Share my NVDA addon: Subtitle Reader #addon

福恩

overview:

When you use a browser to watch videos, assist NVDA in finding CC subtitles on the page and have NVDA read and display them in real-time with speech and braille.

Subtitle Reader currently supported Netflix, Disney+, Youtube and other website.

For more information, Please read the addon docs file.

Download URL:
https://github.com/maxe-hsieh/subtitle_reader/releases/latest/download/subtitle_reader.nvda-addon

Project page:
https://github.com/maxe-hsieh/subtitle_reader

Noelia Ruiz

Hello:

Thanks for sharing this add-on. I'm trying to make it work, for
example, with the video shared by NV Access at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks7AwV_uxO0&embeds_euri=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nvaccess.org%2F&feature=emb_imp_woyt

I try to activate subtitles and cannot get feedback from the add-on.
Can you explain if this video can be used for testing, or could you
share a link to a video tested by you?

Also, since you're sharing this with the international community, I'd
suggest you that messages like produced when pressing NVDA+y are
available in English. Also, in case you want improve your add-on with
help of reviewers, there will be useful that comments in code are in
English to, if you can. But at least the add-on summary and messages,
also for a wide range of users, maybe in English and then translated
to other languages.
Thanks andkind regards.

overview:

When you use a browser to watch videos, assist NVDA in finding CC subtitles
on the page and have NVDA read and display them in real-time with speech and
braille.

Subtitle Reader currently supported Netflix, Disney+, Youtube and other
website.

For more information, Please read the addon docs file.

Download URL:
https://github.com/maxe-hsieh/subtitle_reader/releases/latest/download/subtitle_reader.nvda-addon

Project page:
https://github.com/maxe-hsieh/subtitle_reader

福恩

Hello Noelia Ruiz

First of all, regarding the language issue, I considered this problem before sharing here, and decided to at least try my best to translate the prompt messages and documentation files within the addon into English. But I don't know why you didn't hear the English prompt messages.

Regarding the video link you provided, I tested the results in my OS environment, and the reader works well. So what I was worried about has indeed happened. I find it difficult to simulate the same system environment, location and language settings as you, which makes it difficult for me to find the reason why the reader does not work in your environment. So I would like to ask more experienced developers to give me guidance on solving the problem.

Thank you for your feedback, but I'm sorry, I am currently unable to resolve the issue you are facing.

Noelia Ruiz

Hello:

I can hear messages produced by NVDA+y if I set NVDA to English, but
not using my default language (Spanish).
I see that in the locale folder there's an en subfolder, and the
messages in __init__.py are writen in your language.
You my try to write messages in the Python file (and if you want, also
comments) in English and create locales for languages like Chinese and
others.
For some reason, with Firefox Nightly, I don't get feedback in focus
mode nor in browse mode.

[...]

Rui Fontes

In my system, using the NVAccess video, the subtitles were read...

My system is in portuguese and I did not translate the add-on, but I am willing to do that....

Rui Fontes

Às 15:59 de 29/01/2023, 福恩 escreveu:

[...]

Florian Beijers

I gave this one a go :)

@Noelia make sure you turn the subtitles on with c, they often aren't by default.

SOme observations:

- On youtube videos with auto-generated captions, the subs are seemingly generated word for word. That means the addon will also spit them at you word for word which is a little disorienting but I don't think there's really all that much to be done for that. I did notice that at times, it's more than one word in which case the words have no space in between them. That might be something to look into at least minimizing, although again, I understand this is largely the fault of the source material, not so much the addon :)

Tried it on a youtube video that had subtitles that were explicitly added, as well as on Netflix, and that worked fine in Chrome and Edge, although it didn't work for me on Firefox. So if that is meant to work that might require a bit more testing.
Overall I love that this exists, going to have to find out what other sites this works with.

