Add-on store feature

Reef Turner

Hi everyone,

We are making our early work on an "in NVDA" add-on store publicly available.
For details please see PR #13985

This is still in the early stages, it allows browsing and installing add-ons from the addon-datastore repository (https://github.com/nvaccess/addon-datastore).
In order to have add-ons presented in the NVDA add-on Store, submissions of add-on releases must be made via that repository.
We intend to implement the basic use-cases for updating add-ons before this is merged into NVDA and included in a release.
The intention is to integrate all features from the add-on manager dialog, into the add-on store dialog, eventually allowing the removal of the add-on manager dialog.
Side-loading add-ons will continue to be supported.

As this is still early work, there are some known issues, these are listed on the PR.
We welcome feedback on this implementation, please do try it out, and supply any feedback directly with NV Access, either on the GitHub pull request or via info@... so that we can rely on receiving it, and address it promptly.

Thanks,
Reef (NV Access)

cool, wow so we will be like android now<grin>

I have noticed that addons like tony's enhancements have never been updated at all to their latest versions even though I did put a request to tony for submission ages back.

And addon updater latest even though it  was cued more than a couple weeks ago still has not made it into the addon feed.

On 4/08/2022 8:59 pm, Reef Turner wrote:

[...]

Noelia Ruiz

Thanks. Since you're requesting feedback even via info@...,
easier for people who do not use GitHub, I'll share this in Spanish
(maybe on a website and on a mailing list...), to get more feedback
from users of different languages.

<https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/pull/13985>

[...]

Hi Noelia,

Please mention this is not ready for a non-developer audience. At this stage local code modifications are required because the API does not yet support unreleased versions of NVDA.

Reef Turner
Software Developer - NV Access

On Thu, 4 Aug 2022 at 19:12, Noelia Ruiz <nrm1977@...> wrote:
Thanks. Since you're requesting feedback even via info@...,
easier for people who do not use GitHub, I'll share this in Spanish
(maybe on a website and on a mailing list...), to get more feedback
from users of different languages.

> cool, wow so we will be like android now<grin>
>
> I have noticed that addons like tony's enhancements have never been
> updated at all to their latest versions even though I did put a request
> to tony for submission ages back.
>
> And addon updater latest even though it  was cued more than a couple
> weeks ago still has not made it into the addon feed.
>

> On 4/08/2022 8:59 pm, Reef Turner wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> We are making our early work on an "in NVDA" add-on store publicly
>> available.
>> For details please see PR #13985
>> <https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/pull/13985>
>>
>> This is still in the early stages, it allows browsing and installing
>> add-ons from the addon-datastore repository
>> (https://github.com/nvaccess/addon-datastore).
>> In order to have add-ons presented in the NVDA add-on Store,
>> submissions of add-on releases must be made via that repository.
>> We intend to implement the basic use-cases for updating add-ons before
>> this is merged into NVDA and included in a release.
>> The intention is to integrate all features from the add-on manager
>> dialog, into the add-on store dialog, eventually allowing the removal
>> of the add-on manager dialog.
>> Side-loading add-ons will continue to be supported.
>>
>> As this is still early work, there are some known issues, these are
>> listed on the PR.
>> We welcome feedback on this implementation, please do try it out, and
>> supply any feedback directly with NV Access, either on the GitHub pull
>> request or via info@... so that we can rely on receiving it,
>> and address it promptly.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Reef (NV Access)

Hi,

I assume NVDA users (on a specific forum) should be invited provided that they are willing to share feedback directly?

Regarding Add-on Updater: version 22.08 is already out. As for responding to this PR, not yet as it is in early stages. Only after the first part gets integrated into NVDA master branch will I do something from Add-on Updater.

Please mention this is not ready for a non-developer audience. At this stage local code modifications are required because the API does not yet support unreleased versions of NVDA.

Reef Turner
Software Developer - NV Access

On Thu, 4 Aug 2022 at 19:12, Noelia Ruiz <nrm1977@...> wrote:

Thanks. Since you're requesting feedback even via info@...,
easier for people who do not use GitHub, I'll share this in Spanish
(maybe on a website and on a mailing list...), to get more feedback
from users of different languages.

