Topics

About suggestions for improvements to the add-on readFeeds, please... Thanks.

Locutor Antonio Cezar

Hello. I am using add-on readFeeds and I wonder if you can not include talks about the description of each feed item to be spoken after the title of the article, please, because knowledge of the description of the contents of each item feed can help a lot in deciding whether it or not access the full article via browser. It would also be interesting the possibility to individually delete each item in the feed, with the delete key on the keyboard, for example, is because it has already been read, either because they do not interest their reading, among other specifics ... Since always, my most heartfelt gratitude for Noelia Ruiz Martínez, Mesar Hameed for dedication in developing and maintaining this add-oon... Thanks.

--

Locutor Antonio Cezar

Noelia Ruiz

Thanks Antonio, especially for remembering contributors of this add-on. I will look what can be done.
Thanks

Enviado desde mi iPhone

El 19 ago 2020, a las 20:24, Locutor Antonio Cezar <antoniocezarlocutor@...> escribió:

Hello. I am using add-on readFeeds and I wonder if you can not include talks about the description of each feed item to be spoken after the title of the article, please, because knowledge of the description of the contents of each item feed can help a lot in deciding whether it or not access the full article via browser. It would also be interesting the possibility to individually delete each item in the feed, with the delete key on the keyboard, for example, is because it has already been read, either because they do not interest their reading, among other specifics ... Since always, my most heartfelt gratitude for Noelia Ruiz Martínez, Mesar Hameed for dedication in developing and maintaining this add-oon... Thanks.

--

Locutor Antonio Cezar

Locutor Antonio Cezar

Waiting... Thanks you.

Locutor Antonio Cezar

Em 19/08/2020 16:27, Noelia Ruiz escreveu:

[...]

Akash Kakkar

Hi Noelia,
Is this addon still being maintained?
Asking because when I last tried it, it was not working at all.

On 8/20/20, Locutor Antonio Cezar <antoniocezarlocutor@...> wrote:
[...]

Yes. It's working perfectly. By the way, hoping to help in some way, though sincerely believe that Noelia already know this, I would like to inform that feeds basically follow the following code hierarchy as the RSS version:

<rss>

<channel>

<item>
<title>Article Title</title>
<description>Article Sumary</description>
<link>https://www (Article URL)</link>
<pubDate></pubDate>
</item>
<channel>

</rss>

or
<feed>

<entry>

<title type="html">Article Title</title>

<link href="https://www (Article URL)"></link>
<published></published>
<updated></updated>
<content type="html">Article Sumary</content>

</entry>

</feed>

Thanks.

Locutor Antonio Cezar

Em 20/08/2020 03:01, Akash Kakkar escreveu:

[...]

Hi Akash and Antonio, as Antonio says, the add-on is maintained and
should work. Anyway, maybe that some feeds are not recognized properly
due to limitations in xml Python library, and of course, in the way
that I implement this feature. Sometimes people has mailed me saying
that particular feeds don't work, and looking at the feed validation
service at W3C, we discovered that the feeds were valid , but the
recommendation of the validation service was to include some features
to increment support for a wide range of feed readers.
The add-on is maintained, but I have stopped working on add-ons until
the translation system is fixed and we can define how to manage the
add-ons website. I stopped posting add-ons created by other authors,
and of course also main, with the exception of a development version
of Emoticons, where a bug was reported, and I posted it on the
development section of the website though it should be stable now. But
I prefer to work with clear rules and infrastructure.
So my add-ons are on my GitHub account:
https://github.com/nvdaes

Please note that nvdaes is writen without symbols, since there are
accounts with a similar name and this may be confusing.

@antonio: where should we implement the features you're requesting? In
the list opened from the tools menu or in the list managed with
keystrokes without a gui, corresponding to the feed set as default? I
think that the last option would be better or at least easier to
implement, since the list opened via the tools menu is refreshed each
time it's opened, so it doesn't make too much sense to delete articles
there... What do you think?
Also, the summary element is not always required in atom entries:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4287
We can check if it's present, but may not be the case for all atom feeds.
Finally, here is a tutorial about RSS, what I was going to share
before seeing your explanation about feeds:
https://www.w3schools.com/xml/xml_rss.asp

<antoniocezarlocutor@...>:

[...]

Thanks Noelia, I'll take a look at your addons

<antoniocezarlocutor@...>:
[...]

Hi, Noelia. If the feeds are always updated when you open the menu NVDA tools, I'm not even need to delete the items I read, while delete what is always read can contribute to better organization of the items that are still waiting reading. My biggest concern is I have the same access to the summary of each item as it is with this summary I can make a decision on the most important items for a possible reading. Another important thing also is that while it is not recommended for the best programming techniques, some feeds include HTML tags in their codes, which is represented in special characters like this: &lt;b&gt;(Bold, for example)&lt;/b&gt; which is read as <b>(Bold, for example)</b>. I do not know if there is an easy solution to implement to solve this, but if it existed, would make it much more enjoyable reading, although it is still possible to live with these code noises... Very quarreled.

Locutor Antonio Cezar

<antoniocezarlocutor@...>:
[...]

Hello, Noelia. Already asking many apologies for the comments, I found another problem in the add-on ReadFeed: It does not show the items in a entry order date and hour and minutes on feed, showing so random oldest entries in the middle of the newest entries, the which ultimately disrupt a little more organization of feeds that have been read, especially if you can not delete the feeds by which the reader no longer has interest. If you can look at it, please, I also will be very grateful... Thank you.

Locutor Antonio Cezar

<antoniocezarlocutor@...>:
[...]