Op zo 29 jan. 2023 om 15:19 schreef Noelia Ruiz <nrm1977@...>:

Hello:

Thanks for sharing this add-on. I'm trying to make it work, for
example, with the video shared by NV Access at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks7AwV_uxO0&embeds_euri=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nvaccess.org%2F&feature=emb_imp_woyt

I try to activate subtitles and cannot get feedback from the add-on.
Can you explain if this video can be used for testing, or could you
share a link to a video tested by you?

Also, since you're sharing this with the international community, I'd
suggest you that messages like produced when pressing NVDA+y are
available in English. Also, in case you want improve your add-on with
help of reviewers, there will be useful that comments in code are in
English to, if you can. But at least the add-on summary and messages,
also for a wide range of users, maybe in English and then translated
to other languages.
Thanks andkind regards.

> overview:
>
> When you use a browser to watch videos, assist NVDA in finding CC subtitles
> on the page and have NVDA read and display them in real-time with speech and
> braille.
>
> Subtitle Reader currently supported Netflix, Disney+, Youtube and other
> website.
>
> For more information, Please read the addon docs file.
>
> Download URL:
> https://github.com/maxe-hsieh/subtitle_reader/releases/latest/download/subtitle_reader.nvda-addon
>
> Project page:
> https://github.com/maxe-hsieh/subtitle_reader

Noelia Ruiz

Thanks @Florian. I've pressed c. Anyway, if you or someone can provide
exact steps with a predefined video, I'll try again.

[...]

Here's part of NVDA's logrelated to this add-on, in case it's useful:

File "gui\__init__.pyc", line 761, in Notify
File "C:\Users\nrm19\AppData\Roaming\nvda\addons\subtitle_reader\globalPlugins\subtitle_reader\__init__.py",
line 151, in readSubtitle
subtitle = self.subtitleAlg.getSubtitle()
File "C:\Users\nrm19\AppData\Roaming\nvda\addons\subtitle_reader\globalPlugins\subtitle_reader\youtube.py",
line 31, in getSubtitle
self.speakChapter()
File "C:\Users\nrm19\AppData\Roaming\nvda\addons\subtitle_reader\globalPlugins\subtitle_reader\youtube.py",
line 151, in speakChapter
text = self.getChapter()
File "C:\Users\nrm19\AppData\Roaming\nvda\addons\subtitle_reader\globalPlugins\subtitle_reader\youtube.py",
line 162, in getChapter
obj = self.main.videoPlayer.lastChild.firstChild
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'lastChild'
ERROR - unhandled exception (21:56:26.121) - MainThread (9556):

<nrm1977@...>:

[...]

Cagri Dogan

Hi Nolia,

My humble guess is that the log you’ve sent is because you’re not located on the object including the video. Try visiting this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNqXq5eOA2A

in browse mode press o to move on to the imbedded object. If you don’t hear NVDA reading the subtitle, switch to focus mode and tab to the button related to subtitle and press space or c to enable if it is disabled. If you still don’t hear NVDA reading subtitles, press NVDA+y to switch subtitle reader.

<nrm1977@...>:
> Thanks @Florian. I've pressed c. Anyway, if you or someone can provide
> exact steps with a predefined video, I'll try again.

>> I gave this one a go :)
>>
>> @Noelia make sure you turn the subtitles on with c, they often aren't by
>> default.
>>
>> SOme observations:
>>
>> - On youtube videos with auto-generated captions, the subs are seemingly
>> generated word for word. That means the addon will also spit them at you
>> word for word which is a little disorienting but I don't think there's
>> really all that much to be done for that. I did notice that at times,
>> it's
>> more than one word in which case the words have no space in between them.
>> That might be something to look into at least minimizing, although again,
>> understand this is largely the fault of the source material, not so much
>> the addon :)
>>
>> Tried it on a youtube video that had subtitles that were explicitly
>> added,
>> as well as on Netflix, and that worked fine in Chrome and Edge, although
>> it
>> didn't work for me on Firefox. So if that is meant to work that might
>> require a bit more testing.
>> Overall I love that this exists, going to have to find out what other
>> sites
>> this works with.
>>