> cool, wow so we will be like android now<grin>
>
> I have noticed that addons like tony's enhancements have never been
> updated at all to their latest versions even though I did put a request
> to tony for submission ages back.
>
> And addon updater latest even though it  was cued more than a couple
> weeks ago still has not made it into the addon feed.
>

> On 4/08/2022 8:59 pm, Reef Turner wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> We are making our early work on an "in NVDA" add-on store publicly
>> available.
>> For details please see PR #13985
>> <https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/pull/13985>
>>
>> This is still in the early stages, it allows browsing and installing
>> add-ons from the addon-datastore repository
>> (https://github.com/nvaccess/addon-datastore).
>> In order to have add-ons presented in the NVDA add-on Store,
>> submissions of add-on releases must be made via that repository.
>> We intend to implement the basic use-cases for updating add-ons before
>> this is merged into NVDA and included in a release.
>> The intention is to integrate all features from the add-on manager
>> dialog, into the add-on store dialog, eventually allowing the removal
>> of the add-on manager dialog.
>> Side-loading add-ons will continue to be supported.
>>
>> As this is still early work, there are some known issues, these are
>> listed on the PR.
>> We welcome feedback on this implementation, please do try it out, and
>> supply any feedback directly with NV Access, either on the GitHub pull
>> request or via info@... so that we can rely on receiving it,
>> and address it promptly.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Reef (NV Access)

Noelia Ruiz

@Reef, I"ll mention it. I"ve commented this here before posting info in case you want to prevent from doing it or something.

Enviado desde mi iPhone

El 4 ago 2022, a las 15:34, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> escribió:

Hi,

I assume NVDA users (on a specific forum) should be invited provided that they are willing to share feedback directly?

Regarding Add-on Updater: version 22.08 is already out. As for responding to this PR, not yet as it is in early stages. Only after the first part gets integrated into NVDA master branch will I do something from Add-on Updater.

Please mention this is not ready for a non-developer audience. At this stage local code modifications are required because the API does not yet support unreleased versions of NVDA.

Reef Turner
Software Developer - NV Access

On Thu, 4 Aug 2022 at 19:12, Noelia Ruiz <nrm1977@...> wrote:

Thanks. Since you're requesting feedback even via info@...,
easier for people who do not use GitHub, I'll share this in Spanish
(maybe on a website and on a mailing list...), to get more feedback
from users of different languages.

> cool, wow so we will be like android now<grin>
>
> I have noticed that addons like tony's enhancements have never been
> updated at all to their latest versions even though I did put a request
> to tony for submission ages back.
>
> And addon updater latest even though it  was cued more than a couple
> weeks ago still has not made it into the addon feed.
>

> On 4/08/2022 8:59 pm, Reef Turner wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> We are making our early work on an "in NVDA" add-on store publicly
>> available.
>> For details please see PR #13985
>> <https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/pull/13985>
>>
>> This is still in the early stages, it allows browsing and installing
>> add-ons from the addon-datastore repository
>> (https://github.com/nvaccess/addon-datastore).
>> In order to have add-ons presented in the NVDA add-on Store,
>> submissions of add-on releases must be made via that repository.
>> We intend to implement the basic use-cases for updating add-ons before
>> this is merged into NVDA and included in a release.
>> The intention is to integrate all features from the add-on manager
>> dialog, into the add-on store dialog, eventually allowing the removal
>> of the add-on manager dialog.
>> Side-loading add-ons will continue to be supported.
>>
>> As this is still early work, there are some known issues, these are
>> listed on the PR.
>> We welcome feedback on this implementation, please do try it out, and
>> supply any feedback directly with NV Access, either on the GitHub pull
>> request or via info@... so that we can rely on receiving it,
>> and address it promptly.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Reef (NV Access)

Brian's Mail list account

Hi, I still find adding comments to those issues very hard to do. However I can put a few suggestions here and if somebody more github savvy than I wishes to put these in feel free.
Perhaps when a breaking nvda change occurs, the authors of the affected add ons should be be sent emails, say once a month about this, as they may not have been watching all the time.
I'm assuming that if an add on can still work if its manifest is changed, and this is done, it will still be acceptable to do so pending an official version?

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.(Virgin media)
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

We are making our early work on an "in NVDA" add-on store publicly available.
For details please see PR #13985 ( https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/pull/13985 )

[...]

Just a reminder, this work is not ready for general users. Feedback from add-on developers and NVDA developers is preferred at this stage.

On Sat, 6 Aug 2022 at 00:28, Brian's Mail list account via groups.io <bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Sean Budd (NV Access)

Hi Brian,

We are planning to announce a read-only mailing list for NVDA Add-on API announcements very soon.

Sean Budd (NV Access)

Hi Brian,