Hello, the list of articles is refreshed when pressing the button to
show one of the channels from the Feeds option, found under the tools
menu. I think it's better to implement this feature for the feed set
as default, since the list of articles can be viewed without
refreshing it. Just if it's empty it is refreshed when we don't use
the gui but gestures like contron+shift+NVDA+i, +o and u..
About the summary or description, we could add a gesture to show it on
demand for the default feed if you agree, since showing the title and
the summary for each item in the list may not be comfortable visually
or to be read in braille. It can be shown in the about article button,
where we show the link.
About the order and the weird code, I could take a look if you provide
me examples with the link to the feed, to see if the problem is in the
feed itself. In this case, I may try to fix it from the add-on, but it
may not be easy or possible to fix from the add-on and in this case
should be fixed by the author of the feed. I will try to do my better
anyway.
Then, summarizing:

1. Do you agree about implementing a delete feature with a gesture
just for the default feed?
2. Should the description/summary be shown on demand with a gesture,
or do you prefer to show it in the about article button of the gui, or
in both cases? If you choose to show it in the about article button,
as you know, it makes possible to copy the title and link to the
clipboard. Should also the description/summary be copied?

I will work on this in the next days, probably the next week.

Kind regards

wrote:
[...]

Thank you. Let me know if I can help you or if you have any question.
I have more projects besides add-ons

wrote:
[...]

just for the default feed? Yes.

2. Do I prefer to show it in the about article button of the gui and Not need should also the description/summary be copied. If you prefer to implement the possibility for the user to set whether or not to show the sumary about article, I think that this setting can please all users, but either way, I'll be very grateful for his work and dedication.

I will work on this in the next days, probably the next week. It may be in your time, you should have many tasks to accomplish and I already am very grateful for their dedication.

Me examples with the link to the feed, to see if the problem is in the
feed itself.

https://www.google.com.br/alerts/feeds/07886329450464237773/1224819087894760312

Locutor Antonio Cezar

wrote:
[...]

Hi, Noelia. I was thinking here with me, and if you agree, could also read the sumary article be triggered by pressing the space bar on each item selected in the feed, for example, when it is accessed through the Tools menu, continuing enter to used to open the item directly in the browser. Maybe then solve the problem of aesthetics and difficulty of people who use a braille display. What do you think about this possibility!... Thank you.

Locutor Antonio Cezar

wrote:
[...]

Hi, Antonio: sounds good. I will see the next week.
Thanks for your feedback and suggestions.

Enviado desde mi iPhone

wrote:
[...]

Hi again, Noelia. I found a feed reader in which the user reads the title of the content of each entry in a list, but when pressed once the tab key, he navigates to the description of the respective feed entry, that because some feed items may present some links to other versions of related news, such as Google news feeds, for example. Thus, when the user navigates to the description of a feed item to the tab, it can also used a enter on each of the news links related available in the description of the feed, causing the related news links can also be opened in the default system browser. What do you think about it, please Noelia! ... For me, this alternative could also be very welcome to the add-on ReadFeed, as well as making it much more versatile add-on in terms of functionality could also solve the problem of aesthetics in the presentation structure of feeds in the add-on as well as could be a good solution to the detail of usability for users of braille displays ... Thanks.

Locutor Antonio Cezar

wrote:
[...]

James Scholes

maybe that some feeds are not recognized properly
due to limitations in xml Python library
Have you considered using this, to save yourself quite a bit of work? https://github.com/kurtmckee/feedparser

Writing RSS feed parsing code from scratch for an NVDA add-on seems like overkill.

<antoniocezarlocutor@...>:
[...]

Hello! Thank you for this suggestion. I think that this is an
alternative, for example making the description of feeds and other
information in a readonly edit box. The problem is that in this case
it wouldn't be presented in browse mode, so we couldn't press enter to
open the link in the default browser. As far as I know, using the kind
of messages which can show the format of the text under the review
cursor (NVDA+f twice), presented also in browse mode, doesn't make
possible to open links in the default browser. For this reason it's
implemented the possibility of opening the current feed in browse mode
with the default browser.
Another alternative would be to use the About article button, where we
can use the review cursor to review and select for example the links,
and in this case the dialog can ask if we want to copy the information
to the clipboard. Let me know what you think about this. The button
can be accessed by a shortcut key like alt+a deppending on the
translated label.
I will see in the next days.
Kind regards

wrote:
[...]

Hello, I didn't know the module mentioned by you. I will test it and,
if it provides similar or better results, I will use it. Years ago I
needed to create this add-on for myself and then I found a snipped
showing how to parse feeds using minidom, and then I implemented it in
an add-on, considering that at that moment there was an add-on using
the xml library too.
If you have time, I may require your review for a PR on GitHub if I
decide to use this module.

Kind regards

wrote:
[...]

For example, if you need any generation of low html bit (perhaps as input to one of his models), the xml.etree package is a standard python package and can fit perfectly.
import sys
from xml.etree import ElementTree as ET
html = ET.Element('html')
body = ET.Element('body')
html.append(body)
div = ET.Element('div', attrib={'class': 'foo'})
body.append(div)
span = ET.Element('span', attrib={'class': 'bar'})
div.append(span)
span.text = "Hello World"
if sys.version_info < (3, 0, 0):
  # python 2
  ET.ElementTree(html).write(sys.stdout, encoding='utf-8',
                             method='html')
else:
  # python 3
  ET.ElementTree(html).write(sys.stdout, encoding='unicode',
                             method='html')
Prints the following:

Thank you.

Locutor Antonio Cezar