>> Op zo 29 jan. 2023 om 15:19 schreef Noelia Ruiz <nrm1977@...>:
>>
>>> Hello:
>>>
>>> Thanks for sharing this add-on. I'm trying to make it work, for
>>> example, with the video shared by NV Access at
>>>

>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks7AwV_uxO0&embeds_euri=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nvaccess.org%2F&feature=emb_imp_woyt
>>>
>>> I try to activate subtitles and cannot get feedback from the add-on.
>>> Can you explain if this video can be used for testing, or could you
>>> share a link to a video tested by you?
>>>
>>> Also, since you're sharing this with the international community, I'd
>>> suggest you that messages like produced when pressing NVDA+y are
>>> available in English. Also, in case you want improve your add-on with
>>> help of reviewers, there will be useful that comments in code are in
>>> English to, if you can. But at least the add-on summary and messages,
>>> also for a wide range of users, maybe in English and then translated
>>> to other languages.
>>> Thanks andkind regards.

>>> subtitles
>>> and

>>> https://github.com/maxe-hsieh/subtitle_reader/releases/latest/download/subtitle_reader.nvda-addon

Noelia Ruiz

Hello. Thanks for your suggestion, and BTW for sharing this video
since really I'm interested in Chomsky (among other authors).
Unfortunately following your recommendations I still get this error:

ERROR - unhandled exception (08:04:36.039) - MainThread (7932):
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "gui\__init__.pyc", line 760, in Notify
File "C:\Users\ESTENOTIPIA_1\AppData\Roaming\nvda\addons\subtitle_reader\globalPlugins\subtitle_reader\__init__.py",
line 151, in readSubtitle
subtitle = self.subtitleAlg.getSubtitle()
File "C:\Users\ESTENOTIPIA_1\AppData\Roaming\nvda\addons\subtitle_reader\globalPlugins\subtitle_reader\youtube.py",
line 31, in getSubtitle
self.speakChapter()
File "C:\Users\ESTENOTIPIA_1\AppData\Roaming\nvda\addons\subtitle_reader\globalPlugins\subtitle_reader\youtube.py",
line 151, in speakChapter
text = self.getChapter()
File "C:\Users\ESTENOTIPIA_1\AppData\Roaming\nvda\addons\subtitle_reader\globalPlugins\subtitle_reader\youtube.py",
line 162, in getChapter
obj = self.main.videoPlayer.lastChild.firstChild
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'lastChild'

No idea about what's happening. Hope this can be fixed.

________________________________

<nrm1977@...>:
[...]

Hi Nolia, I was able to watch the video on that link with NVDA reading spanish subtitle. Unfortunately I can only catch a few words but that is because my lack of language skills. BTW browser was Microsoft Edge version 109.0.1518.70

Hello. Thanks for your suggestion, and BTW for sharing this video
since really I'm interested in Chomsky (among other authors).
Unfortunately following your recommendations I still get this error:

ERROR - unhandled exception (08:04:36.039) - MainThread (7932):
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "gui\__init__.pyc", line 760, in Notify
  File "C:\Users\ESTENOTIPIA_1\AppData\Roaming\nvda\addons\subtitle_reader\globalPlugins\subtitle_reader\__init__.py",
line 151, in readSubtitle
    subtitle = self.subtitleAlg.getSubtitle()
  File "C:\Users\ESTENOTIPIA_1\AppData\Roaming\nvda\addons\subtitle_reader\globalPlugins\subtitle_reader\youtube.py",
line 31, in getSubtitle
    self.speakChapter()
  File "C:\Users\ESTENOTIPIA_1\AppData\Roaming\nvda\addons\subtitle_reader\globalPlugins\subtitle_reader\youtube.py",
line 151, in speakChapter
    text = self.getChapter()
  File "C:\Users\ESTENOTIPIA_1\AppData\Roaming\nvda\addons\subtitle_reader\globalPlugins\subtitle_reader\youtube.py",
line 162, in getChapter
    obj = self.main.videoPlayer.lastChild.firstChild
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'lastChild'

No idea about what's happening. Hope this can be fixed.

