater / releases / download / 21.10 / addon Update
r-21.10.nvda-addon
is it possible to write the entire link of the link normally on one line. already tired.
https://github.com/josephsl/addon Updater / releases / download / 21.10 / addon Updater-21.10.nvda-addon

no direct? and the previous one is stable? in general not order! and vseravno does not want to swing why so with your links?

Joseph, I wander for nvda itself if the fix that is in 21.3 should be backported to  something like 21.2.1 or something I mean this is quite serious.

I have updated but I guess I will have to ignore nvda tryint to update itself with old addons for a bit.

On 3/10/2021 2:13 am, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi all,

]Add-on Updater 21.10 is now available. Note that this is a mandatory update for NVDA 2021.1 and later and must be installed manually for now:

https://github.com/josephsl/addonUpdater/releases/download/21.10/addonUpdater-21.10.nvda-addon

This update fixes certificate error issue reported by users – the add-on will now follow the fix included in upcoming NVDA 2021.3 (alpha at the moment). I will update this thread once Add-on Updater update shows up in Add-on Updater.

I don't think so. Think carefully about it: you have released a new version of a software that backports a fix for update check issue, but then the versions affected cannot update to the fixed version because the update check functionality itself doesn't work properly on older releases. The next best alternative is asking people to manually apply 2021.3 beta when it ships provided that the certificate update workaround didn't work for them. That's why I posted the Python Console workaround as it can deal with this without going through NVDA alpha snapshot route.

I wander if a seperate addon needs to be written as an option in settings or tools that will refresh things and just does that command maybe with a prompt to say its done.

It wouldn't be much.

On 3/10/2021 10:42 am, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

I don't think so. Think carefully about it: you have released a new version of a software that backports a fix for update check issue, but then the versions affected cannot update to the fixed version because the update check functionality itself doesn't work properly on older releases. The next best alternative is asking people to manually apply 2021.3 beta when it ships provided that the certificate update workaround didn't work for them. That's why I posted the Python Console workaround as it can deal with this without going through NVDA alpha snapshot route.

Someone proposed this solution in a GitHub post yesterday – the proposed module (add-on installer) will update Windows root certificates and then raise an error. At first glance, this approach may provide a temporary solution, but when we look at the ultimate cause (Windows not knowing that certificates have expired and Python not detecting this), it doesn’t provide the actual solution. The actual solution involves:

  1. Catch the correct exception: we’ve been catching Python 2 version of SSL error for many years.
  2. Let Windows update certificates store.

Think about the first item, as that is the bigger factor here. This raises a follow-up question: are there parts of NVDA and add-on code that relies on Python 2 assumptions and internals rather than that of Python 3? If yes, the issue users have experienced is just a tip of the iceberg.

As for the add-on proposal: is Windows root certificates something new computer users can understand easily? Some might, but others might not. For this reason, personally I’m a bit skeptical of this proposal. But there is a bigger issue to worry about: how do we get people to upgrade to NVDA 2021.3 smoothly? I expect that’s something NV Access may need to figure out by the time 2021.3 beta 1 ships.

I wander if a seperate addon needs to be written as an option in settings or tools that will refresh things and just does that command maybe with a prompt to say its done.

It wouldn't be much.

On 3/10/2021 10:42 am, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

I don't think so. Think carefully about it: you have released a new version of a software that backports a fix for update check issue, but then the versions affected cannot update to the fixed version because the update check functionality itself doesn't work properly on older releases. The next best alternative is asking people to manually apply 2021.3 beta when it ships provided that the certificate update workaround didn't work for them. That's why I posted the Python Console workaround as it can deal with this without going through NVDA alpha snapshot route.

Hmmm is there any way to manually initiate the process to update windows certs I mean we know its done automatically within windows but I have not found how to do this on demand.

Well technically I have but there must be an easier way to do this.

On 3/10/2021 10:59 am, Joseph Lee wrote:

[...]

Add-on Updater 21.10 is being pushed to Add-on Updater users. Note that if you receive errors when checking for add-on updates, you must install Add-on Updater 21.10 manually.