> Hi Nolia,
> My humble guess is that the log you’ve sent is because you’re not located on
> the object including the video. Try visiting this link:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNqXq5eOA2A
>
> in browse mode press o to move on to the imbedded object. If you don’t hear
> NVDA reading the subtitle, switch to focus mode and tab to the button
> related to subtitle and press space or c to enable if it is disabled. If you
> still don’t hear NVDA reading subtitles, press NVDA+y to switch subtitle
> reader.
>
> ________________________________

Which browser are you using?

Noelia Ruiz

Hello:

I'm using Firefox Nightly 111.0a1 (2023-01-29) (64-bit) 111.0a1
(2023-01-29) (64-bit). Hope this helps

Hello Noelia Ruiz:

Which browser are you using?

Manolo

Hello everyone!

I like the idea of ​​the addon but with Firefox version 109.0 it doesn't work.

Greetings!

Il 30/01/2023 09:25, Noelia Ruiz ha scritto:
Hello:

I'm using Firefox Nightly 111.0a1 (2023-01-29) (64-bit) 111.0a1
(2023-01-29) (64-bit). Hope this helps

Hello Noelia Ruiz:

Which browser are you using?

Manolo

I managed to get it working with this video but it only reads a few words:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPcRE3h10lk

Il 30/01/2023 17:36, Manolo via groups.io ha scritto:
Hello everyone!

I like the idea of ​​the addon but with Firefox version 109.0 it doesn't work.

Greetings!

Il 30/01/2023 09:25, Noelia Ruiz ha scritto:
Hello:

I'm using Firefox Nightly 111.0a1 (2023-01-29) (64-bit) 111.0a1
(2023-01-29) (64-bit). Hope this helps

Hello Noelia Ruiz:

Which browser are you using?

Rowen Cary

Hello Noelia, From what I've tested the add-on doesn't work if the "accessibility.cache" option in FireFox is enabled. You can check this by typing "about:config" in FireFox address bar and filtering for "accessibility.cache".

Hope this works for you.

On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 04:26 PM, Noelia Ruiz wrote:

Hello:

I'm using Firefox Nightly 111.0a1 (2023-01-29) (64-bit) 111.0a1 (2023-01-29) (64-bit). Hope this helps

福恩

Hello everyone:

A fixable bug in Subtitle Reader was found in Firefox nightly, please wait for a new version.

Noelia Ruiz

Thanks @Rowen Cary. Have a nice day.

Enviado desde mi iPhone

El 31 ene 2023, a las 1:06, Rowen Cary <manchen_0528@...> escribió:

Hello Noelia, From what I've tested the add-on doesn't work if the "accessibility.cache" option in FireFox is enabled. You can check this by typing "about:config" in FireFox address bar and filtering for "accessibility.cache".

Hope this works for you.

On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 04:26 PM, Noelia Ruiz wrote:

Hello:

I'm using Firefox Nightly 111.0a1 (2023-01-29) (64-bit) 111.0a1 (2023-01-29) (64-bit). Hope this helps

Thanks, I"ll install the new version when available.

Enviado desde mi iPhone

El 31 ene 2023, a las 2:37, 福恩 <maxe@...> escribió:

Hello everyone:

A fixable bug in Subtitle Reader was found in Firefox nightly, please wait for a new version.

Simone Dal Maso

Hello 福恩 ,
I translated the addon into italian just for having an easy approach.
I have a technical question, I hope you can help me.
How can I determine if on youtube a video has the cc subtitles?
I'd like to use it on Youtube, but I see that not all videos with subtitles can be read.
Are there more manner to put subtitles on youtube?
Thank you.